Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 CC 4WD 203k miles. no codes, no warnings/lights on the dash.

I am at a complete loss for what is causing this noise that vanishes when i turn left with some speed (think like a banked turn or sharper highway turn). if the wheel turns left about 60 degrees or so and 40mph+, my truck goes almost silent compared to "normal".

I honestly always thought it was just really loud tires, but I no longer think that. I think it was a problem since i got this truck 5 years ago, and I am now only finding after starting to taking care of things myself.

I had been getting irregular tire wear and so i was like, okay once i get it aligned and balanced, I'm sure this noise will disappear. So I went in for an alignment, and to double check the wheels were balanced (I was not worried about balance as I didn't feel any shimmy or anything at speeds other than stated above). Also rotated the tires, so not the tired with the weird wear are on the back.

Noise is still there, still disappears at the same time as before. Does not matter if it is in gear or not either.

Things that have been done that have not changed anything:
tires / balance / alignment - all checked
wheel bearing / hub assemblies - new MOOG on both sides
one CV axle (right) - it was cheaper / easier than replacing the torn boots
sway bar links (one snapped and tore the above boot)

I am now beginning to wonder if my sway bar is damaged or out of whack.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Are you positive it's coming from outside the truck? Maybe something hanging inside the truck that only contacts something when you turn left with enough force? Personally my keys are on a climbing carabiner so depending on the movement of the truck it'll hit stuff. I remember way back someone was complaining about a ticking noise when they came to a full stop, and it was something in the truck swaying and contacting something else.

Disconnecting the sway bar is the easiest way to check that. Just unbolt the links from each LCA and flip it up out of the way.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you positive it's coming from outside the truck? Maybe something hanging inside the truck that only contacts something when you turn left with enough force?

Disconnecting the sway bar is the easiest way to check that. Just unbolt the links from each LCA and flip it up out of the way.
Yes without a doubt, you can also feel it smooth out.

Thank you both for pointing out the obvious test i didn't think of. sometimes one can't see the forest for the trees as they say.
I will see if I can attempt that Sunday or maybe Saturday night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2005 CC 4WD 203k miles. no codes, no warnings/lights on the dash.

I am at a complete loss for what is causing this noise that vanishes when i turn left with some speed (think like a banked turn or sharper highway turn). if the wheel turns left about 60 degrees or so and 40mph+, my truck goes almost silent compared to "normal".

I honestly always thought it was just really loud tires, but I no longer think that. I think it was a problem since i got this truck 5 years ago, and I am now only finding after starting to taking care of things myself.

I had been getting irregular tire wear and so i was like, okay once i get it aligned and balanced, I'm sure this noise will disappear. So I went in for an alignment, and to double check the wheels were balanced (I was not worried about balance as I didn't feel any shimmy or anything at speeds other than stated above). Also rotated the tires, so not the tired with the weird wear are on the back.

Noise is still there, still disappears at the same time as before. Does not matter if it is in gear or not either.

Things that have been done that have not changed anything:
tires / balance / alignment - all checked
wheel bearing / hub assemblies - new MOOG on both sides
one CV axle (right) - it was cheaper / easier than replacing the torn boots
sway bar links (one snapped and tore the above boot)

I am now beginning to wonder if my sway bar is damaged or out of whack.
I had a noise at 5 mph turning right . My front shocks were rusting to pieces . I had the. Replaced front and back and that was resolved . Check the, see if they’re rusting. LE 06 came with Ranchos shocks they are discontinued for the off road package .

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a noise at 5 mph turning right . My front shocks were rusting to pieces .
So I replaced my sway bar bushings last night and the vibration is a lot less, but not gone. and still disappears completely in the same turns as before.
The sway bar links are pretty new MOOG links (less than 1k miles), I did top them with grease as well.

I guess the next thing is the shocks.....but that is outside of any budget right now. maybe after the new year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I replaced my sway bar bushings last night and the vibration is a lot less, but not gone. and still disappears completely in the same turns as before.
The sway bar links are pretty new MOOG links (less than 1k miles), I did top them with grease as well.

I guess the next thing is the shocks.....but that is outside of any budget right now. maybe after the new year.
I have the off Road shocks and struts package and rancho discontinued my mine I had problems finding a replacement . Yeah but are your front spring rusted and have pieces coming off ? I got all 4 done for my off road package for $1300. Noise went away. No more turning thumping grinding sound when turning .

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah but are your front spring rusted and have pieces coming off ?
I have the Big Tow package. the springs are pretty clean and rust free (surprisingly). I will post a couple shots later in the week and then get some feedback.
I saw that RockAuto had some Rancho leveling ones for like about 190 each delivered....even 380 is too steep right now, let alone 1300....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts