Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can run a 375 watt inverter off the cigarette lighter plug in the bed of my truck. However, I want to run something bigger, like a 750 watt or at most a 1000 watt. I have been told that these have to hook directly to the battery vs. going through a cigarette lighter plug because I'll blow a fuse.

My question is, is the cigarette lighter in the bed on its own circuit? If so, can I just swap the fuse for a bigger one? How big do I have to go?

I don't want to do anything stupid - is this safe?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For what it is worth, I want to run a 3.3 amp tire inflator and a 250 watt halogen work light. I DO NOT want to run them at the same time, I would run them separately. Right now if I hook either one up, the inverter kicks off (light goes from green to red) and neither device works.

So my first thought was "need bigger inverter"...but...

It occurred to me that my 375 watt inverter should work for both of these devices if I wire directly to the battery. I don't think I can pull enough through the cigarette lighter connection?

Having to hook to the batter kinda defeats the convenience of having the plug in the back of the bed.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bucky I'm electrically challenged - how exactly would/could I do that...

Also, FWIW, I found this:

The small inverters (400 watts and under) come with a cigarette lighter adapter, and may be plugged into your car's lighter socket (although you will not be able to draw more than 150 to 180 watts from the cigarette lighter socket). The small units also come with cables that can be clamped directly to a battery. If you want an inverter that will plug into your cigarette lighter, you must choose one that is 400 watts or less.

·
Registered
830 Posts
NEVER replace a fuse with a larger fuse!!!

You may need to run new wires of heavier gauge and use a better connection point than a cigarette lighter housing. There may be other considerations aswell such as alternator and battery.

This needs to be done carefully to make sure the current draw does not exceed the wire specs.

If your suggestion was to use a "larger fuse" you are not up to the challenge, get some knowledgable help.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
ruauman2 said:
NEVER replace a fuse with a larger fuse!!

I AGREE, if you don't want burnt wires in your truck and possibly a fire in your truck don't put a bigger fuse.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Titanic9 said:
Bucky I'm electrically challenged - how exactly would/could I do that...

Also, FWIW, I found this:

The small inverters (400 watts and under) come with a cigarette lighter adapter, and may be plugged into your car's lighter socket (although you will not be able to draw more than 150 to 180 watts from the cigarette lighter socket). The small units also come with cables that can be clamped directly to a battery. If you want an inverter that will plug into your cigarette lighter, you must choose one that is 400 watts or less.

I don't know what Gauge the wire is but if you got a plug at walmart you could just the Center aux and the neg-gnd. Also agreed that you shouldn't get a bigger fuse.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You will need bigger wire as a minimum. A new fuse is a bad idea, see other replies.
The trailer harness is not a bad idea, you could make a custom plug to convert that to a lighter socket, but what you really need to do is run bigger wire and a dedicated circuit and skip the lighter socket.
:bangit:

Oh, and try the search tool...
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-parts-accessories/62311-how-do-ac-power-rear-bed.html
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/62738-truck-bed-plug.html

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Trailer plug will not power a 1,000 watt Invertor. It is about 20 Amps (??), so 240 watts output.Go for a nice dedicated circuit, fused near the power source. Electrical fires can be expensive. Get Hands On help.

·
Registered
830 Posts
grnTitan04 said:
You will need bigger wire as a minimum. A new fuse is a bad idea, see other replies.
The trailer harness is not a bad idea, you could make a custom plug to convert that to a lighter socket, but what you really need to do is run bigger wire and a dedicated circuit and skip the lighter socket.
:bangit:

Just a note: A lighter plug may be able to handle the current but if you do not know the max current that the lighter plug can handle, stay away from using one.

Don't skimp on this type of mod, no need to "toast" a perfectly good truck.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Google 'ampacity table' to see what you are talking for wire.
To get 1200W you need 100A @ 12V which is a 4ga wire according to the chart.

4ga wire is .20 inches in diameter (about 13/64).

Fellas, this just ain't gonna work.
:werd:

·
Registered
830 Posts
grnTitan04 said:
Google 'ampacity table' to see what you are talking for wire.
To get 1200W you need 100A @ 12V which is a 4ga wire according to the chart.

4ga wire is .20 inches in diameter (about 13/64).

Fellas, this just ain't gonna work.
:werd:

Good info.

Go buy a portable generator!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Understood, I shoulda done some homework before asking the question. Anyway, the solution is to run a conventional 60 watt worklight off the back instead of the halogen one. Last night I hooked the tire inflator directly to the battery with the supplied alligator clips and it ran just fine, even with using an extension cord to get to the rear tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts