Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had been looking online at ways to ranch carry long guns - my rifle and shotgun while on the ranch (365 acres - South Texas).

I went online and found pics of all types and the one that looked easiest were the door mount style, but they were all for chevy and fords and overpriced for what they were in my opinion.

I started looking at pics of when I had my door panels off and had a bunch of idea's running around but in the end this is what I did for under 20 bucks and some welding and weekend time.

I had an unused Quickfist mount in my garage and it was the first thing I though of when looking at the drivers door.... I used the quickfist to clamp around the door handle and then needed a U shapped catch for the rifle....I was at my dads place welding up some other projects when I remembered my wanting to make a door mount and he said, well just use this horseshoe - Perfect!!

using the quickfist its now removable and i just store it in the truck and only mount it when at the ranch.

so we got to welding and this is what we came up with....
PIC1:

I later wrapped it with tennis racquet tape and some baseball bat tape - im not crazy about that, i bought some 1/2 inch ID pipe insulation this morning and plan on wrapping it...to keep the gun from bouncing around. so its kinda still in work...

Next, I bought a large corner brace L-angle and simply sheet metal screwed it to the inside door panel sheet metal - I have since scratched this option as I came up with a better way using a 1/2 inch coupling.

So, the coupling shown below is the typical 1/2-13 x 1.75 inch long coupling. thread pitch is course 13 threads per inch.
however the 1.75 inch proved to long and i use a 1/2-13 x 1.25 inch long coupling and it worked perfectly.

with the speaker removed you can easily reach your hand in there.

I drilled the existing slotted tooling hole up to 1/2 inch and then used a 1/2-13 x 1 inch long hex head bolt with washers and lock nut washer then tightened the coupling. i then tested the eye bolt and ensured it rotated and stopped at the rotation angle i needed it too...

The eye bolt looks very short but its a 1/2-13 x 4 inch long.

I then reinstalled the door panel and simply looking through the grill and feeling carefully i was able to drill about a 9/16 inch hole nearly centered to the coupling into the door panel - so yes i have a hole way down low in my door panel but its not bad at all and hardly noticeable.

The mount was a flate plate I also found at local hardware store and I found some sponge sandpaper that I glued to the plate, with the rough sand paper up to keep gun from slipping - this works amazing!!

I ended up using a neodymium magnet to put the plate on the angle - if I were to do this again I would have welded it, especially now knowing the easily removable eyebolt now....but for now the magnet is insane strong and does not budge at all. its like a 2 inch diameter neodymium magnet.

the eyebolt is about 1/2 inch clearance above my rubber floor mat, so it barely worked out.

Pic2:

Final install pics with my shotgun on the door....
Pic3:

this pic you can see one on passenger side and one on my drivers side along with EP9 at center console:

The EP9 mount at the center console is linked on this other thread - post #74 of this thread:

Fun stuff...
-J

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its out of the way, im no small guy either im over 200lbs.

easy to quickly draw the gun on egress...

The screws to hold the horseshoe contraption were 1.5 inch/approx. 35mm length metric - M8 metric but 5/16 would have been perfect.

The base plate doesn't get in the way....you can see pics of how my foot is close to it when i drive but it doesn't bother or get in my way.

-J

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pipe foam wrap...gonna have to wrap it with baseball tape or something to hold it in place. this should snug up the gun well.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for those that seen the post - i came up with a much better way and updated the post and photos above:

Instead of the horse shoe design i have contemplated trying heavy duty magnet mounts but the horseshoe was just sitting there - screaming to be welded! LoL.

-J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts