Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 King Cab SE 4x4, lived outside its entire life, I've had it since new. 60,000 miles (yeah, I know that's low mileage).

I noticed some bubbling paint peeking out from the rubber door strip at the bottom of the driver's side door. Pulled the door strip off for a closer look. Rust! I used a wire wheel on my drill to clean it up and have a better look. I was certainly disappointed in what I found! (see picture). Looks like the rust got a foothold in the area under the seal, where it gradually ate away from the point of origin near the folded lip of the two door panels.

Despite keeping the truck clean in the winter, especially after being on snowy, salted roads, I have this. Even more mysterious: the other doors on the Titan have no rust at all. The mouse hole door drains were / are clear. Inside the door itself, there appears to be no rust on the outer panel of the door. Even the side storage box, which I've read dozens of complaints about rust, is still intact and relatively rust-free.

The rust ends well before the next drain hole to the right (out of the picture). As far as the rest of the truck goes, the body is in great shape for its age. No rust in the roof gutters (another common complaint). There is some clear coat chalking on the roof and a small area of the hood. From a distance, it does not look 17 years old. The whole-truck picture was taken just last year in Utah. You can see the paint fade at 2 places above the windshield.

Obviously, I have to do something. Looking for the collective wisdom of fellow Titan owners. I can do body work, especially in an area like this where cosmetics are not so much an issue. I thought of sealing it from the inside, but was warned by more experienced people who tell me that I should have it cut out and have a rectangular panel welded in and replacing it (that kind of work is outside of my capability).
2021-06-12 16.20.54.jpg
Nissan Titan in Utah.jpg

I was (am?) looking forward to keeping this truck for many more years, it's been very dependable and, aside from the exhaust manifolds being original, almost every Titan issue from the early years has been addressed. Heck, I'm only on the 2nd set of tires and 2nd battery since new!

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
265 Posts
Would it be easier to just replace the door? I’m sure you could find a door at a junkyard…

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it be easier to just replace the door? I’m sure you could find a door at a junkyard…
I thought about that. I'll consider it - but most early year Titans have far more wear and tear on them than mine does, and I'd have to ensure the color is the same, etc. And, of course, I'd be checking any replacement door for rust! If a replacement door becomes an option, then I'll probably just seal mine from the inside so that I can take my time.

·
Premium Member
72,544 Posts
Every Titan owner needs to check the bottom door seal for debris often. The holes get stopped up and hold water very easy. I've heard water in my door, messed with that seal, and a gallon of water and crap flowed out. It pays to clean under the seal when you wash your truck.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,369 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I have seen a lot of issues with 2nd gen Titans having bad seal issues. I guess Nissan brought a few things over from the 1st gen to the 2nd gen. As someone already pointed out, I'd just look for another door, but I'd also make sure to find out why the water is obviously stagnating there.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,299 Posts
Every vehicle owner needs to make this check. My 65 mustang rusted the same way, my 71 karmann Ghia, my 89 mustang, my Isuzu trooper, all vehicles rust in that spot.

And you have a beach pic so it's even worse. All the salt air leaves a residue on the window and when you wqsh your vehicle, that salt runs into the door to hopefully go out the drain holes. It doesnt run out though. Some of it stays and sits and causes that rust.

On all vehicles

·
Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
582 Posts
Every Titan owner needs to check the bottom door seal for debris often. The holes get stopped up and hold water very easy. I've heard water in my door, messed with that seal, and a gallon of water and crap flowed out. It pays to clean under the seal when you wash your truck.
I just had this experience a few weeks ago after some heavy rains. Checking and unblocking the drain holes is now a regular part of my maintenance routine.

·
Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
582 Posts
OP, I'd look for a door with good bones and just repaint it to match. Anything you do to the original door would require repainting, too. It would be a lot of work to rehab a door that's rusted out that much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2004 King Cab SE 4x4, lived outside its entire life, I've had it since new. 60,000 miles (yeah, I know that's low mileage).

I noticed some bubbling paint peeking out from the rubber door strip at the bottom of the driver's side door. Pulled the door strip off for a closer look. Rust! I used a wire wheel on my drill to clean it up and have a better look. I was certainly disappointed in what I found! (see picture). Looks like the rust got a foothold in the area under the seal, where it gradually ate away from the point of origin near the folded lip of the two door panels.

Despite keeping the truck clean in the winter, especially after being on snowy, salted roads, I have this. Even more mysterious: the other doors on the Titan have no rust at all. The mouse hole door drains were / are clear. Inside the door itself, there appears to be no rust on the outer panel of the door. Even the side storage box, which I've read dozens of complaints about rust, is still intact and relatively rust-free.

The rust ends well before the next drain hole to the right (out of the picture). As far as the rest of the truck goes, the body is in great shape for its age. No rust in the roof gutters (another common complaint). There is some clear coat chalking on the roof and a small area of the hood. From a distance, it does not look 17 years old. The whole-truck picture was taken just last year in Utah. You can see the paint fade at 2 places above the windshield.

Obviously, I have to do something. Looking for the collective wisdom of fellow Titan owners. I can do body work, especially in an area like this where cosmetics are not so much an issue. I thought of sealing it from the inside, but was warned by more experienced people who tell me that I should have it cut out and have a rectangular panel welded in and replacing it (that kind of work is outside of my capability). View attachment 552143 View attachment 552144

I was (am?) looking forward to keeping this truck for many more years, it's been very dependable and, aside from the exhaust manifolds being original, almost every Titan issue from the early years has been addressed. Heck, I'm only on the 2nd set of tires and 2nd battery since new!

View attachment 552143 View attachment 552144
You need some NHOU Undercoating oil get a application done and buy touch up spray can of undercoating to keep touching it up will help
Next new vehicle you get make sure to undercoat people don’t think until it’s too late , check out NHOU

·
Registered
10 Posts

Obviously, I have to do something. Looking for the collective wisdom of fellow Titan owners. I can do body work, especially in an area like this where cosmetics are not so much an issue. I thought of sealing it from the inside, but was warned by more experienced people who tell me that I should have it cut out and have a rectangular panel welded in and replacing it (that kind of work is outside of my capability). View attachment 552143 View attachment 552144

View attachment 552143 View attachment 552144
Try some undercoating it will neutralize it and stop any further rust from starting a good brand to get is NHOU protective coatings. The New Hampshire oil under coating is superior I have it on my 19 Titan since new no rust they make a clear and black version

1 - 12 of 12 Posts