Nissan Titan Forum banner

Seat Heaters

38K views 195 replies 38 participants last post by  busemans 
#1 ·
Having just picked up my truck 2 weeks ago and having only 700 miles on it. I noticed something odd. My seat heaters take a long time to heat up and when they do, I noticed that they only work on the bottom of the seat. In my wife's Pathfinder, they work on the back and the bottom. They also work on the back and the bottom in my 2012 G37. Is it normal for the seat heaters to work only on the bottom in the Titan and should they take 15-20 minutes to warm up?

#2 ·
At least in my 2008 both the bottom and back heat up. It also only takes a minute or two. If I have it on the high setting it takes a few minutes to actually get all the way up to temp, but it's nowhere near 15 minutes.

Another guy on here had a similar issue with his steering wheel. He took it back to the dealer.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response. I find it odd that a truck with 700 miles on it would already have a problem. hmmmmm

#5 · (Edited)
It’s a heating pad element and they take their time warming up, in my new Titan and 2018 Rogue. Personally I rarely use them and turn them off soon aftrrcas it’s not a pleasant feeling once it gets very warm.

Clint

#6 ·
You have Platinum Reserve so the Fronts are both heat and cool which do not use the heat pad but instead blow air. This is drastically different than the back seats which are also heated.

I had the same problem. There was an issue with the installation of the seat cover where the holes which allow the air to push through weren't aligned up properly. Took to the deal and they fixed it.

But make no mistake about it. It wont 1) warm up fast 2) warm up very hot and 3) warm up your back. That sucks but I was told that was 'by design' basically.

#10 ·
Turns out my instincts were right. Nissan dealer looked at it and said it was bad. New seat heater for the drivers seat is on order. Truck will be down for a six hour job to have it replaced. 1300 miles. I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come. Thank god for 100k warranty.

#11 ·
No, it’s not a sign of things to come it’s just a simple part that failed. It’s better to go bad now than way down the road and on your dime.

Clint

Reactions: Shinobu Sensui
#13 ·
Mine is going into the dealer next week heated seats in my PRO X4 heat very slowly and do not get very hot I say this TSB but can't read the whole thing as I don't subscribe. NTB17109

Subject: SB 2016-2018 Titan / Titan XD; Climate Controlled Seats Poor Or No Operation
Summary of NTB17109:
IF YOU CONFIRM
The Climate Controlled (Heated and Cooled) seats do not heat or cool well, or do not work at all.
NOTE: This issue, if it should occur, may occur on only the driver seat, or only the front passenger seat, or both front seats.
ACTION
Refer to the Repair Overview flow chart on page 2.
See this bulletin for further detail.
https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB_xml/nmIndex.aspx?tsbType=TSB

#14 ·
The tech that is working on my truck literally just returned from trading on the seat heaters. Both hear and cooling use a fan. The holes in the seat and in the seat back are for both heating and cooling. He confirms that the fan was not turning properly. Now, unfortunately, the heating unit is on back order which tells me that this is a pretty common issue. I might have them look at the passenger seat too.

#19 ·
Those books in our glove box, HUH?

Page 2-61

Climate Controlled Seat (if so equipped)

The climate controlled seat warms up or cools down the front seat by blowing warm or cool air from under the surface of the seat.

The climate controlled seat can be operated as follows.
1. Start the engine
2. Turn the control knob to the heat side or the cool side.
3. Adjust the desired amount of air using the control knob.
4. When the vehicle's interior is warmed or cooled, or before you leave the vehicle, be sure to turn the control knob to the OFF position.

To check the air filter for the climate controlled seat, it is recommended that you contact a NISSAN dealer.

Is it using air across the seat from the heater core? Maybe that's why the climate controlled seats don't seem to be hot or respond as quickly like a regular heated seat?

#20 ·
So, I am told that this has to do with the Climate Controlled seats and not the heated seats. So those with just heated seats, I believe, do not have a blower fan. The issue is not with the heating or cooling element, it is with the blower fan not working correctly. My seats heat up, eventually (15-20 minutes). When they do finally come up to temperature, they heat up all of a sudden and almost burn my butt. That tells me the heating element is working just fine and the fan is not doing its job to move the air through the seat, which also regulates the heating element correctly. Without the fan, the heating element gets too hot and can actually cause a fire. (think of your run of the mill hair dryer). That is all I know for now. I'll come back with more as I learn it

#21 ·
I believe you’re misunderstanding how the system works, if you have heated and cooled seats it’s just air that comes from your heater or air conditioning blowing through the perforated holes in your seats. There is no such thing as a cooling element.
Those of us who have only heat have a heating element like in a heating pad in your house. I have leather seats and they take longer for an occupant to even feel the heat but those same seats covered in cloth warm up to the touch faster, once I feel any heat I turn them off as I don’t find it pleasant to sit on a warm surface, makes you feel like you’re 2 again and wet your pants. I don’t not like a heated wheel either, just more crap to break in a vehicle.

Clint

#22 ·
As I mentioned earlier in this post the TSB says the passage way that the fan blows air through could be partially collapsed not allowing the air to flow properly. I confirmed this with my service manager. I will hopefully have a better answer on Wednesday after my appointment. He also side they were a pain in the *** not near as good as the old setup.

#25 ·
What apparatus chills a seat. You can have a heating element but what can cool a seat other than chilled air. Especially if they use forced air to circulate the temperature.

Clint

Reactions: slyfur1
#29 ·
To put this to rest, I can confirm that the seats do not operate from the HVAC.

There are HVAC vents on the floorboard close to the rear of the seat, but they're foot vents for rear seat passengers. They're in no way tied to the seats. There's an air gap between the floorboard and the entire seat bottom with no vent hose running to the seat.

Also, I can have my cooled or heated seat on with the HVAC off.

#30 · (Edited)
As mentioned earlier guys my truck was in the shop today for my seat heater what they found was as per the service bulletin the heater itself is, for lack of a better word I'll say tie wrapped up, it has a habit of falling down and blocking the air vent the air vent is what the heat blows through to heat your seat. They ordered me parts to correct the problem I will let you know if the problem is solved once my new parts come in hope this helps everybody that's having this problem

#31 ·
Update. Just got my truck back after the certified that both seat heater fans were not working. I drove in to work this AM. Took about 15 minutes for the seat heater to begin to generate warmth. Then it took another 10 or so for me to feel something significant. Funny thing is, I could have sworn that the seat got cold when I first turned it on. I am not sure if it was my imagination or no. Anyway, I don 't feel like the problem is fixed. I will be contacting the dealership again.

#38 ·
Monty if you have the climate controlled seats that heat and cool you will want to ensure the dealer executed the service bulletin correctly. Try to look under your seat to identify the color of the seat cushion. If the color is beige/yellowish then u have the old style that needs to be replaced. If the color of the cushion is greyish white then u have the updated cushion and there is some other issue.

My 2016 xd heaters were as bad as yours until they put in the redesigned seat cushions, distribition bag and covers. Now they heat up fast; night and day difference...

#42 ·
Thank you, that is really good to know. The problem is, my build date is June 18, 2018. I don't have my VIN off the top of my head, but I'd imagine that my build number is out of that range. That being said, I am going to inspect the seat anyway and forward this bulletin to my service rep.

#44 ·
Update: The replacement of the fans did not fix the problem. The truck is back in the dealership today. The took the truck and suggested I get a rental as they certified that it is still not working properly. I will keep you all posted on the results in case anyone else is having this issue. Other than that, the truck has been great. Sucks that I am 4600 miles after only 2 months.

Reactions: Titan332009
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.