Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, quick question, just bought a 23ft weekend warrior, weighs 6000lbs maybe 7000 loaded, before i pull it for the first time got any must does i need to do? I already have a brake controller on order, will i have to add airbags to fix any sagging problems? Anything else? Also i plan on lifting my truck soon any suggestions after i do that for pulling the trailer. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
My trailer weighs about the same. I added the Firestone air bags and thought they were well worth the price. I think you would also want a sway bar for that amount of weight. I use the Equalizer and have not had any problems. Good luck, the truck will pull it very well!!!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I would say to find a nice level parking lot and the instruction for your hitch, take the time to dial it in correctly. Many people just get it close, and get away with that, but to get the most out of that hitch, it needs to be set-up perfectly...Only after that will you know how bad you might need airbags.

I'll tell you this, the stock rear shocks suck! And that means the off-road Ranchos also.

Load as much stuff in the trailer as possible, and to the rear. Toy haulers have a lot of tongue weight and that kills the payload of any 1/2 ton truck quick.
Try not to tow with a full fresh water tank is possible, that will save hundreds of pounds of axle and tongue weight.

Lastly, tow in 4th gear and on grades and hills, downshift to 3rd before the trans does...don't worry if you run at 3500-3800 rpm for 10-15 miles if needed to, the Titans engine is designed to run like that.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Follow the advice given and you should be fine, I have a 2007 FS2300 as well and have been very happy with my setup. I did add the RAS after removing the airbags but due to the ride when not towing, when towing they worked great.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Surprisingly, with a 7K lb trailer you're just about at the limit of the truck according to the specs. The 9400 lb tow rating assumes basically nothing in the bed or truck... barely even a driver.

I tow a 7,500 lb TT and am pretty surprised when I roll through the scales. Stuff adds up quick. I'd definitely recommend hitting a scale so you know what you're actually rolling at.

As for specific advice about where to load you TV and TT I'd have to disagree with a blanket statement to 'add weight in X location' - Every trailer is different and as close to the limit as you are it will take a bit of work to really know where and how you should load things that you have a choice of.

A tongue weight scale is a good place to start. If you have time at a truck scale you can simulate it. I tow with a weight dist. hitch the following are my usual numbers when rolling through. I've towed a couple thousand miles with my setup and am reasonably happy with it...

Front axle - 3200
Rear axle - 3400
TT axles - 6200

The weight dist hitch does a nice job of taking the load off of the bed (tongue weight). Ideally, you want your tongue weight to be from 10 - 15% of the trailer weight. Really, 10% is the bare minimum. Low tongue weight increases your sway so if you have a good sway control you might be able to run that way better.

As someone mentioned the bed/tongue weight is the weak link in the chain for sure. Air bags and/or better shocks will help that for sure. Overall, your setup is okay and likely within the ratings for the truck. If your like me, it's not by as much as I thought when I bought the trailer. I just remember the Titan commercials with that 9400 lb number being flashed all over. Really, it's boderline fraudulent how they advertise that... but every manufacturer does it.

The power of the truck is actually fine with that much weight. I will likely end up upgrading my truck someday to a superduty of some type just for the added weight of the tow vehicle.

I've learned a mountain of information at rv.net in the towing and tow vehicles section. Just be carful as the crusty old weight police crowd love to beat up on half ton truck owners... good luck.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
As for specific advice about where to load you TV and TT I'd have to disagree with a blanket statement to 'add weight in X location' - Every trailer is different and as close to the limit as you are it will take a bit of work to really know where and how you should load things that you have a choice of.
Yes every trailer is different, but toy haulers have more tongue weight then most travel trailers...

·
Registered
679 Posts
loufish said:
Yes every trailer is different, but toy haulers have more tongue weight then most travel trailers...
True... But, telling someone where to load a trailer site unseen is bad advice.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
True... But, telling someone where to load a trailer site unseen is bad advice.
It may seem that way, but you can't hardly load that trailer enough in the rear to make it un-safe...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts