Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the shop to have my resonators removed. I had 2 1/2" pipes put in with flanges so I could change them out if necessary. This is a great mod! There is more power up top and hardly any noise increase. The drone did not increase at all. When you start it up it sounds more like the way a flowmaster system should sound. It's throatier and deeper. There is just a very little hint of raspiness at the very upper end of the rpm range when floored. Although I think it had that before I pulled the resonators. If anyone is contemplating doing this, I highly recommend this low buck mod. This is the best bang for the buck, I think.

Exhaust Sound Clip

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Nice...I'm hoping to get mine done today, if I can find time. Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Listen

Steve,

You gotta come by and let me hear those muffs.

B.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
m95roadster said:
I just got back from the shop to have my resonators removed. I had 2 1/2" pipes put in with flanges so I could change them out if necessary. This is a great mod! There is more power up top and hardly any noise increase. The drone did not increase at all. When you start it up it sounds more like the way a flowmaster system should sound. It's throatier and deeper. There is just a very little hint of raspiness at the very upper end of the rpm range when floored. Although I think it had that before I pulled the resonators. If anyone is contemplating doing this, I highly recommend this low buck mod. This is the best bang for the buck, I think.

Exhaust Sound Clip
NICE!! Good job there partner!!
This Mod is on my list too! I am planning on doing this by early summer.
BTW, how did you lower your ride? I want to lower the rear by 2 inches just to level with the front. Any suggestions? Kits?
gr8Titan

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
tobz said:
Steve,

You gotta come by and let me hear those muffs.

B.
Will do, Tobz! I'll swing by your shop sometime this week. :cheers:

·
Registered
85 Posts
shop

Great. You know the number.

tobz

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Summit Racing has them. Search for "Dynomax Bullet Mufflers." BTW, IIRC m95roadster replaced his straight pipes with these as well.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Please help me out here!
I have a Banks exhaust and am happy with it, but will take a little more power, especially with a little more exhaust groan, wherever I can get it.
But alas I am resonator-challenged. What is the purpose of the resonators? If I remove, I just need to have the void filled in?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
CoachBoone said:
Please help me out here!
I have a Banks exhaust and am happy with it, but will take a little more power, especially with a little more exhaust groan, wherever I can get it.
But alas I am resonator-challenged. What is the purpose of the resonators? If I remove, I just need to have the void filled in?
Thanks.
A resonator is just there to quiet the exhaust a bit. It's pretty restrictive, I believe it's only like 2.5 inch opening. You can get something like free flow resonator (look for RB'sTitan's post) he has the Banks with Moroso free flow resonator and running that with the Volant, he dyno at 294 rwhp.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
CoachBoone said:
Please help me out here!
Thanks.
The 4x4s has 4 cats while the 4x2s have 2 cats and 2 resonators which are basically straight thru mini-mufflers. On the Titan the reso pipes neck down to 1.5" which severely resticts exhaust flow.

Sammy, you are correct. I did put in the Dynomax bullet resonators.

Here is a pic of the factory resonator and also one with 2.5" pipes and the dynomax bullets.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
baseballfanz said:
A resonator is just there to quiet the exhaust a bit. It's pretty restrictive, I believe it's only like 2.5 inch opening. You can get something like free flow resonator (look for RB'sTitan's post) he has the Banks with Moroso free flow resonator and running that with the Volant, he dyno at 294 rwhp.
It's closer to 1 7/8" The pipe is around 2" after the manifolds and necks down further at the resonator.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I have to do this.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Sammy Sandbag said:
It's closer to 1 7/8" The pipe is is around 2" after the manifolds and necks down further at the resonator.

and the resos dont got any sensors in them right? OK, and if we take off the resos...Im wondering bout smell...well I get a gas smell FROM THE TRUCK...lol...like will it raise emisions coming out or do this not help with emissions and only the cats do that?? Ive been puttin it off cuz I dont wanna get an old truck/car smell from the exhaust...Ive mentioned before bout my WS6 smelling real bad like gas and stuff...if I stood behind it it was like I was on a motorcycle and u could smell the oil and gas real bad...

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
m95roadster said:
The 4x4s has 4 cats while the 4x2s have 2 cats and 2 resonators which are basically straight thru mini-mufflers. On the Titan the reso pipes neck down to 1.5" which severely resticts exhaust flow.

Sammy, you are correct. I did put in the Dynomax bullet resonators.

Here is a pic of the factory resonator and also one with 2.5" pipes and the dynomax bullets.

that is the stock y pipe also though right?

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
pi3yeargrad said:
and the resos dont got any sensors in them right? OK, and if we take off the resos...Im wondering bout smell...well I get a gas smell FROM THE TRUCK...lol...like will it raise emisions coming out or do this not help with emissions and only the cats do that?? Ive been puttin it off cuz I dont wanna get an old truck/car smell from the exhaust...Ive mentioned before bout my WS6 smelling real bad like gas and stuff...if I stood behind it it was like I was on a motorcycle and u could smell the oil and gas real bad...
You're thinking of catalytic convertors. Resonators are just miniture mufflers.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts