Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to tap in to the wiring inside and add a USB port to power my dash cam. Any tips on getting the console out?

I thought I had seen a post on the subject, but couldn’t find it again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. It is ridiculously simple. Clips in the corners pop right out. I used a trim tool to pry next to each clip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
68,135 Posts
Yeah, and pray it doesn't break like glass. :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I planned on doing the same but my buddy who owns a shop said that there may not be enough power for a dash cam and there is no power-on-ignition so it would be a constant drain.

Your best bet would be to stuff the line into the space between the roof and ceiling liner and run the line the windshield frame (inside the channel, under the molding) down to the fuse box for power-on-ignition.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I planned on doing the same but my buddy who owns a shop said that there may not be enough power for a dash cam and there is no power-on-ignition so it would be a constant drain.

Your best bet would be to stuff the line into the space between the roof and ceiling liner and run the line the windshield frame (inside the channel, under the molding) down to the fuse box for power-on-ignition.
This is what I did. Took all of 10 minutes. Fuse tapped an IGN fuse, ran it up the A pillar near the door seal, around the top of the A pillar, then between the liner and windshield over to my mirror. Where I have my dash cam you can barely see it inside the cabin, and it blends into the mirror looking from the outside.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is what I did. Took all of 10 minutes. Fuse tapped an IGN fuse, ran it up the A pillar near the door seal, around the top of the A pillar, then between the liner and windshield over to my mirror. Where I have my dash cam you can barely see it inside the cabin, and it blends into the mirror looking from the outside.
Got some pics of how it looks from the outside/inside? I'm seriously thinking of doing this because of the crazy stuff I see happening on the highways these days... I almost got sideswiped by a little cobalt this morning at 80mph .... how you can't see the big azz copperish orange (Moab Sunset) truck right there in the left lane is beyond me.....

And what type of cam did you end up with?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I have a Rexing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/. I also bought their hardwire kit because it was only $10, and I didn't feel like making one myself. I just cut the fuse off the hardwire kit and soldered the hot wire onto a fuse tap. Did this for my truck and my wife's car. I had pictures of it on my phone, but I must have deleted them. I'll get you some later today.

So far it's been great, and thankfully I haven't had to use it other than show friends some of the idiots I deal with on a daily basis.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Here's where it is from inside the truck. It's either been dark or raining, and I can't get a good picture from outside. I'll try in the garage today after work, but since it's directly in front of the mirror you can really only see it if you're looking for it. The wire goes straight up to the headliner, then over the passenger area, down the A pillar, into the fuse box.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I'll definitely be looking into this...
The only bad part is if you want it to save a recording you have to hit a button on it, and it can be difficult to look up under the mirror. I put either a 64 or 128GB card in it though, so it holds a lot of recordings before it has to erase them. It'll support a 256GB card though, which you can get for under $40 now. Night vision is pretty decent as long as you have good headlights, during the day it's super clear and not choppy at all. Here's a capture from a couple months ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Yes. That's coming out of a neighborhood where you get a left turn, straight, and right turn lane at the stop sign. He was texting and cut right into the middle of my lane after his left turn. When I blew the horn he didn't even stop, he just went around me to my right (his left) so even more in my lane. That's Memphis driving for you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also have a Rexing camera. I installed it just to the left of the rear view mirror so that the screen is visible (it automatically turns off after a few seconds so it isn't distracting) and the buttons are accessible. It is very hard to see from outside the truck except for the white adhesive pad I used to stick it to the windshield. The original that came with it was black, but it is only good for one use, and I relocated it from my old truck.

One thing that I have found with this particular brand of camera is that it will destroy SD cards unless you reformat them on a regular basis.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think there are a few threads about dash cams on the Titan XD forum as well... I'll look those cams up too... I like the compactness of that cam though... I just want something that's not really noticeable but can back me up in court, just as a precaution....

·
Registered
172 Posts
@LaxDfns15 ... Just curious if you ran the wiring thru the channel that's right by the rearview mirror up to the headliner? I'm still looking for a good auto-dimming rearview mirror as mine didn't have that option for some reason.... What fuse did you finally go to for the IGN on?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I just put it near it. I wanted to be able to remove it easily if I had to. I think gen 2 fuse boxes are on the driver side as opposed to gen 1 being on passenger? Just run it the same way, up and over. Anyway, I used the Cig Lighter fuse (15A) that comes on with ACC. This way it's only on while running or if I'm sitting on ACC power (sitting in a parking lot or something). I didn't take a picture of my fuse box because it's embarrassing how many taps I have pulled off that thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ohhhh.... looks like you have an auto dimming rearview mirror.... I might have asked you before but what's the P/N on the back of your mirror?

You see that channel I was talking about? I was looking up that way a few days ago and noticed that...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts