Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a Mobile 1 oil filter and a Purolator Pure One filter and can't seem to decide. The Mobile 1 is rated just below the Purolator for filtering ability... but according to the commonly referenced oil filter study website, the Purolator could potentially cause flow restrictions...

This is an interesting filter design made by Purolator. Most of the construction of the Pure One is the same as the Purolator Premium Plus. The big difference is the filter element itself. It has a dense paper/fiber filter element that can filter very small particles. The result of this is cleaner oil exiting the element, but more oil restriction. Purolator addressed this by adding more filter material (more and deeper pleats). After seeing one of these filters cut open, I am apprehensive about this filter. It seems to have so many pleats that it is almost a solid chunk of filter element. It seems like it would end up restricting the flow, more than anything. Purolator has plenty of data on the filtration abilities of this filter and I don't doubt it, but they have no flow data. Even so, I don't see any major problems with this filter. It also sports a silicone anti-drainback valve and a PTFE treated nitrile rubber gasket.
Feedback appreciated!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

i guess rather than start a new thread i can tack on another question here as well...

this will be my first swap from dino to synth. okay to run the "blend" in there for 6k miles (i had planned on changing the synth every 6k) or should i run it for a few hundred and then drain/refill in order to flush the system?

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
To save you the trouble just buy the nissan filter and use Mobil1, thats what I do. Most filters are made by the same companies anyway.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so no probs with the OEM's going 6k before a change? equal filtration and such as the other filters?

·
Super Moderator
37,281 Posts
I've used both the OEM and the Purolator, using the latter now exclusively as you can buy it anywhere.

I believe the person you quoted is theorizing about a potential problem that just doesn't exist. Oil gauge has read the same using either filter. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 and go approx. 7500 between changes.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i went to mobil1 and pureone filters after 2800 miles, and change at a 6k interval. I have 48k on it and no issues.

the article you are referring to about the oil filter, sounds like the "bob the oil guy" article that has been out for a couple of years now. Its a good article with some interesting findings. But the analysis is not a very scientific, although the comments on filter design and media size is all good, it would need to be followed up with an operational test of the filters, which is doesn't do. Long and short, i've used Pureone, and have not had any issues.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
The Nissan oil filter works well and will go 6K just fine. I had the valve/lifter stick at start up useing the Mobil 1 filter on one of my trucks. They both wear the Nissan filter now

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
1 vote for WIX! My UOA all look good.

But really, the OEM is very good, or the M1. How many engines have died because of a bad filter design? Very rare, more die from not being maintained by the owner.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not to inject the "A" word into the mix, but I use the AMSOIL filter and their 0W-30 oil. No problems here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been using Mobil One with PureOne filters in my 700HP 2.0L 4 Cyl race motor for years with no oil related issues.

This motor is turbo and spins to 10,000 RPM with 32PSI of boost. I can't imagine our big weak motors having any issues with them.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
ericgst said:
I have been using Mobil One with PureOne filters in my 700HP 2.0L 4 Cyl race motor for years with no oil related issues.

This motor is turbo and spins to 10,000 RPM with 32PSI of boost. I can't imagine our big weak motors having any issues with them.
I'm proud of my 360 HP motor, even if it does take 5.6 litres to get it! :eveilgrin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.