Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help Me!!!
I just purchased a Titan SE 2008 and was made to believe that the 6 CD Changer radio that came from the factory installed in my truck (with a satellite button on the radio) would be able to work with XM or Sirrius. I now am hearing that unless the truck came with a certain kind of radio from the factory that I can't get satellite to play through the head in my truck...the one that HAS A SAT BUTTON on the radio. Nissan Corp. is telling me that I can't even exchange the radio in it for the correct radio...it has to come FROM THE FACTORY! These are the choices they gave me to correct their problem. Trade my four day old truck in on another and give them another $6000.00, Buy an aftermarket radio with a separate 6 CD changer and have someone graft it into the dash, or buy a separate tuner that I can beautifully Velcro to the dash complete with available exterior wiring!
Not to sound like a whinner, but I just paid $30,000.00 for this truck and don't want to "trash the dash" so to speak. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
If you want to spend the $ for the sat it just installs under your steering collum and you need to install the ant too. I have a sirrius starmate and plugged it into the aux and works fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Or you can get a sirius stilleto and it can be mounted to your dash and hardwired into the aux plug. That's what I did. I miss it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I did the same as i386 with great results. i installed it myself and it was not too hard. the sat part works great and functions through the steering wheel controls. your dealer does not have a clue - it is simply a receiver module that fits into a bracket near the steering column and plugs into a wiring harness that is already under the dash. If you have a factory sat button or a 6-disc cd unit (RF or non RF) then your radio and truck are ready for the receiver.

there is a thread about adding a sirius module on an 08 (from the factory you only get XM now but the 07 modules work). search for it as it has a great deal of info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Radio did not come from the factory prewired for xm. It does not have the Bose/rockford/fosgate radio in it and it doesn't have the steering wheel controls either. That particular package came with the power seats, xm radio, audio controls on the steering wheel, etc. The dealership pulled the radio yesterday and told me that there is nothing on the back of the radio that will let me run xm through the radio and control it with my factory head. The factory told me that they changed stuff from 2007 to 2008 one of which is...XM is not an accessory upgrade anymore...you have to buy it from them

·
Registered
196 Posts
Maybe they totally changed things on the 08, but i find it odd that the radio has a Sat button on it but can't be fitted with a receiver module. just for grins, look under the driver's side dash just above where the knee bolster joins the console. If it is prewired for sat there will be a wire with a connector (can't remember if it is male or female) that is not plugged into anything. It will be folded over on itself a few times and secured with a plastic cable tie. This is the wire that connects the receiver module to the radio wiring and this connection at the radio is part of the main wiring plug going into the radio. In other words, there is not a seperate connection at the radio so the dealer would not see a dedicated port for a sat radio. They may be right but it is worth a look. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
If you have the sat button on your radio, its set up for sat. All you need to do is buy the reciever that goes under your drivers side dash like Dorsey stated. Some dealers are stupid. I do have the Titan service manual on cd and if you need a copy pm me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Guys,
Just got XM installed in my truck and it actually works through my factory radio head. All I did was purchase the kit for a 2007 Titan and it plugged in like itwas made for it! Guess the dealership is the one who looks un-informed on this particular issue. The 2008 Titan SE comes standard with factory pre-wiring for satellite. Thanks for the info everyone. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures with this 'puter contraption........on second thought, maybe I'll leave that for another thread!

·
Registered
196 Posts
glad it worked out. your dealer is in the running for the stupidest dealer in the world. they actually pulled the radio to see if it had a sat port on the back but never bothered to learn that it was already pre-wired. i could see the sales person not knowing but you would think the service department would know. end of rant.

·
Registered
46 Posts
my 08 doesnt have a SAT button on the radio, does that mean I am not pre-wired for Satellite? I know I can use the AUX port, but was hoping to get the 07 Kit and use it like the above posters.

Did I need the Rockford Fostgate radio to have the SAT button?

·
Registered
46 Posts
How do you run the antenna for this setup?

Also...
I found this in another thread to answer my previous post:

All 6 disc head unit is Sat. ready. If you don't have the SAT button you will use the RADIO button to scroll through till you see SAT like eakes stated above. You will need a SAT tuner hook up or you will not see SAT when scrolling through.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There are two jacks on the OEM sat receiver module (this is for the latest module being sold - there is an earlier one that used an antenna splitter). One of the jacks is for the wire that is under the dash just above where the knee pad meets the console. The other is for the antenna. You can use any XM or Sirius capable antenna you want but they basically are in two categories - inside the glass or outside the glass. Inside the glass includes the SIGMA sirius (and an XM clone which is no longer available) which mounts on the windshield. The outside type usually are held to the roof by magnets. If you use the inside type you simply run the antenna wire under the dash, under the windshiled pillar trim and along the front of the headliner. If you use the outside type most people take the cable out through the 3rd brakelight opening. Search this forum and you will see various methods for using the 3rd brakelight opening.

·
Registered
46 Posts
when you hook up the factory sirius kit, does information (Song, Title, Channel, etc) get displayed in the factory display window on the radio?

Or does it just display Channel number? (or something else?)

·
Registered
196 Posts
the default displays the channel number and sirius station title. You can set it to display a parital of the song title. that is one of the knocks on the factory system for some people. I just set mine to the default (channel number and station title) - all i listen to are 50s, 60 and 70s songs and i already know the title when i hear them. Unfortunatley, i was there when they were new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ecmeyla said:
If you want to spend the $ for the sat it just installs under your steering collum and you need to install the ant too. I have a sirrius starmate and plugged it into the aux and works fine.

did you have drill any hole to run your wires?

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
depends on if you want XM or Sirius. I have the Sirius Starmate in my truck using a Monster cable in the AUX.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts