Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I have been meaning to ask this question for quite sometime. Do you think it would be a bad idea running the new RCX blocks without the outer u bolts? I am talking about the ones that clamp the end of the block to the leaf spring for the anti axle wrap feature these claim to have. Basically just running them like a normal block. The reason I am even considering this is due to actually losing height because of them. The outer u bolts are causing it because they are actually flattening the arch in the leaf spring. IIRC I lost a half inch in height and am a little concerned this could cause damage to my 5125's since they are the 4"-6" version. With this loss in height I am actually only sitting a 3.5" of lift in the rear.

Edit: Added picture for reference. The red arrows point to the ones I am talking about removing and the green represents the u bolts over the axle that will remain.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have those and know what you mean. I was looking under there the other day when someone posted up their regular 4" block that just used 2 ubolts. The rcx 4 ubolt one certainly flattens out the leaf, losing some height like you said, its also a stiff ride but I kind of like that. I was thinking on getting a regular 4" block and putting on rcx traction bars with prg heims I have sitting in the garage. If it works well without the outter bolts that would be better. Look forward to seeing what you do.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really didn't notice how much it flattened the spring until I was under there for a few hours doing my body lift. I have been planning on ordering a set of traction bars too, but can't seem to find time to get into town and order them. I really can't think of any difference between removing the outer u bolts and running a regular block. I'm sure the anti axle wrap feature will be reduced, but the longer block will still press against the overload spring more than a regular block. I plan on going deavers and a much smaller block this spring, but was thinking of doing this in the mean time.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
probably should be fine. you might get a sound when the leaf spring contacts that block since the bolt won't be there to hold it tight against the block. but its not like the block is gonna be coming off the axle anytime cause its still bolted in like OEM. BUT, who knows...you could lose your entire rear axle lolls

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha. That would be a rough day. I think I will remove them after work and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm happy to report I gained some height back. I took measurements prior to removal of the outer u bolts going from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender. I measured 9 3/4 on the drivers side and 10 1/4 on the passenger side. After removing the outer u bolts I measured 10 5/8 on the drivers side and 11 on the passenger side. I will report back tomorrow about ride quality.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well so far i haven't heard any noises coming from the rear. Use to have a clunking noise but is now gone. As for ride quality, it is definetely softer. I really don't feel much of a difference in axle wrap either. Maybe a slight bit is present, but i also take it easy from a stop

·
Registered
232 Posts
Interesting, I may not install the bolts myself then. Do you think it did any permanent damage to your leafs? Don't want to flatten them out like you said they do. I've got the traction bars so there shouldn't be any axle wrap to worry about

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Interesting, I may not install the bolts myself then. Do you think it did any permanent damage to your leafs? Don't want to flatten them out like you said they do. I've got the traction bars so there shouldn't be any axle wrap to worry about
No, I don't think they did anything to damage the leafs. When I released them with my impact the springs popped back up. I was honestly surprised I gained around 3/4" in height. Didn't realize they flattened the spring that much. Not sure if over a long period of time they would do anything, but I'm pretty confident they had no permanent affect on mine. Here are a couple before and after pics, you can tell if you compare front and rear fender gaps:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well that's cool news ! The block is beefy and I would have hated to down grade to just a stilt one. 3/4 inch would be nice to make it pretty even (no sag azz) until like you I hope to deaver it when I get a better garage. Thanks for posting all this I'm following your ideas on all your threads and can't wait to do this stuff. Cheers

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well that's cool news ! The block is beefy and I would have hated to down grade to just a stilt one. 3/4 inch would be nice to make it pretty even (no sag azz) until like you I hope to deaver it when I get a better garage. Thanks for posting all this I'm following your ideas on all your threads and can't wait to do this stuff. Cheers
Hey it's no problem. Glad to help out. When thinking about your rig keep in mind my 5100's are causing my uneven stance. If I ran them on the bottom perch I'm guessing I would be very close if not dead even. I'll try and get you measurements from ground to fender when I get a somewhat even parking spot. My wheels make it very difficult, but I'll try. Not sure of your exact set up but figured I would mention that. I'm already thinking of my next mods. Haha. I'll probably hold off until spring though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts