Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, long time first time - I've got a 2005 Titan that wouldn't start up this morning. It almost did, it wanted to turn over, but died pretty quick. I looked under the car and saw this wire a squirrel or something chewed up and left in pieces under the truck. Any idea what this wire is for and if it can be repaired or replaced? Or am I in a world of hurt now? I've included photos of where the wire was located and the ends that were left attached. Also, if anyone has any ideas about how to keep critters out from under or inside the truck, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any insights!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Tread
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Amber Art Twig Font Slope

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
823 Posts
Seems like it would be pretty straight forward repair job. Solder new wires to correct colors accordingly and reconnect everything. As to what it controls, that I do not have the answer to right off the bat without looking through some diagrams. Perhaps wrapping it completely with electrical tape, then some wire loom. They have a few products on the market to keep critters away, Google is your friend there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seems like it would be pretty straight forward repair job. Solder new wires to correct colors accordingly and reconnect everything. As to what it controls, that I do not have the answer to right off the bat without looking through some diagrams. Perhaps wrapping it completely with electrical tape, then some wire loom. They have a few products on the market to keep critters away, Google is your friend there.
Hey guys, long time first time - I've got a 2005 Titan that wouldn't start up this morning. It almost did, it wanted to turn over, but died pretty quick. I looked under the car and saw this wire a squirrel or something chewed up and left in pieces under the truck. Any idea what this wire is for and if it can be repaired or replaced? Or am I in a world of hurt now? I've included photos of where the wire was located and the ends that were left attached. Also, if anyone has any ideas about how to keep critters out from under or inside the truck, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any insights!
View attachment 561032 View attachment 561033 View attachment 561034 View attachment 561031
After you finish it up wrap it up with Honda rodent tape so it does not happen again.. its around $50 on eBay or you can try your local Honda dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I've figured out from the OBD code P0335 that the chewed up wire goes to the crankshaft position sensor, which definitely explains why the truck won't start. There's a solid foot and change of wire chewed out, but I'm hoping it can fixed relatively easily. Getting my Titan towed to the mechanic next week. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but once rodents get their smell into something they tend to attract others.

I went through it with a mouse nest in an old Honda Goldwing. They ate up the radio harness and there was a huge nest in the fairing. I cleaned it out and fixed the radio. The first damage occurred prior to my ownership.

The bike was left outside over the winter and they got in again and chewed up the replacement radio harness.

I read online there are no cure-alls but if you use the vehicle that’s huge.

I kept finding acorns in the intake, under the seat and on top of the engine even during the early fall while the bike saw use a few times a week most weeks.

The advice I followed that worked pretty well: mesh over intakes. Next is smell. If a rodent really wants to be there they’ll deal with it. Changing up the smells is supposed to help a lot. I just kept adding to my stash under the cycle cover.

In order of effectiveness on “my” rodents from most to least effective: moth balls (left in plastic bag with holes poked in it), a chunk of Fels Naptha Bar Soap, a pill bottle of chili powder/flake.

Over the winter I resorted to rodent poison bait but it’s not really good as birds of prey and other animals you don’t mean to kill can ingest the rodent or the bait directly and die.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update for anyone following - truck is repaired with a new harness section spliced in. Total cost was around $460 including the tow, so overall not nearly as bad as I feared. Now to stock up on peppermint oil (or powdered fox urine) and some traps. And find a new parking spot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts