Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I need help with the best way to remove the front rotors on an '05 Titan. I wanted to change my rotors and pads out since they started to squeaks and squeals pretty bad since I installed some new rims and tires out recently. I purchased the EBC Ultimax Slotted rotors and EBC green stuff pads since they got some really good reviews from across the country; however, I can't seem to get the rotors off of my darn truck.

There is not a screw or a bolt that I could see that would hold the rotors to the car, and I have beat and bang the crap out of the rotors to try to get it off and no luck.

Has anyone removed and installed new rotors/brakes themselves and could offer some insights or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/84176-installation-frozen-rotors-hawk-pads.html

You have to take out the two huge bolts on what Nissan calls the "torque member". They are soaked full length in thread locker from h3ll, so you need a breaker bar and maybe a pipe to slip on the end of that. I think heating might help loosen the thread lock, but I dunno if anybody every tried that.

If you have the caliper and torque member off, no there is nothing holding them, except maybe friction and some rust.

There is some sort of 2x4 trick discussed in the link below, not exactly sure how that works. Pretty sure a slide hammer would knock them off, also.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...g-off-stuck-rotors-without-damaging-them.html

·
Premium Member
15,680 Posts
i saw some guy wedged a 2x4 in there then started the truck and turned the wheels to push the rotors off. i dont think i would be brave enough to try it though. I just whacked mine with a big hammer and they came off. if your repacing them, no need in worring if you damage them.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dont be afraid to smack that rotor with a good sized ball peen hammer...That is of course if you got off all the proper items that holds them on. Basically, if the entire caliper assembly is off then they will come off. If you just have the piston assembly removed they will not come off. After the caliper is completely off, a good hard whack directly on the surface of the rotor will knock them loose. They are probably full of brake dust, rust and road debris which has form a natural weld. But easily broken with a good whack of a hammer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I am not worried about damaging them since I am replacing them with new slotted rotors, but still, I have beat and bang the crap of them without any give.

I guess I have to buy a bigger hammer!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
If you are buying a hammer, think about a slide hammer. You can also use that for pulling the axle shafts to replace leaking seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts