Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is a write up/run down of the new Rough Country Exo Winch Mount. I’ve been searching and waiting for something that wasn’t a full big heavy front bumper and this seemed to fit the bill for me. Really wanting to gain the function of the winch as priority and have it looking decent being second or even third. Anyway I installed this myself and my truck is a 2019 Titan pro-4x. It came with factory tow hooks, skid plate and park assist which means four sensors in the front.

Biggest issue for me was the removal of the two tow hooks. With the skid plate down The tow hooks are mounted with two bolts, the tow hook is sandwiched between the bracket the partially supports the skid plat and the front frame that supports the bumper. Bolts that are in the rear, no problem. Forward bolts each side where i gigantic pain to remove...... I’m not a pro and I don’t own all the cool tools but I have enough to get most any job done. These bolts are super hard to reach to get any kind of torque to remove. Only way I could get them off I had to remove the plastic surround at the tow hooks each side which you ya r to anyway, but I also had to remove the plastic grille insert that’s in the bumper. I could then get a 17mm box wrench on the bolts after I removed the 6 bolts three each side that hold the bumper to the frame. Box wrench and a pipe extension to break them suckers free.
when you remove the two bolts for the tow hooks the skid plate bracket is now also free and drops down and out.
Directions are decent for the plastic surround at each tow hook. Cutting the plastic isn’t an issue.
Now we get to the installing of the frame extensions each side that the new Exo bumper will bolt to. Three new bolts that go into the three existing holes which hold the bumper. Hand tight for now. Then you have to put the pain in the butt bolt that’s under and behind. The bolt that was provided was to short and not the correct thread. So new bolt is out. The factory bolt is now two long because the tow hook was over and inch thick more like 1-1/2” maybe 2” I didn’t measure. So in order to keep moving I decided to cut a spacer out of some left over stew plate. Do factory bolt back in.
And remember the skid plate bracket mounts back up at the same time, rear bolt ties that all back together. Both sides down and now you can slide the Exo bumper on over the extensions. Two bolts in the top and one cross bolt inside which is a blind kinda reach in to get it started and tightened. I couldn’t get these started at first. I took the Exo bumper back off and examined the fasteners to make sure nothing was wrong. I found two rubber plugs which prevent paint from tainting the threads but left in they prevent the bolts from starting and threading to dbl check they are out before you get started.... save you from some curse words and back tracking. I put the Exo bumper back on and now all bolts are good to go. With every bolts started and things lined up I tightened it down.
I was happy with all the clearances and honestly once mounted i likes it more in person.
I already had a SmittyBilt X2o 12000 lb winch so I was hoping it would fit and it did with no issues at all. Wired up no problem.
you get a nice light setup with this Exo mount and they all installed and wired up no problem. I did have another bolt issue with the mounting of the 20” light bar arch that sits atop the Exo main body. Two bolts each side, easy to get to but the kit came with 4 bolts and 4 flanged nuts the threads didn’t match up, I opted to go to the hardware store and get new bolts that had matching threads, super annoying for sure, hopefully this gets corrected for future kits. The rest is Just taking your time to route all the wires properly.
Please note that the two middle parking sensors in the front are now blocked so they render the parking sensors worthless, you can turn them off inside but you have to do it every time you start the truck. I’m gonna look at maybe extending the connection and mounting the sensors in the front of the new Exo bumper, just need to drill two holes. We shall see...…. EDIT - Parking senor issue resolved, see next posts for pics. made a custom mount and extending the wires for the sensors, good to go now!
So the last bit is the mounting of the skid plate. You’ll run into another issue here. With the tow hooks gone the space they took up is now gone so the skid plate bracket now sits higher up into the frame and the factory bolts that you will reuse no longer reach and you also have a gap. I opted to flip the fasteners which clip into the bracket. This may not be a perfect fix but I think it works just fine. Now able to bolt up the skid plate and it clears the new Exo winch mount just fine. All put back together it’s a nice package. Stout enough for sure, easy access to the winch controls and the added lights is a big plus.
hope this write up helps anyone looking to tackle this job. If you don’t have tow hooks or a skid plate this install should be much easier. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. I’ve got some pictures to show check them out.

This picture shows the only way I could access the tow hook bolt that front side.

these are the frame extensions that mount with three bolts in the front and the one bolt under that’s a real pain.

large bolt is the factory bolt. The part that’s not threaded is where tow hook was, shows how thick the tow hook was. New bolt just wasn’t right.

this is the through bolt that mounts through the Exo bumper and the new frame extensions. Note the rubber plug. Take it out before you start your install!!!

plastic inserts cut out to fit new extensions

inserts cut and back in around extensions. Note the holes, these are where the middle two front parking sensors are located.

all installed!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
forgot to post these. This shows the skid plate bracket with the threaded fasteners. The clip onto the steel bracket. You can pull the clips and flip them. Last picture shows them flipped. This made the difference to allow me to reinstall the skid plate using all factory hardware

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parking Sensor issue fixed. Made a custom bracket that mounts to the light bar from Rough Country. Extended the factory harness parking sensor wires and we are back in business.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey...So I am looking at installing this same unit onto my 2018 titan this weekend, I saw your latest comment "Parking Sensor issue fixed. Made a custom bracket that mounts to the light bar from Rough Country. Extended the factory harness parking sensor wires and we are back in business." Can you explain more? Do you have any pictures of the custom bracket? how did you extend the factory harness parking sensor wires?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey...So I am looking at installing this same unit onto my 2018 titan this weekend, I saw your latest comment "Parking Sensor issue fixed. Made a custom bracket that mounts to the light bar from Rough Country. Extended the factory harness parking sensor wires and we are back in business." Can you explain more? Do you have any pictures of the custom bracket? how did you extend the factory harness parking sensor wires?
hey yeah so the parking sensors. youll have two that end up behind the winch bumper which is the problem. so i pulled each sensor out of the factory locations in the bumper, i reused the factory plastic clips which hold the sensors in place. youll notice its actually a two piece assembly. each sensor has a factory plastic plug or clip which allows you too get the sensors off the wired harness and and in your hands. i ended up cutting the sensor wires about 3" behind the harness plastic plug which gave me enough to work with to extend the sensor wires out to my new bracket. the senors only have two wires each. i soldered the new wire extensions to the factory wires. i also used heat shrink on each individual wire to keep them protected and ended up putting a larger heat shrink tube around both after to give added protection.
you do have to do a fair amount of work under the truck which i did laying on the ground. a tip to help is the sensor wire harness is wrapped in a factory plastic flexible sheath and its clipped in all along the back side of the bumper, if you pull all those clips youll be able to get more slack to work with under the truck, makes a big difference.
the custom bracket i made out of 1/8"X2" flat stock alum. i drilled two holes for the sensors. the factory sensor clips fit perfectly but i used some gasket glue to help hold them in. i bent the alum. on each end to hook into the backside of the exo winch bumper light bar. painted it black to match and that about covers it. i hope this makes sense. im happy to answer more questions if you need more help.

·
Registered
2020 Titan S
12 Posts
Awesome! I was literally look at this same bumper this morning, and I was worried about the sensors. This helps me greatly! I have some scrap angled steel running around.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was looking at this bumper and was wondering how I'd get the skid plate and sensors on it.

Thanks for answering all my questions and fantastic job!

Now I just have to figure out where to put the front plate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts