Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, to start off, whatever i'm experiencing is probably nothing. lately when the truck sits idling whether in the drive way, street, anywhere, i've noticed the truck idles rough, smooths out and idles rough again. when it's idling rough, it's not like the trucks going to blow up, just enough for it to be noticed. I noticed it more after I took out my Banks Monster exhaust. The RPM doesn't go down or anything. Any ideas what it might be if it is something? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
35,729 Posts
mudfinder said:
Hey guys, to start off, whatever i'm experiencing is probably nothing. lately when the truck sits idling whether in the drive way, street, anywhere, i've noticed the truck idles rough, smooths out and idles rough again. when it's idling rough, it's not like the trucks going to blow up, just enough for it to be noticed. I noticed it more after I took out my Banks Monster exhaust. The RPM doesn't go down or anything. Any ideas what it might be if it is something? Thanks in advance.
Check your MAF sensor and air tube/filter connections.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
also check your throttlebody, might be dirty and will cause your idle to be rough

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you guys mean by "check". What is it exactly i'm looking for.

·
Super Moderator
35,729 Posts
Is your MAF sensor clean? Buy some cleaner at AutoZone, Advanced, etc.

Are all your connections to air cleaner and throttle body tight?

Also did you check and make sure you don't have any trouble lights that might indicate an exhaust leak?

You minght also want to reset your ECU now that you switched back to stock exhaust.

Do a search for How To Reset ECU.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
ok, take off your intake tube secured to the throttlebody, look inside and see if its black with carbon build up. How many miles do you have on the truck?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you know what, i do have an exhaust leak. it's the part where the catback end meets the front part of any aftermarket/stock exhaust. and as far as codes, no light has lite up.

·
Super Moderator
35,729 Posts
mudfinder said:
you know what, i do have an exhaust leak. it's the part where the catback end meets the front part of any aftermarket/stock exhaust. and as far as codes, no light has lite up.
Get some new gaskets and put them on. It's only a matter of time before you get a code on the exhaust leak and may explain the erratic idle.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put brand new gaskets when i put the stock exhuast back on. i think i'm going to use two gaskets in the connections instead of one. would the exahust leak really cause that. I knew it had to be the exhuast leak because like i mentioned earlier i noticed it more after i switched out the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
35,729 Posts
mudfinder said:
I put brand new gaskets when i put the stock exhuast back on. i think i'm going to use two gaskets in the connections instead of one. would the exahust leak really cause that. I knew it had to be the exhuast leak because like i mentioned earlier i noticed it more after i switched out the exhaust.
It shouldn't be leaking if you put in new gaskets. You probably don't have the exhaust ends lined up good enough or tightened down correctly. You shouldn't have to use double gaskets, the OEM's are plenty thick enough.

Whether the exhaust leak caused your rough idle or not, you still have to fix it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey everyone this will be my first post on titan talk! There are so many helpful people here.All the answers to questions that your dealer won't tell you about. Anyway i have the same problem.When your sitting say at a light you can notice a thrumming coming through the steeringwheel. There is no indication from the gauges ,no jumping or flickering.Asked a mechanic about it and he says ,oh thats common thay all do that! Like ya right!
I did put a k&n filter in it back in the summer,just a replacement one ,no plumbing.I wasn't sure if i had to reset anything so i just let it be. i've read about having to do this, like disconnect the battery ,Right? The titan has 32ks on it now.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
I use B&G products that cleans the fuel system, fuel injectors works well. I havent used it this titan yet. A dirty throttlebody will cause a rough idle.

·
Super Moderator
35,729 Posts
North Country Titan said:
Hey everyone this will be my first post on titan talk! There are so many helpful people here.All the answers to questions that your dealer won't tell you about. Anyway i have the same problem.When your sitting say at a light you can notice a thrumming coming through the steeringwheel. There is no indication from the gauges ,no jumping or flickering.Asked a mechanic about it and he says ,oh thats common thay all do that! Like ya right!
I did put a k&n filter in it back in the summer,just a replacement one ,no plumbing.I wasn't sure if i had to reset anything so i just let it be. i've read about having to do this, like disconnect the battery ,Right? The titan has 32ks on it now.
Resetting the ECU only speeds up what will happen on its own eventually.

Many helpful hints here plus how to reset ECU: Thanks to ADavis:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/47863-best-titantalk.html?highlight=resetting+ecu

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
whats the stock idle for the truck?? Mine feels rough sometimes it starts to vibrate the wheel and flooboard (at least noticeably more) and the truck dips just a bit below 500-600 if i remember right

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ecmeyla said:
ok, take off your intake tube secured to the throttlebody, look inside and see if its black with carbon build up. How many miles do you have on the truck?

I will check that. I have 47,000 miles on the truck.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
spoonman said:
whats the stock idle for the truck?? Mine feels rough sometimes it starts to vibrate the wheel and flooboard (at least noticeably more) and the truck dips just a bit below 500-600 if i remember right
Ideal idle in neutral is 650 and 550 in drive.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
spoonman said:
650 RPM is what I've seen on most. If it is still cold, it will be a little higher of course. But it drops to 725 rather quickly, then down to 650 once warmed up good. This is in Park.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need some help. Recently I had my cats cut off and had duals ran. I have been experiencing some lost of power at times. I changed out my MAF sensor thinking it would help but it is still doing it. Does anyone know what I can do if anything.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll try my luck here. I recently had a serpentine belt, radiator hoses, and trans cooler hoses to the radiator put on. When I got it back the idle was/is high. Running about 800 to 900 rpms sitting in drive.

I can get to about 15 mph just idling. It now walks itself up slight hills that before it would barely hold itself or drift back some. Down-shifting is rough as well, almost like a lunging on downshifts.

I went back to the shop today and they hooked up the computer. No codes and they did the idle re-learn twice. Computer showed 800 rpms. They checked the vacuum hose lines and cleaned the throttle body. I watched them do it so I knew it was all done.

It's still idling high like it was but on my way home at the first red light the idle was high then out of nowhere dropped to just above 500, where I feel is normal for my truck. As soon as I started driving again it went back to the high idle. A couple red lights later it dropped but then shot back up once I started driving.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts