Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up to 120,000 miles on my titan and I just changed all the fluids. I noticed a buildup of oil on the right rear brake dust cover or whatever and have a feeling my axle is going out for a second time almost the exact number of miles on this one as was on the first when it went out. I'm out of warranty, but I was told this wouldn't happen again. will nissan cover this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea I'm sure its a leaking axle seal. The warranty replaced the first axle, so I recognize the problem. Are the axle seals hard to replace?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Not hard, but requires a press to press the new bearings on. I was just looking into it and the older axles use Timken Set 10 and the newer larger diameter shafts use Timken Set 80 bearings. The set includes the bearing, race and retainer. The Timken Set 10 are around $25 and the seals are $22, so figure $50 per side. The seal is between the bearing and the flange on the shaft, so you have to cut the bearing & retainer off to get to the seal.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I just ordered 2x Timken Set 10 from Amazon for around $58 (The local NAPA wanted $50 per set for some Japanese brand) shipped and two seals from mynissanparts.com for about the same. I also talked to a local shop that will press the bearings on for $40.

Then you need a can of brake cleaner, 75-140 synthetic gear oil, and some RTV for the diff cover. I think you will find that compares rather favorably with dealer rear axle seal replacement pricing.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Getting ready to do this myself. Thought somebody - one of the online dealers, or an ebay guy - was selling a kit of the OE parts needed for the job. Guess I need to dig into it again.

Anyways, I haven't looked into the job for a while, but I didn't think it required R&R of the rear end cover?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
True, but I figured might as well check things out, have a look down the axle tubes, swab them if necessary, and I want to have a look to see if my truetrac bolts are backing out.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Getting ready to do this myself. Thought somebody - one of the online dealers, or an ebay guy - was selling a kit of the OE parts needed for the job.
Yeah, but they want about $96 per side shipped.

Amazon is $28 shipped for the bearing and mynissanparts.com is $22 + I think $12.50 shipping for the seal (no additional shipping charge for 2 seals)

·
Registered
542 Posts
True, but I figured might as well check things out, have a look down the axle tubes, swab them if necessary, and I want to have a look to see if my truetrac bolts are backing out.
I wasn't correcting you, just making sure my memory on the issue hadn't totally failed.

Yeah, but they want about $96 per side shipped.

Amazon is $28 shipped for the bearing and mynissanparts.com is $22 + I think $12.50 shipping for the seal (no additional shipping charge for 2 seals)
Thanks for info. I really do have to order the goods in the next couple of days. Going to the in-laws for Christmas. My FIL was a mechanic in his younger days, and the next door neighbor has a really nice shop with a lot of crap, including a press large enough for the job. Better than doing it all at home by myself, and trying to source out a place to have the press work done.

Sorry uni_boy15 for the thread hgihjack, I'm done. BTW does "uni" have anything to do with a school in Iowa?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts