Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2010 T and have noticed there are rust streaks on the rear bumper already coming from the license plate lamps. Anyone in snow/rock salt country having this problem?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Can you get a pic of that?.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
i thought nissan had a no exception rust warranty. take it to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've heard clay removes surface rust but have never tried myself. Not sure if it works on chrome as well. Keep us updated either any way you go.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have rust spots on my front bumper, right where the grill meets. As far as I know, my truck has never been in or through the "salt country". I'll try to take pictures when I get home, but I guess I'll call the dealer and see what they say as far as a rust warranty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just noticed it on mine in the same place.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Took awhile but I finally took a picture. The rust spots go all the way down the top of my front bumper, but are no where else on the bumper or grille.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes it's common I live in a snow/salt area and I get that on the front and rear on my 2009 I use aluminum shine and it gets rid of it , it's pretty common on most chrome I see it on different brands of trucks here too

·
Registered
54 Posts
I borrowed some stuff from my dad a while back, called Brasso. It works wonders on the front and rear chrome, and stainless step-tubes.

Otherwise, I've been told that a good wash and a hearty wax are the next best things you can do.

I agree completely. That rock salt stuff is just plain nasty on paint and chrome!
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was just iffy on using chrome polish or anything else on my bumper because I didn't want to leave scratches or marks all over my bumper.

I wish some other guys from the south would chime in to see if they have the same problem as well. Everyone has been from the north, except beason but I don't know if he has rust spots. Could this just be from aging?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
doubtfull is aging, this is the first winter for my truck (2010). Combination of cheaper metals and caustic de-icers I would assume. Like I said earlier ,what bothers me is that I wash my truck weekly and have rust spots that quickly? And the truck is only exposed to a commute of four miles daily. Scary in my book.:crying:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bender,

Don't get too upset man. I am in salt-country as well. The last two winters have been really rough on us here in WV. In my area last year we had 29 feet of total accumulation throughout the winter, this year so far (last I heard) was 18 feet. It hasn't been fun.

Having said that, I am on my second Titan and what you are seeing is fairly common and will come-off fairly easily with a good hand-washing. If not, Nissan is very good about their rust warranty and will take care of it for you. If it makes you feel any better I have a buddy that has an 09 F250 Super-Duty King Ranch and another that has a 2009 Toyota Tundra RockWarrior Edition... in the very early spring our trucks all look about the same. Little rust streaks and spots.

A bit of Jack & Coke (for you), Meguiars Gold (for the Titan), and a few hours of TLC and it'll look good as new. If not, take it to your local Nissan shop and they will address it for you (mine here is fantastic to work with -- coolest dealership I have ever dealt with).

-S

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just as an update..... Nissan is fully replacing my bumper and undercoating the backside to help prevent future rusting issues.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thats great. I have a painted back bumper and notice a little rust around one of the back up sensors. It's not through the paint yet but I know rust just doesnt stop. I will try to take it to a dealer and see if they will cover it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 07 LE that I bought new in 08 and it's covered in rust under it and both bumpers are fully rusted out on the inside,and I don't used my truck in the winter at all,And it's only got 30,000 miles on it. worst of all my wife's armada 07 with 60,000 miles and used all year round does not have one spot of rust,Kinda mess up.I took it too the dealer and all the said was it common and wouldn't do any thing about it.I'm thinking of putting some kind of coating on it,any suggestion ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I live in MD and my in laws live in Canada and I don't have rust, but I am pretty careful about spraying the truck off when i stop. I did put a couple of coats of wax on the bumpers before the winter though. I found carnuba wax from Griots Garage to be a pretty good wax.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
POR Paint Over Rust... works like magic

Reactions: Hatchet

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
sand it then BEDLINE it!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts