Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Titan 5.6 l engine 4 X 4 (with 88,000 miles) and has the 2.94 Dana differential. A bolt come out of the ring gear while on a road trip. It did not damage the gears fortunately but punched a hole in the cover causing complete loss of the gear oil. I was in the process of backing up when this occurred. Upon inspection, I found 3 more out of the 10 ring gear bolts were loose. Has anyone else out there ever had this happen? Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Loctite

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Possibilities include:

new bolts cleaned and degreased, cleaned and degreased bolt holes, torqued to spec with red high strength high temp loctite 272

Safety wire drill jig of the appropriate size to cross drill the bolt heads, stainless steel safety wire, safety wire pliers to twist the safety wire.

Ring gear lock tabs a/k/a straps (I dunno if they make any that fit Nissan, they have been used on Land Rovers and Jeeps.)

See Tip # 21: https://www.markwilliams.com/bulletproof-12-bolt.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibilities include:

new bolts cleaned and degreased, cleaned and degreased bolt holes, torqued to spec with red high strength high temp loctite 272

Safety wire drill jig of the appropriate size to cross drill the bolt heads, stainless steel safety wire, safety wire pliers to twist the safety wire.

Ring gear lock tabs a/k/a straps (I dunno if they make any that fit Nissan, they have been used on Land Rovers and Jeeps.)

See Tip # 21: https://www.markwilliams.com/bulletproof-12-bolt.html
Thanks for the reply. I had a service tech at a Nissan dealership make the temporary repairs while we were on the road last week. He said he had never heard of this happening to the ring gear but did ask if it had ever been worked on. Since I bought it used from another Nissan dealership when it had 30,000 miles on it, it is possible that the previous owner had worked on the differential and failed to clean the bolts and holes, use Locktite and torque the bolts correctly. There is a date stamp on the ring gear indicating it was manufactured in July of 2010 so I believe it is the original equipment. BTW: back in the 1970's I was a line mechanic and still have some automotive mechanical knowledge but just can't do too much anymore at my age (68) with aging joints in my body. I am thankful I have some sons-in-law for help and this forum!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts