Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a pair of SAW coilovers from PRG recently, and I expect them to be here shortly. My plans were to leave them off until the springtime though, because of the harsh salt/calcium chloride that the PA DOT uses on the roadways during wintertime. Then I got to thinking, what if I bought a nice set of shock covers from Outerwears or some other mfg.? I could utilize them during the winter months to protect the shocks, then take them off during the summertime and show off the shocks.

I have used these in the past on my ATV's and have seen them used on a dirt Late Model. They work well at protecting the shocks themselves. I've seen two different styles, the Outerwears kind made out of the same material as an Outerwears for your air filter which utilize velcro to attach around the shock. The other style is made with neoprene and uses a zipper.

The only negative comment that I have about them is that they will rub the paint off of the springs. When I called Greg to order the shocks, he explained that the black springs were simply powdercoated red springs. So essentially, the covers would have to wear through the powdercoating first, exposing the original red color beneath. That is gonna look like crap IMHO. I have also heard of a few cases where the covers will prevent the air from passing across the shock body, resulting in overheating. My truck is, for the most part, a daily driver, so I don't think that is a concern for me.

What does anyone think? Shock covers or NOT? For roughly $30, it seems like a wise investment to protect my $900 shocks.

After doing a bit of research, i need to know what length are the SAW coilovers and what size of spring do they use? I think it's a 2.5" ID spring, correct, but what is the length?

The Outerwears "Shockwears" are available for shock lengths 10-14" in a variety of colors, for $30.

These, from Shox Skinz, state they are for coilovers that use a 2-5/8" ID spring and a 9" shock, also $30, in either flames or solid colors and can also be personalized for only $5.

Then there is a company called DirtSkins that will custom make the neoprene kind for whatever size you need, again, about $30 for the pair, and solid or any of these designs:

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
The bracket lifted coilovers are approx 22" long overall and the OD of the spring is about 4.5". The powdercoating is typically really good (we use the same company that Eibach uses for thier sway bars).

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that info Greg. Any thoughts on the use of the covers??

·
Premium Member
75,170 Posts
the only thing i hated about my shockwares on my atv were taking them off to clean them... the material didn't seem like it was thick enough to prevent air from getting in and out IMO. i'm not sure if the truck version would be a heavier gauge material vs. the atv models however.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
54warrior said:
Thanks for that info Greg. Any thoughts on the use of the covers??
You wont overheat the shocks. And I really think the powdercoat will be fine (the black is about 10x harder/thicker than the Eibach paint). I say go for it. Just keep an eye on things to insure that the covers don't actually trap dirt inside.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The best thing you can do for you coil overs is to rinse them off often to get rid of any road grime etc. The shock covers will not keep moisture out, so the shocks will still corrode if there is an issue.

Rinsing with warm soapy water and then spraying the shocks with some sort of rust inhibitor would be you best bet.

Glenn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts