Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys totally new. This is my 2nd truck and happy to now have a Titan! I have an 06 and the roof has pretty bad case of clear coat and paint coming off. I’m pretty sure this is a common problem and I just want to know my options. I don’t really care much about it looking perfect just don’t need it to get worse. Is it possible to get someone to just re clear coat it??? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys totally new. This is my 2nd truck and happy to now have a Titan! I have an 06 and the roof has pretty bad case of clear coat and paint coming off. I’m pretty sure this is a common problem and I just want to know my options. I don’t really care much about it looking perfect just don’t need it to get worse. Is it possible to get someone to just re clear coat it??? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
68,864 Posts
It's not going to get any better, I'm sorry to say.

IMG_2677.jpg

·
Super Moderator
160,322 Posts
You could just do what F1Fan did and take a power washer to it. Just get it over with.

·
Premium Member
68,864 Posts
Yep.Take the power washer to it, and no more worrying about endless waxing and washing. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, that's just clear coat. There's quite a few options you can do. I agree with the others, in saying that just power wash it all off and be done. Since you said you're not too worried about it being perfect. Then just get a good rubbing compound and carnuba wax and spend an hour after a wash putting those on and you're solid.

There's other low cost options like dipping or wraps, but not worth it from what you said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To answer your question, yes, I understand they can re-spray the clear, but it will be more costly than you would think.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah just pressure wash off the remaining clear. I would then come behind with a clay bar, then rubbing compound, polish, then finish with a carnauba wax. The shine should be decent and you won't have to worry about anything else flaking off.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Many trucks of that era have this problem on the roof and hood. I solved it by having my local bodyshop strip and repaint those two areas and blend the smoke paint into the fenders and doors. Cost here in Colorado was about $1300 a few years ago. Held up beautifully since then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 2004 that both the roof and hood paint went to hell over a two year period. I was looking at getting the truck painted but ended up trading it in. Once the clear coat is gone you have about 9 months before the paint starts looking like crap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On my Silver 2004, the paint on the front edges of the roof is fading and "chalking". The hood and rest of the body are still doing fine. The truck has spent its entire life outdoors. The paint on the roof probably would have lasted longer if I had waxed it more often - I sometimes skipped it when waxing the rest of the truck, because I have to stand on a step stool to reach the middle of the roof, and I'll readily admit that I probably just skipped the roof every other waxing.

Now that the early year Titans are up to 16 years old, I've seen quite a few of them with badly faded / peeling paint on the hoods and roofs. I've never seen the clear coat peeling off as seen in the picture above.

More importantly, I've also been seeing a few with rust perforations, and if I can spot the license plate, it's always from a heavy salt use state - more salt than mine sees in PA, anyway. I see far more rusty Chevy, Ford, and Dodge trucks from the same time period and areas of the country.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts