Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you will the SAWs, how often are you having to rebuild? I've had mine for a little over two years now and they need rebuilt....for a second time. Seems like they're only lasting about one year in between rebuilds and this is getting old. Now that I've got 35's, I can't put the stock coilovers back on and have them shipped off to be rebuilt, like I did last time. Paying this much for coilovers to only last one year between fixes is b.s... :mad:

Now, I don't blame PRG at all because Greg helped me more times than I can count on my fingers and toes with different situations. But, it's just frustrating as hell that this keeps happening this often. If I had known this going to buy them, I probably would have looked at something else. Seems like a QC issue with Sway-A-Way....

P.S. I've got the seal rebuild kit sitting in the truck, but I've now got to find time to take them back off, take them to be rebuilt and put them back on. All while the Titan is my daily driver....

Sorry, had to vent a little....

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Really? I'm about to pull the trigger on the extended travel kit on PRG with the SAWs. Maybe some others will chime in because now I'm curious.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I had mine on for 2 years and never had to have them rebuilt. I'm running Radflos now with my MT kit and I have one that if leaking after right about 2 years.

Who are you having rebuild them Juday?

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Are yours leaking or something??... I installed mine Sept '09 and they're still as good as the day I installed them. I'd be really upset if mine were needing rebuilt every year too.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are yours leaking or something??... I installed mine Sept '09 and they're still as good as the day I installed them. I'd be really upset if mine were needing rebuilt every year too.
Oh yeah, I'm sure I've lost a good amount of oil from my passenger side coilover. It's always soaked and coated with oil.... :(

·
Vendor
711 Posts
My SAWs have about 50K miles on them and still don't need a rebuild yet. It might be worth sending them back to Greg so you can ensure they are done right and nothing else is wrong.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm sure I've lost a good amount of oil from my passenger side coilover. It's always soaked and coated with oil.... :(
If you're able to tell which ne is which, I'd swap them sides to see if it's the shock itself or something with that side of the suspension or driving conditions that might be causing it..

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
175 just for the labor? That's WAY too much man. Radflo charges 60 per shock and thats seal kits, oil, and labor.
It might be, but I don't really have any other options. Like I said, the Titan is my DD and I can't be without it for a week, or two, while I pay to ship them off and wait until they get back.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
It might be, but I don't really have any other options. Like I said, the Titan is my DD and I can't be without it for a week, or two, while I pay to ship them off and wait until they get back.
Well If they aren't installing it right then it could be causing the seals to go out prematurely. You would be better off not having you truck for a week than not having you truck for 3 days once a year. lol

I' also wondering if it the weather/climate you live in. I'm sure that your winters are hard on seals.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well If they aren't installing it right then it could be causing the seals to go out prematurely. You would be better off not having you truck for a week than not having you truck for 3 days once a year. lol

I' also wondering if it the weather/climate you live in. I'm sure that your winters are hard on seals.
They build suspensions for dirt track racing and all types of motorsports, so I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

As far as weather, I'm sure that's playing a large part. The first time I sent my shocks to be rebuilt back to Greg, he told me "These are the absolute worst looking shocks I've ever seen." :lol:

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
They build suspensions for dirt track racing and all types of motorsports, so I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

As far as weather, I'm sure that's playing a large part. The first time I sent my shocks to be rebuilt back to Greg, he told me "These are the absolute worst looking shocks I've ever seen." :lol:
LOL That's probably the culprit then.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Really? I'm about to pull the trigger on the extended travel kit on PRG with the SAWs. Maybe some others will chime in because now I'm curious.

Might be waiting a while for those new SAW's. I switched my order to Radflo's because there was no SAW's being shipped in the foreseeable future. "quoting Greg"

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Best to get a backup set if you can't be w/o your Titan.

A pair of Bilstein 5100s on their top setting and maybe a used 1.5" leveling kit would work for a couple of weeks.
I'm running the HD's with a PRG 2.5" leveling kit as my backups, and I could get another 1/2" to 3/4" if I got some '09 4x4 or Pro-4x coils on them.

Of course the other option is to get the Radflo's and sell the SAW's as is.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've thought about doing something like that. Buying the 5100s and putting a level kit on top of that so I can still clear the 35s without rubbing. I love the SAWs when they don't need rebuilt...

I'm not really looking to replace them with brand new units, but if it comes to that.... :(

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Im also about to pull the trigger on Radflows. I currently have 5100s w/2" spacers and will be holding on to these as backups.
I'd be curious to know if any one with radflows in the colder climates are happening to rebuild them each year?

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Im also about to pull the trigger on Radflows. I currently have 5100s w/2" spacers and will be holding on to these as backups.
I'd be curious to know if any one with radflows in the colder climates are happening to rebuild them each year?
When I had my SAWs on my truck they went through a Lake Tahoe Winter with no problems. I think it's kind of hit or miss man. Another thing that is really hard on seals is if the vehicles sit for extended period of time. The seals in any high end shock are pretty similar. The climate I live in now is very mild and my Radflos are leaking after two years.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts