Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have rebuilt your shocks, how are you removing your coil springs for when taking apart the shock? I tried your typical "spring compressors" and the Eibach springs laughed at those. It got to the point where I didn't feel safe trying to compress them anymore. Any other suggestions?

I don't really want to lower the height adjustment on the coilover, for the springs, since the allen bolt is seized up in the shocks and I can't loosen for adjustment. But if it comes to that, I guess I'll go ahead with that method.

I'm trying to make this as easy as possible, but taking them off the truck ruined that experience.... :mad: The tophat, upper bolt and upper eyelet are all destroyed thanks to the upper bolt seizing itself to the tophat. And yes, I did put anti-seize on the bolt when I first put it in place....so much for that.:huh:

So, out came the Ingersoll Rand cut off tool...............again.....

Anyways, lend me some advice! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I took mine to an automotive shop, Tuffys, and had them do it. $40.00 done in ten minutes.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Idk what more to advise other than what Herb just said.

When I replaced my springs I got a kit from AutoZone and had to use air tools. It was still a PITA but I managed.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don't have a manual, I've seen people reference putting the spring back in the right way. do they mean so the side with the white rubber is on the lower and it's sitting in the groves on both top and lower spring caps? or does it have to face a certain way in them AND in the truck? mine are seated properly in the upper and lower coil caps but I wasn't sure if I had to maneuver the entire spring a certain way in the truck...

sorry figured it was related so didn't want to start another thread...

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't have a manual, I've seen people reference putting the spring back in the right way. do they mean so the side with the white rubber is on the lower and it's sitting in the groves on both top and lower spring caps? or does it have to face a certain way in them AND in the truck? mine are seated properly in the upper and lower coil caps but I wasn't sure if I had to maneuver the entire spring a certain way in the truck...

sorry figured it was related so didn't want to start another thread...
I have some pictures I took when I did it this summer to make sure I put them back on right...hopefully they can help. I will post asap.

Edit:

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
doing your front shocks is for people who have good knowledge on vehicle maintenance.
These shocks must be put back together the right way to what the service manual states

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Make sure the step on the bottom spring mount is facing the tire.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
He is talking about coilovers, I doubt you will be able to get them off without taking the preload off of them, there is no other way around it. Think about it its a 600 lbs spring so it takes 600lbs to compress it one inch, 1200 to compress is 2 and so on. If you start with preload say 2 inches you would have to have to have a compressor capable of 1800 lbs to even get it compressed 1 inch to take the lower spring seat off.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
doing your front shocks is for people who have good knowledge on vehicle maintenance.
These shocks must be put back together the right way to what the service manual states
I don't have a manual, and the SHOP that did it screwed me 3 times already so I have to go back and check everything they do. I thought it was a straight forward question myself... maybe I'm giving some kind of underlaying attitude?

basically I was hoping someone could either explain or copy a section out of the manual where it explains it.

the spring only sits one way the top or bottom spring caps. it takes a retard to put it half way on a step or some crap. I was thinking maybe the azzhats put the top piece with the 3 studs on at a different location by spinning the very top or something... I suppose paying twice to have it redone to find out it's still wrong $550+ in stall charges alone means I'M not knowledgeable enough at maintenance...

and had I known it woulda been such BULLSHAT to do this damm bilstien install, I'd of got goddaym coilovers in the 1st place.. as for maintenance, I work on all our 2 stroke atv engines including cracking the block to change cases, crank bearing and seals.. I think I'm capable of doing a damm shock IF I had a manual. I didn't want to compress these semi large springs with crap compressors otherwise I would have just done the entire install myself...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is talking about coilovers, I doubt you will be able to get them off without taking the preload off of them, there is no other way around it. Think about it its a 600 lbs spring so it takes 600lbs to compress it one inch, 1200 to compress is 2 and so on. If you start with preload say 2 inches you would have to have to have a compressor capable of 1800 lbs to even get it compressed 1 inch to take the lower spring seat off.
That's what I figured....:crying: Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
ok I'll post this pages out of my service manual on the removal and installation of our front shocks and pic of what they look like installed

Attachments

Reactions: Hawaiianbasshead

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
EXACTLY!!!! The tech who compressed mine showed me his finger that got completely split in 1/2 from using those Autozone type compressors... A $12,000.00 ER bill puts things into perspective pretty quickly....

This is some kid's hand from just a little CAR spring:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/how-lower-your-car-w-springs-236611/

·
Registered
984 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
EXACTLY!!!! The tech who compressed mine showed me his finger that got completely split in 1/2 from using those Autozone type compressors... A $12,000.00 ER bill puts things into perspective pretty quickly....

This is some kid's hand from just a little CAR spring:

HOW-TO: Lower Your Car w/ Springs - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

thanks for the help! seems very easy, too bad I couldn't of just took it apart and started from there lol

ok I'll post this pages out of my service manual on the removal and installation of our front shocks and pic of what they look like installed
yeah, primary reason I didn't want to really do the compressor thing even if I coulda got one :(

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
here's how I have mine, I couldn't spin the top plate independent of the lower spring cap, but I did already have the step facing out as best as I could (basically lined up the single inner bolt of the triangle so the step would still face out...

I could try to do it better, but I think to get it good I have to compress the spring :(

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
ah, crap, the insulator cap is angled? I think the dix screwed me again :mad: I swear, when these guys shop blows up or burns to the ground I will be laughing...

I think you need to align the cap not only with the cap right below it, but with the proper side of the shock so the angle is facing in/out not like partly front to back or backwards even :mad: gotta somehow figure out how to check it without compressing the spring or just leave it alone :( really sick of these idiots who have a shop, charge $90/hour and don't know their azz from a hole in the ground... I hope they just kill themselves and get it over with... sigh, I wish I screwed it up myself so at least I wouldn't have to point the finger... and to of paid these liscensed morons to do it.... twice... and still not have it right after they fix the washer the 3rd trip... I need to drink..

·
Registered
115 Posts
subscribing..........................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts