Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed what their RPMS in top gear at 60 mph is?If I understand it right,the Big Tow is geared lower,so it should be turning about 200 RPMS more than those not equiped with Big Tow.Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
795 Posts
PHOEBISIS said:
Has anyone noticed what their RPMS in top gear at 60 mph is?If I understand it right,the Big Tow is geared lower,so it should be turning about 200 RPMS more than those not equiped with Big Tow.Thanks,Charlie
I think mine no big tow is 1600 at 60. juma

·
Registered
647 Posts
Big Tow package here. 60 mph = 1750 rpm...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks-about 150 rpms-Big Tow should be quicker

Thanks guys.The Big Tow pk should accelerate a bit harder.I bet the trucks that Nissan gives to the Magazines for testing all have the Big Tow PK-probably good for .1-.2 seconds in 0-60.Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems about right~1500-1700 3.37/2.94~220 rpms more

Thanks Juma mtbendo!Those numbers seem about right.I think the standard rear end is a 2.94 and the Big toe is 3.37 or so.If those numbers are right,what you guys report seems dead on.There should be about 14% more RPMS(roughly 220 rpms) at 60mph.Within the limits of reading an analog tach,1500,and 1750 seem right.It is interesting that there is no EPA mileage difference between to two.Gues the tiny bit of increased friction at 1750 just isn't significant on the Titan.Say,does Nissan make some claim of using a friction reducing coating on the pistons?Maybe that was some motorcycle I read about-good idea though-must add to the cost however..Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
112 Posts
No big tow and dead up 1500 @ 60 mph

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Piston coating

PHOEBISIS said:
Say,does Nissan make some claim of using a friction reducing coating on the pistons?Maybe that was some motorcycle I read about-good idea though-must add to the cost however..Thanks,Charlie
Pistons are Moly-coated...."friction reducer"

·
Registered
305 Posts
What about big tow, off road (32.7" tires) vs big tow (31.6" tires)...any noticeable difference? Do they put a different speedo gear in with the off road package?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
GoFast33 said:
What about big tow, off road (32.7" tires) vs big tow (31.6" tires)...any noticeable difference? Do they put a different speedo gear in with the off road package?

GoFast, I haven't checked my speedometer for accuracy (Big Tow, 4x4 Off road), but in the newer vehicles, the speedometer is calibrated through the computer...no need to change any gears. They have a transducer on the transmission or driveline, that sends a signal to the computer, and it uses that input to drive your speedo...I imagine that Nissan does it the same way.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You're probably right! My mind is still very old-school (cables and gears)! I'll be picking up my SE 4x4 CC, OR, BT this Thursday...can't wait!!!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
GoFast33 said:
You're probably right! My mind is still very old-school (cables and gears)! I'll be picking up my SE 4x4 CC, OR, BT this Thursday...can't wait!!!
I am just glad the the cables and gears in my head still work. They could use an overhaul after all of these miles. As for your new truck...you will find it difficult to stay off of the gas pedal. I have only had mine for 6 days, and I am thrilled with the power. I am tall ( 6' 4" ), and the only complaint that I have, is the A pillars blocking my view. It takes a little getting used to. Be sure to look the truck over carefully before you take delivery. There is a list on here of things to check. Do a search on "checklist" and I think that you will find it.
One other thing. The BT mirrors are pretty wide, and if you slide them out for towing, they will not fit in my garage 9' wide doors. Read the manual thoroughly when you have a chance. There are lots of bells and whistles that you will learn about.
Otherwise, just enjoy...and watch out for those crazy drivers that are always trying to hit new cars...I had one try to do that on my way home from the dealer...Congrats... :cheers:
Dave

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks Dave, I already found the checklist...thanks to whoever put that list together! I had a heck of a time finding the truck with all the options I was looking for, I'm going to end up with one with some stuff I didn't really want (DVD, sliding tray, sliding divider)...may end up trying to sell the bed accesories either here at TitanTalk or ebay. I'm also thinking of swapping out the Rugged Trail tires for BFG All Terrains - if the tire shop won't give a me fair trade, I may end up trying to sell the stock tires, too. Thanks, again!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have offroad without big tow but the gear ration is the same in both.
Enjoy the new ride. Congrats!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
2.94 to 3.37 is enought jump to change MPG on the highway, esp on long road trips. Unless there is different Transmission gears for the Big Tow package in the final ratio
and this is true about there not being a posted differance between between the two , i think there could be some buy backs in the future....

here is a kwel site if any one wants to atempt the math: http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/index.php

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
KHShapiro said:
Unless there is different Transmission gears for the Big Tow package in the final ratio...
This would have been a very nice thing for Nissan to do, but then the tranny would have had to have 2 versions- one for lower rear gear and one for regular rear gear and that just complicates production at a time when they need to keep it simple for 1st model year.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
GoFast33

GoFast33 Read your Personal Messages and get back to me please.
Thanks,
Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts