Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been having a lot of cab drone noise so today i finally decided to climb under and take a look. To my surprise i found a hole about the size of a kiwi right in the top of the muffler. In the process of getting the dealer to cover as I've had the truck less than two months and it only has 45k miles on it (seems significantly way to early). If they do not or make me pay the $100 deductible i was debating either getting an entire exhaust or just swapping out the muffler. Any pros and cons to these ideas? Or if it may be covered in nissans warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If you're going to have to pay anything (doubt it) I'd go with a full catback. Our exhausts are notorious for rusting at the joint right after the muffler, among other places, and that can cause a lot of issues. JBA catback is around $400 and full stainless.

Reactions: nightowl

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Honestly, mileage has nothing to do with it, age of truck, what type of winters (snow removal salt??) has a lot more to do with it. My sons Ford only has 47k miles on it has been in the shop twice in the past year for engine issues (over 3k in repairs), nothing covered under warranty, but its 11 years old.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck is a 2012 but i also live in western NY but it just seems early. Also i bought it at a ford dealer so i the warranty is purchased thru them. I am looking into seeing what coverage it also covers. Would there be any gains by just swapping out the muffler with a magna flow or a JBA (never heard of this company) muffler?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey all, I've been having a lot of cab drone noise so today i finally decided to climb under and take a look. To my surprise i found a hole about the size of a kiwi right in the top of the muffler. In the process of getting the dealer to cover as I've had the truck less than two months and it only has 45k miles on it (seems significantly way to early). If they do not or make me pay the $100 deductible i was debating either getting an entire exhaust or just swapping out the muffler. Any pros and cons to these ideas? Or if it may be covered in nissans warranty.
The new aftermarket stock muffler comes with the pipes that go up to the exaust flanges attached to the resonators. Minus the one elbow on the driver side. Doesn't include the tail pipe either. Don't forget gaskets for your flanges if you do it yourself. The two resonator flange gaskets are the same. It uses a different gasket between the tail pipe and the muffler. Putting the new exaust on is easy the hard part is getting the old one apart. Definitely need torches. Hopefully your warranty covers it.

I live in NY too and 4 years for an exaust around here isn't bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
^^^^^^ Listen to this guy! I was recently in a similar boat with my stock muffler rusting through on the top and Cajun took the time to explain everything to me and answer any questions. Shipped the JBA catback pretty quickly too and I couldn't be happier with the setup. Not to mention the chrome tip looks better and it sounds throatier than the stock system too.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
If you do get a new setup or just a new muffler. Maybe take some extra time and coat it a few times with ceramic spray or something Soliman to keep salt/rust from getting at it so fast

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
The JBA is a very easy swap out and an excellent system, love the sound of my JBA with Cajun catless b pipes

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wear hearing aids, so the system has to be quiet or the drone will split my head and every stainless system I've checked out had too much drone or just too much volume.......I went with a Walker el-cheapo cat back for $109.00 on line this summer and it's very quiet. How long will it last...who knows. But just like the OP, what I replaced had rotted away on the topside of the muffler and the tail pipe was getting ready to dislocate from the muffler. I did coat mine before installing and so far no signs of any rusting starting....but winter hasn't even started yet here in the Ohio snow belt.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
How was the fitment on ya'lls JBA system when you installed it?
Easy peasy, took about an hour to swap it out using an electric impact (along with installing the bpipes) The hardest part was swapping out the O2 sensors on the bpipes, had to unclip one and get it into the vice to get it out of the bpipe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heard back and the dealership wants about 390 installed to put a new muffler on. Not sure if that's just for a muffler swap out or cat back, guessing just muffler. Trying to see if the sales end of the dealership will cover the fix. The tech thinks i hit something and it hit the exhaust and put a hole in it. Only issue i have with his theory is that the hole is on the top end of the muffler and it blown outward instead of smashed in. Just can't figure out what would cause it to blow out like it did. At this rate it looks like ill be ordering a new cat back exhaust. Are there any performance benefits from replacing with a new exhaust?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
You live in the North East like myself so its not a surprise what happened to your exhaust. Mine failed with less miles. The Titan and many after market exhausts use T409 stainless steal. This metal will corrode with road salt. If you want something to last go with 304 stainless. I have a borla cat-back and it looks almost like it did 9 years ago when I installed it. Most of the under side of my truck has rusted except for the shinny new looking exhaust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts