Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's common sense I know, but I was in a hurry due to time and it's 800 degrees out. Without thinking I sprayed an entire can of Seafoam in the intake just before the MAF. Everything went the way I remembered it the last time I did Seafoam on another car years ago. Idle went down, smelled carbon, saw white smoke, idled kinda ruff. After the treatment I let it run at idle for about 10 minutes. Turned it off and about 30 minutes later I took it for a test run for some romping. Turned over fine, drove down the road, it shifted smoothly up to 3rd gear, came to a stop light, hung a right and juiced it. At 3k it cut out but was still running. It would not go over 1.5k. I pulled over and killed it for about 10 minutes. Fired it up and slowly brought it to 5k while in park. I thought that was that and maybe it just needed to sit for a few. Not the case. It keeps cutting out at 3k when I'm driving. This all took place about an hour ago so I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping there is another alternative other then buying a new MAF. Any input?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Uh, why'd you spray seafoam down your intake?:ftard:

"Sea Foam Spray is for internal engine use only to clean carbon deposits from intake systems, intake valves, and combustion chambers of your engine. For internal engine use only; for use in 2- and 4-cycle engines."

Go to the nearest auto store and pick up some MAF cleaner, comes in a tall red can, pull your MAF out and soak it with that a few times then try to run her again...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I just wasn't thinking. I saw that can of MAF sensor cleaning and was wondering if that might do the trick. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts

"Sea Foam Spray is for internal engine use only to clean carbon deposits from intake systems, intake valves, and combustion chambers of your engine. For internal engine use only; for use in 2- and 4-cycle engines."

Go to the nearest auto store and pick up some MAF cleaner, comes in a tall red can, pull your MAF out and soak it with that a few times then try to run her again...
??????????????????

I read the title and was like HUH? I have used Seafoam for my Pilot a few times since it turned 100k miles and have had no problems....but why did you put in down your intake????

·
Super Moderator
161,880 Posts
Yeah, get some MAF cleaner and see if that'll do the trick.

Wish I could honestly say I haven't had some of those "mental vacation" moments in all my years shade tree wrenching, but I have. :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts

You can use Seafoam to clean carbon and varnish deposits from the tops of cylinders and the backs of intake valves, add 1 oz. Sea Foam® to each gallon of fuel. Sea Foam® will slowly re-liquefy the varnish and gum deposits that hold carbon together.

To remove carbon and varnish deposits more quickly, Sea Foam® can be induced directly into the combustion chamber via the following method. With the engine warmed up and running, SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam® down the carburetor throat or into any main manifold vacuum line that DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS or use Sea Foam® Spray through the throttle body.

Once the product has been applied, turn off the engine and allow the Sea Foam® to heat soak for a minimum of 10 minutes. At this time, Sea Foam® will dissolve the varnish deposits that hold carbon together. After allowing the Sea Foam® to soak, restart the engine in a WELL VENTILATED AREA as exhaust will be extreme for a short time. Drive aggressively for 2 to 5 miles to allow all the atomized carbon to be safely expelled from the system. REPEAT Sea Foam® TREATMENT AS NECESSARY

Sea Foam® Spray is a petroleum product that is safe for all surfaces however; when the Mass Airflow goes into "Burn off mode" any petroleum that has been applied directly to the sensor will super heat and possibly burn out the sensor wire.
To easily avoid this condition when using Sea Foam® Spray, take special care to ensure that the end of the cleaning tube that is installed in the throttle body is positioned downstream from the MAF sensor. The potential for sensor damage only exists when a petroleum product is applied directly to the sensor to the point of saturation.:crying:

Using Seafoam Spray to Clean a Sealed Intake System

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
If you must buy an MAF, buy the JET MAF as it is an OEM by Hitachi that although it claims to be reprogrammed, acts just like OEM. It only cost $135 at Summit or elsewhere, vs $250-300 from Nissan. Results from my Street runs; and Dyno runs backed it up at UpRev.

Reactions: IRISH MIKE

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welp, guess Ive just had the luxury of not having to monkey around with anything automotive for awhile. Although Im shaking my head in disappointment, Im extremely relived. I thought, for some reason, the throttle body was the MAF. I have a Volant CAI and I injected the Seafoam where the Volant tube meets the throttle body. I took it all apart and it looks like most of the Seafoam landed in side the tube. Im guessing that when I gave it some juice, it just sucked more Seafoam down the intake. I took the tube off and cleaned it all out and sense I picked up some MAF sensor cleaner I shinned that up as well. Put it all back together and shizzam. She runs like a raped ape. Thanks for the input fellas and Ill stay on point next time.

Reactions: TitanBlue and RyBo

·
Registered
3 Posts

So I kinda done the same but I pored in gas full tank . Think it made mine run higher . And set sencer off . Its went off and cam back on a couple times 77 thoudand miles . 06

1 - 10 of 10 Posts