Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've read the manual and I've read various posts, but I need a warm fuzzy for when I'm towing.

I just can't bring myself to drop the gear into 4th or 3rd when I'm at 60mph. I did it to my dad's El Camino a long long time ago and the transmission downshifted so badly it scared me. And I was at slow speed. And for the record, I never told him about it.

Is it really safe on the transmission to do this? Assume I'm driving in 2WD when I downshift.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
At 60, you can go to 3rd or 4th with no problems. 3rd will bring some revs with it, but its not doing any damage. Think of when you are driving 60 and you floor it. The tranny goes through the same exercise...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I do it while towing....no problem.

It won't shift bad at all either.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
True...not a problem especially when traveling up hill while towing. I do it all of the time dropping it into 3rd from 4th.

·
Registered
293 Posts
BLBJBranch said:
Hi all,
I've read the manual and I've read various posts, but I need a warm fuzzy for when I'm towing.

I just can't bring myself to drop the gear into 4th or 3rd when I'm at 60mph. I did it to my dad's El Camino a long long time ago and the transmission downshifted so badly it scared me. And I was at slow speed. And for the record, I never told him about it.

Is it really safe on the transmission to do this? Assume I'm driving in 2WD when I downshift.

Thanks.
You won't hurt anything droping from 4 to 3rd at 60 I do it all the time towing.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Just don't go into reverse...

·
Registered
271 Posts
The tranny is electronically controlled and it won't drop into any gear that'll give it too much trouble. You can drop to 2nd at 60 and it won't go down past 3rd until some speed is scraped off. I've had to do this once or twice in emergency stopping situations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts