Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I took dear old mom out shopping today and as we all know, no good deed goes unpunished. As mom was talking on her cell phone while attempting to exit the truck at the same time she managed to get the seatbelt strap stuck on the door handle. The belt it tight and no leeway to give to release the safety catch. The handle is pulled a little but not enough so the door fails to stay shut at the moment. How can I fix this mess? Is there a way I can release the tension on the belt although it wont pull at all? Does the door handle need to be taken off and is that a possiblity under the circumstances?
Needless to say I am totally amazed that my mom has managed to do put the truck in this predicament. What should I expect the dealer to recommend? I know I could cut the belt but how much would that route end up costing me? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as my Titan needs help. Thanks for any input.:ftard:

2011 Nissan Titan S Crew Cab

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Well this is fricking awesome!
Nice first post and welcome to TitanTalk! :cheers:
You have to be the first to have this kind of problem.
Is the door tightly closed?
If it isn't, put somebody into the seat and have them try and release the inertia reel at the same time somebody on the outside tries to shut the door tightly.
You will only get one chance at this.

My bet is the dealer will be stumped too.

Not sure if the door handle comes off easily, but if plan A doesn't work, plan B will have to go to the mat.

Reactions: Prepared101

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for your enthusiastic response.

I guess there is a first for everything!

The door is shut tight and the seat belt strap is so tight it is pulling on the handle a bit. If I mess with it anymore by opening the door a little the strap will just tighten down on the handle to the point the door will not shut. As it would not shut if someone pulled on the handle to open the door.

This situation makes me think of stupid pet tricks!!!:bangit:

Maybe unbolting the seatbelt mounting would work. Of course I am not wanting to really do this myself for fear of screwing something up and the safety of the belt or mechanism being compromised.

My day was all ****s and giggles hanging out with dear mom until this fiasco occurred. Luckily my truck is the S model with the shifter on the tree and not between the front seats or mom would have been stuck and unable to exit the drivers side door.

This falls under the FML category I think!

·
Super Moderator
161,881 Posts
If certainly falls under some kind of category. :lol:

Undo the bottom one. Don't mess with the tensioner one. You can get to it by crawling through the back seat. It's a plastic cap that easily pops off, and then what looks like maybe an 18mm bolt. Done.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
will the botom of the seatbelt come off? I know u cant get the door open, but i think the bolt is under the seat, so maybe from the backseat you can get to the bottom part of the belt seystem and take that off?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
where are u located, im sure someone may be able to help out.

·
Premium Member
15,692 Posts
do you have the height adjustment at the top of the seatbelt? maybe you can lower that to get some slack.

·
Super Moderator
161,881 Posts
The one bolt holding the fixed end will be able to be gotten to from the back. You're going to have to contort a little, but you can reach it.

Reactions: Prepared101

·
Registered
979 Posts
Dont worry about unbolting the belt. Its designed to be unbolted just need to use some force to get it to start unthreading. Thats what i would try for sure.

-Dave

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
try the height thing first. have you tried moving the seat forward and up? That may help also. this would be easier than unbolting the thing.

·
Super Moderator
161,881 Posts
The seat position has nothing to do with the tension on the belt. Moving it forward will help you get to that bolt of the fixed end, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I already dropped the height adjustment to the lowest position and it was not enough to get the tension to release on the belt. I will look into removing the lower anchor for the seatbelt as suggested. I would think that would easily give enough slack to correct the issue. I will let you all know how that works out for me. Thanks for all the ideas.

·
Premium Member
5,024 Posts
It's a 14mm bolt, put the seat forward, pop the cap off and put a little a$$ behind the ratchet, it'll come right out, as it does though, just beware there is a wire attached to it for part of the safety system (not sure which one, i'm assuming part of airbag, if unplugged the light will stay flashing) So once it's undone, don't start the truck until you reconnect the wiring. I know because I just had my interior apart today for some installations and such. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
did you ever fix this? you left us hangin bro!
I was just thinking the same thing

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
878 Posts
did you ever fix this? you left us hangin bro!
he was working on it and then his mom closed the doors and locked them
he is now locked in his truck without the keys and the battery is dead.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts