Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...this is my first post on the forum but I figured if I had questions this is the best place to find answers.

Background

I have a 2009 Titan and my wife (I let her think it is hers) has a 2010 Titan. Mine is Black and hers is a deep blue. I used to pride myself in how well I take care of them...washed weekly during the summer and biweekly when I can during the winter and a wax 2-3 times a year...I have clayed before but not on these two....I watched Junkman's videos and found out I am doing it all wrong so I will start the right way... I digress.

Last week I got a call from the dealership asking me if I wanted to have the Zurich shield put on the vehicles...I said yes at first but after research found out it isnt worth the $500 per application. Many people say to clay, seal, wax. I have never heard of sealer before so I am not sure how that compares to polishing. Can anyone clue me in? The other question I have is if I do clay/seal/wax will it help keep dust from dirt roads from clinging to the paint? We do a lot of camping in the summer and the truck is washed weekly due to the layers of dust...I just want to figure out an easy way to make the cleanup easier. Thanks everyone!

Jake

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
just keep doing what you do
the $500 sealer to me isnt worth it

Reactions: BigSexy3661

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Welcome, to a fellow Pa. boy. Clay and wax and use a quick detalier (spray wax)after every wash.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The expensive dealer add-on sealants are a total joke and borderline unethical. It's usually no better than what you can source and apply yourself (in some cases literally the same thing), and best-case-scenario won't last any longer than a handful of months anyway, so again the same as what you can do yourself. The exception would be a new product produced by a company called Optimum, but that wouldn't be applied by a hack dealer "detailer", and it's still pretty hard to find approved installers of this product right now.

Anyways...

A polish is an abrasive that contains no protective qualities. It's basically light compound. Some people, including a few in the car care industry, incorrectly label their sealants and waxes as polishes, when they're not. Gets everybody confused.

Sealants and waxes do the same basic job, however, sealants are synthetic-based, and waxes are naturally-based. It's another area where the terms are sometimes used incorrectly, but suffice to say that the vast majority of stuff you see on the retail shelves are sealants, regardless of what they call them. There's very few companies that still make "wax" anymore, and you're probably not going to see them on the shelves of your local AutoZone anyway. It doesn't really matter, because unless your Titan is a garage queen that never gets driven or rained on, you'll probably appreciate a sealant more.

If you dislike dust, as you mentioned, you'll want to stick to the synthetic sealant side of things, as the natural waxes are notorious for attracting crap. It you keep a solid layer of sealant on the paint, and dressing on the tires, wheel wells, and plastic trim, you'll have a little easier job on your after-camping clean-ups, but nothing's going to be a magic bullet for taking a clean truck down a dirt road/trail.

Regardless of the wax/sealant/polish labeling mess, if I didn't want to hassle with mail-order, I'd give these a try:

-Meguiars NXT 2.0
-Collinite 845
-Duragloss 105 or 111

Other guys might have some recommendations as well. The Adam's stuff seems to be mentioned a lot amongst the guys who want a full line of products that's better than what they can find on the store shelves, but don't want to take the time to get really deep into a full-on detail forum for individual product research from professionals (who don't generally use Adams).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the information. I am really glad I didn't go through with the dealer rip off...Now to find time to get the good dealer and wax on before they start throwing salt on the road. I think maybe I will claybar before I do any of it because according to JunkMan new vehicles need it too. Thanks again.

Jake

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If you want a decent high solids polymer sealant ie; Teflon... Purchase a bottle of 3m Teflon coating for vehicle surfaces.
It's a bear to work with but will get the job done just the same

·
Registered
889 Posts
Look out 2 T's from Shippensburg. Welcome

1 - 8 of 8 Posts