Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after one failed attempt about a month or so ago (thanks to a bolt that wouldn't break loose), my Sway-A-Way (SAW) coilovers are finally installed. I got PO'd yesterday and decided that my best approach would be to heat the bolt and try and break it loose. Why hadn't I tried this before?? I don't have a torch here at my apartment. After a trip to Lowe's and $40 later, I became the proud owner of a new Benz-o-matic Trigger Start Torch.

After applying some heat, the bolt was finally turning freely. The weather was unusually nice yesterday for March in Pennsylvania, so I decided to lug the jack out of my apartment and begin the installation. All told, it took about 2.5 hours total, including getting stuff out/putting it away to complete along with the help of my neighbor. It took about 45 mins alone to get that stubborn bolt out. If everything goes right, it's about a 1-1.5 hr job for the 'average joe'.

While I was at it, I also removed the swaybar. The advantages of it's removal has been discussed in detail before on several occasions so I won't bore you with that info.

Before, the fender well measured in at 44 1/2". After install, it now measures at 45 5/8", give or take. Roughly an inch higher than it was before. That is with 3/4" of preload on the shock itself. I truly believe that the stock shocks were merely worn out and sagging, which is what caused this 1" difference.

I've only driven it about 10 miles since the install and so far I'm impressed. Definitely handles the road much better, however on a short section of a rough and twisty asphalt road, the extra body roll is noticed and extra attention needs to be paid. I'm definitely willing to adapt though. This is the first auto that I've driven without a swaybar, so my driving style will need to be adjusted and will have to get 're-acquainted' with how this thing drives.

All that's left to do is re-install the skidplates!

Oh yeah, doesn't PA road salt do wonders!!!

Anyway, enough BS, here are the pics:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
nice! you'll adapt quickly to driving w/out sway bar, it'll even become enjoyable sometimes, hehe.....

looks good though, I know they've been a long time coming, congrats!

·
Registered
458 Posts
nice nice! looks very good

I remember when doing my front SAWs/rear Bisteins w/ deavers, we couldnt get one of the rear bolts out... we even tried heating it!

Finally, my buddy's neighbor came over... threw a wrench on the bolt, let it hang down, and put a jack to it.... spun off like a breeze then! haha

come to think of it, I should probably double check all those bolts now (5k miles.... well past due!)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Good job Warrior, i cant wait to upgrade my suspension these mud graps are puttin a hurtin on my baby!
You think you could ever draw up some shops for me on the front skid plate?
I might be approaching BuckStop bumpers about fabbing me one up if I purchase one of there front bumpers.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jasonmotox said:
Good job Warrior, i cant wait to upgrade my suspension these mud graps are puttin a hurtin on my baby!
You think you could ever draw up some shops for me on the front skid plate?
I might be approaching BuckStop bumpers about fabbing me one up if I purchase one of there front bumpers.

I have drawings for everything. Shoot me your email in a PM.

·
Premium Member
92,191 Posts
Nice job Warrior! Gotta love those SAW's!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Man, those do look nice! You going to get SAWs in the rear also?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Juday said:
Man, those do look nice! You going to get SAWs in the rear also?
No, I have the Bilstein 5125's already, which is good enough for me. I'd like to upgrade eventually to the Deaver's though.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
cool. i swapped coilovers by myself. 5 hours later and big time arm cramping i was done. i really hate suspension. it's just a few bolts but it's a pita.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For comparison's sake: YUCK!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
so did you Titans get longer SAW's or are those the same lengths as what me and everyone else are running, just with some badass black springs?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NIZMO4X2 said:
so did you Titans get longer SAW's or are those the same lengths as what me and everyone else are running, just with some badass black springs?

These are longer to accomodate the 6" lifts. If you notice the last pic, the SAW and stock shock are shown side by side. Notice the 6" spacer that is ontop of the stock c/o. That was part of the Stage 1 kit from ProComp. I'm not sure exactly how much longer these ones are but probably, if I had to assume, about 5" or so.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Awesome! :upsidedow ... yet another happy SAW-installed owner... now save those pennies for the rear SAW's... and PRG A arms... and PRG traction bars... and then... eventually upgrade to the PRG mid-travel kit... :cheers: at least that's what's on my current suspension wishlist...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
54warrior said:
Well, after one failed attempt about a month or so ago (thanks to a bolt that wouldn't break loose), my Sway-A-Way (SAW) coilovers are finally installed. I got PO'd yesterday and decided that my best approach would be to heat the bolt and try and break it loose. Why hadn't I tried this before?? I don't have a torch here at my apartment. After a trip to Lowe's and $40 later, I became the proud owner of a new Benz-o-matic Trigger Start Torch.

After applying some heat, the bolt was finally turning freely. The weather was unusually nice yesterday for March in Pennsylvania, so I decided to lug the jack out of my apartment and begin the installation. All told, it took about 2.5 hours total, including getting stuff out/putting it away to complete along with the help of my neighbor. It took about 45 mins alone to get that stubborn bolt out. If everything goes right, it's about a 1-1.5 hr job for the 'average joe'.

While I was at it, I also removed the swaybar. The advantages of it's removal has been discussed in detail before on several occasions so I won't bore you with that info.

Before, the fender well measured in at 44 1/2". After install, it now measures at 45 5/8", give or take. Roughly an inch higher than it was before. That is with 3/4" of preload on the shock itself. I truly believe that the stock shocks were merely worn out and sagging, which is what caused this 1" difference.

I've only driven it about 10 miles since the install and so far I'm impressed. Definitely handles the road much better, however on a short section of a rough and twisty asphalt road, the extra body roll is noticed and extra attention needs to be paid. I'm definitely willing to adapt though. This is the first auto that I've driven without a swaybar, so my driving style will need to be adjusted and will have to get 're-acquainted' with how this thing drives.

All that's left to do is re-install the skidplates!

Oh yeah, doesn't PA road salt do wonders!!!

Anyway, enough BS, here are the pics:

There a beautiful thing aren't they,And the ride is day and night.You know the stockers are a POS right off the showroom floor. I changed mine (but I bought Donahoe's) soon after purchasing the truck and the stocker's are supposed to have a gas charge. one uncompressed a little after compressing and one did nothing. So the stock shocks are JUNK from the get go.Congrats! oh! and your the first guy from the other side of the country that doesn't have the rear too high. like the stance!:thumbsup: NOT like Hooligans truck! :rofl:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
BECHLYF said:
So the stock shocks are JUNK from the get go.Congrats! oh! and your the first guy from the other side of the country that doesn't have the rear too high. like the stance!:thumbsup: NOT like Hooligans truck! :rofl:
oem shocks are filled with a foam cell. you'd be lucky if it WAS gas-charged. and just for your info bech, the front was lower the last time you saw it cuz it was sitting like warrior's prior to that meet, but i took the preload out so it would perform better in the desert, which it did. anyways warrior, truck look daamn gud and trust us, you'll love the SAWs and the no sway bar ride offroad... heck at least you're still not rolling on stock wheels like bech...:jester:

·
Registered
647 Posts
So there are two different SAW coilover types? Mine adjust from the bottom.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dut said:
So there are two different SAW coilover types? Mine adjust from the bottom.
yes, two types. The longer ones like I have and the kind for non-bracket lifted applications:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Good shlt. :)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
54warrior said:
yes, two types. The longer ones like I have and the kind for non-bracket lifted applications:

Are those shcoks with rezzys only for the rear of a lifted titan?

I have the reg SAW's in the front (4" suspension lift / Just A-arms and shocks) but I didn't know they made anything for the rear. I have DR's back there...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
hooligan said:
oem shocks are filled with a foam cell. you'd be lucky if it WAS gas-charged. and just for your info bech, the front was lower the last time you saw it cuz it was sitting like warrior's prior to that meet, but i took the preload out so it would perform better in the desert, which it did. anyways warrior, truck look daamn gud and trust us, you'll love the SAWs and the no sway bar ride offroad... heck at least you're still not rolling on stock wheels like bech...:jester:
I thgouth only the Rancho's like I had were filled with foam rubber, the stock non 4x4/OR shocks are better than the OR ones (excpet for the springs)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
14 Participants
54warrior
Nissan Titan Forum
Nissan Titan Talk Forum is a community for truck owners to discuss the Titan Cummins, Warrior, Midnight Edition and more!
Full Forum Listing