Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard nothing but positive reviews of this system. I'm wondering if there are any negative effects. I do a lot of off-roading, and I'm worried about it being too bouncy and rough over gravel roads and roads with pot-holes, high speed bumps etc. without a loaded bed. . I don't plan on changing my shocks in the near future either. I am getting this system for hauling so I'm looking at the mxiixf, and not the hd version as I don't tow at all. Any reviews or shared experiences is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
519 Posts
Looks promising, and if it helps loaded or un-loaded can't go wrong there. Might be looking at one of these also depending on the price....

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I have heard nothing but positive reviews of this system. I'm wondering if there are any negative effects. I do a lot of off-roading, and I'm worried about it being too bouncy and rough over gravel roads and roads with pot-holes, high speed bumps etc. without a loaded bed. . I don't plan on changing my shocks in the near future either. I am getting this system for hauling so I'm looking at the mxiixf, and not the hd version as I don't tow at all. Any reviews or shared experiences is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Looks promising, and if it helps loaded or un-loaded can't go wrong there. Might be looking at one of these also depending on the price....
:huh: Looks like a contraption :huh:

Get these :thumbsup:
PRG Products

PRG Products

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've thought about those but don't want to get the deavers, and shackles, and new shocks, and traction bars. Then I'm going to want to go higher in front to even out the added 1.5" to the rear height. I'm just looking for a good overload system that won't affect my ride quality unloaded and can maybe even enhance it

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Like I said, I don't plan on getting new shocks and I don't want to be 2.5" higher out back. Traction bars aren't what I'm looking for either. I'm looking at these for hauling without affecting ride quality and saw a lot of benefits for these over air bags and overload springs. I'm looking for opinions on this system not alternatives
a c10 deaver pack yields no lift, just the c30 does.

it looks too funky for me. havent seen many people use that kind of system on leaf springs before.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Youre mistaken. A c-10 pack does add about 2.5" of height to the rear of a 4wd.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The Roadmaster Active Suspension has had many threads; and buyers, on here. All user reviews have been positive. It seems like it will fit your particular application just perfectly. It may look like a contraption, but is a well established contraption. I've never seen a bad review on it, and only seen them resold 2 times, when somebody decided to Mod their truck further. The system does what it advertises, and reliably. Easy install. I almost bought one myself 2 years ago, but never load my carpeted bed much, and bought a nice 5x8 landscape trailer for hauling stuff.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks TitanBlue

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Youre mistaken. A c-10 pack does add about 2.5" of height to the rear of a 4wd.
my bad, i assumed u were 2wd (1.5")

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, thanks for the input

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'm looking at this (the Roadmaster Active Suspension) and it's just another type of overload spring...but using an extension spring instead of a leaf or set of leafs...

If you are carry a lot of payload, sure why not...but it still carries what you don't want desert running...more compression spring rate with out a increase in shock rebound rate to provide proper control...

Reactions: NorCal 4x4 and Nuke

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just purchased mine directly from Strutmasters in Roxboro, NC. Since I live 10 miles from the business I saved on shipping by letting me pick them up in person. When I get them installed, I will post a review. I have a 06 Titan 4x4 SE w/tow package Xcab all stock except bug guard and window vent guards. I tow a 09 Flagstaff 829RGSS approx. 6900lbs when I travel with a approx. 600-650lb tongue weight. After installing these I'm planning on putting a small golf cart in the bed when traveling with the travel trailer and hoping it helps stability and loading handling. Everything I've read and everyone I've talked to says it will and agree it is great product.:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just purchased mine directly from Strutmasters in Roxboro, NC. Since I live 10 miles from the business I saved on shipping by letting me pick them up in person. When I get them installed, I will post a review. I have a 06 Titan 4x4 SE w/tow package Xcab all stock except bug guard and window vent guards. I tow a 09 Flagstaff 829RGSS approx. 6900lbs when I travel with a approx. 600-650lb tongue weight. After installing these I'm planning on putting a small golf cart in the bed when traveling with the travel trailer and hoping it helps stability and loading handling. Everything I've read and everyone I've talked to says it will and agree it is great product.:)
How much did they run ya?

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the Roadmaster AS system on my truck. I do just "normal" offroading. You know, getting to fishing spots, driving on the hunting lease, across pastures, rain ruts, creeks, dirt roads, occasional muddy dirt road, that kind of thing. I'm not desert running or flexing it out rockcrawling or anything hardcore. Just letting you know how I use my truck so you know where I'm coming from. I've been trying to think of a downside to the setup and I really can't come up with one. It doesn't make the ride stiffer when unloaded (FYI the damn 5100 rear shocks DO make the ride stiffer). If anything it helps handling, it almost feels like there's a swaybar on the back. I've put a quad in the bed, along with hunting gear, 200lbs of corn, and an ice chest full of beer (most important item) and had little to no squat. I also tow fairly heavy livestock trailers without any sway or squat. I was going to go with the airbags (firestone or similar), but I got a deal on the AS system on ebay, $60 new. I took a gamble and bought it and I'm glad I did.

Reactions: Jiro

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the review lovehammer. Exactly what I was looking for

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nothing bad to say about the RAS, I looked into them. In the end, I decided to get air springs (Air Lift Ride Control) instead. My reasoning was that I wanted to be able to have the factory spring rate for daily driving. In your case, for continuous light hauling I wouldn't hesitate to try the RAS. The Ride Control kit costs about 200 bucks. RAS is about 225. Just another idea.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I have to echo all of the positive reviews about the Roadmaster system. I've been quite impressed with it and it's probably the best ~$270 i've spent on the truck. I picked up the HD version of the kit.

First, why the springs as opposed to airbags. Easy. Simplicity. I didn't want to have to deal with the maintenance of airbags and have to install a compressor to easily adjust truck height. I wanted something i could basically set and forget. I got enough to worry about each weekend loading the race trailer. Airbags also provide no stabilization/sway control like the roadmaster springs do. Hauling loads in the bed i'm glad to have the springs because i can safely make the emergency maneuvers i need to make to avoid the many stupid Seattle drivers on the roads around here.

I installed the kit and adjusted per the instructions. It did lift the back of the truck about .75" as a result, but i really don't mind. The feel of the truck without a load is awesome. Feels like an oversized sports car around the corners, haha. Body roll has been almost eliminated and the ride feels very firm and solid, just the way i like it. If you're used to nice soft ride, this may not be the kit for you. Me personally i'm used to my previous truck that i lifted with 33's so i'm used to a harsh ride. By no means is the titan+roadmaster harsh, but it is certainly firmer than stock and thus you feel more of the road.

I hauled a 2000 lb pallet loaded with rolls of carbon fiber a few weeks ago and i was EXTREMELY happy i had the roadmaster kit. The body roll with this load stacked above my roof would have been scary at best if i didn't have the roadmaster springs. With the roadmaster, truck handling felt same as usual, but of coarse slower accel from the load.

I often tow a 28' race trailer weighing anywhere from 7,000 lbs to 11,000 lbs when we travel to Michigan or California. Yes, i know, it's over the limit of the truck, but oh well, the truck hauls it without issue. With the trailer being so long and heavy and the titan with it's relatively short wheelbase and weighing only 5100lbs, i have to run about 1000 lbs tongue weight otherwise i get some nasty sway coming down the hills with the trailer pushing the truck. The addition of the equilizer hitch has made the truck and trailer much less sensitive to low tongue weight induced sway. Previously i was using a WD hitch, but it had no sway control. Before the roadmaster springs, i was close to bottoming out the suspension in the rear and as a result, the ride was very rough with the trailer. Not anymore though. The ride feels great!

The usual towing trip is Seattle to Tacoma and back each weekend. This stretch of I-5 has a nice stretch of road with lovely expansion joints that, without the Roadmaster system, made for a miserable stretch of road to travel with a loaded trailer and truck. With the roadmaster you of course still feel the joints but instead of harsh, sudden jolts over each joint, i just get a consistent movement of the suspension. It feels like everything is doing its job as a result. Very nice.

Overall, i wouldn't be comfortable using (and abusing) my truck in the way i do without the roadmaster springs. I bought this truck to do just about everything and i've been extremely impressed with this beast. Like i said, 11,000 lb trailer to Michigan and back with no issues. To California and back through the grapevine, again without issues. You won't be sorry with the roadmaster springs.

I hope that helps you make your decision. :)

To cope with the excessive tow loads i subject the truck to, i have made some modifications to the truck beyond just the springs. I've replaced the old shackles with the updated gusseted and completely welded versions. Have the PML diff cover (w/ .75 wts extra fluid capacity) and PML transmission sump with addition 3.5 qts of fluid capacity. Replaced and upgraded all my soft transmission lines to prevent failure. Installed Load Range E 10 ply tires. Using the Tekonsha P3 brake controller.

Pictures of what i tow:

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great info. Thanks for the replies

1 - 20 of 26 Posts