Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am actually on the market for my first truck. I am looking at the F-150, and now the Titan as my two favorites.

I have a open mind, please give me your reasons why I should pick the Titon. I am very logical, and love refferences to backup statements. (such as reviews, stats on websites)

1 Question that stands out so far.. Does the Titan offer a reverse sensing system?

I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks for your help, I hope to be swayed and a new Titan owner in the comming week.

Steven
:cheers:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was in your exact same boat last week. I have since narrowed it down to the Titan because of the following:
1. Best power in class
2. Most interior room in class
3. Nissan reputation for relability
4. Gas mileage probably but not confirmed best in class
5. Comfort, I've only test drove cloth seats because that's what I want but I think they are extremely comfortable, I did sit in one with leather and it seemed more comfortable and softer than the Ford's.
6.Utility box, bed rail tie downs, I haul 3 motorcycles atleast twice a week and this is a major convenience for me.
7. I'm sure there are many more supporting arguments for the Titan...I'll leave you with this one...it is by far the best value for the money in my opinion...I'm just working on the right deal on the properly equipped truck and I'm an owner.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
No reverse sensing system, but there are plenty of places for aftermarket (Local electronics stores) to get that or a camera if you so desire.

Edit: I stand corrected...apperantly on the LE there is one.

Me and my wife searched pretty hard for our truck as well. We drove every 1/2 ton out there. The biggest selling points for us are below.

Reasons to buy:

1. Power. This truck has it.
2. Looks - This is of course up to the individual. Me and my wife both like its bullish appeal.
3. It had what we wanted in specific Pkgs. Things we didn't want came on the LE versions mostly. Hence our SE.
4. Dimensions. Overall dimensions allow it to fit in the garage. Also, we chose the KC for the 6'7" bed vice the CC with the shorter bed for HD projects and desert toys.
5. Towing capacity. For a 1/2 Ton, this truck has what we have in mind for it.
6. Solid Tranny - While yes, its a new drivetrain. We are really impressed with the combo and the ability of this tranny to be in the right gear at the right time. Also, cruising at 70 on the interstate is just under 2k RPM.
7. Exhaust Note - Truck sounds tuff but the drone at highway speed is not overbearing.

Basically, it looks like a fulls size truck, drives like a full size truck, Easy enough for momma to drive and simply just does it for us.

Like I said, we drove them all. We wieghed them all against each other. Yes, its a first year product, but having owned a few Nissans in my time (My current toy is a 87 300ZX) I have come to trust them as well.

Chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
well i can tell you this, i drove all the trucks out there, dodge hemi, the new f-150, and the silverado, all trucks had things that I liked but without a dout my last test drive was the best, the titan, and oooohhhh the smile on my face when i drove her, i have to have a truck that has power, and the titan has the power like no other i drove, and along with that, love the looks, the interior room in my crew cab, reliabiliy, and most of all holds retail better than all of them, well hope some of this helps, but test drive yourself and make your decision !!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wait a second

Yes, there is a reverse sensing system. It is an option with the LE package. So you gotta pay the extra money to have it. I am finding it very useful. I have driven a full size truck before, but it's been awhile. And after trading in a 350Z, it's nice to have a system to let me know when I'm going to back into something, or even when I haven't backed into a space far enough.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes the Le version does offer a reverse sensor.

In every head to head ive seen with the big three the titan has won. Even being awarded Four wheelers truck of the year. http://www.off-road.com/nissan/press/2004_01/truckofyear.html. This won over the f150 in almost every category. Recently car and driver named the titan the winner in there head to head.This is what they had to say about the f150 parkability (referencing your question about the sensor) "All trucks make it tough to judge distance when backing toward low objects, like the nose of another car. The high horizon set up by the tailgate blocks the critical view. The high-riding F-150 seems worst in that regard, a problem not eased by the optional rear-parking-distance indicator ($245). It starts beeping far from other vehicles, not so far from posts. And it changes to a solid tone when there’s still a foot of clearance to another vehicle. Give away a foot every time, and you make parking much harder than it needs to be." btw the article is a crew cab head to head. See whole article here http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7692&page_number=1
Edmunds.com, a premiere Internet resource for consumer automotive information, named the Titan the “Most Significant Vehicle of the Year for 2004” as well as “Editors Most Wanted Large Truck for 2004.” Sport Truck appointed Titan as its “Sport Truck of the Year." Smart Money magazine selected Titan over its competitors for its “Smart Money Award." In fact the only place I havent seen the titan win a head to head test is motor trends comparison. But in the past they have been bias. In the end the only way for you to decide is to drive it, and when you do you will understand why everyone in this forum raves about it.

If i missed anything im sure the rest of the users will help with that.
good luck.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=7272
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostwanted/2004/100682/article.html
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostwanted/2004/100661/article.html
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/nissan/titan/100370939/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=97805&tid=edmunds.e.roadtests.content...Nissan*
http://www.automotive.com/Reviews/09/2004/nissan/titan/
http://www.automotive.com/reviews/12/2004/nissan/titan/driving-impressions/
http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/nissan/2004/titan/firstdrive/home.shtml

·
Registered
190 Posts
Steven,

On 12/19/03 my wife and I left the house to go buy a Hemi Ram. I stopped by the Nissan dealer just to 'rule out' the Titan.. A couple of hours later I was driving it home..

Just give it a test drive..

Tony B

·
Registered
622 Posts
well

well, i have been in the market for a full-size truck for about a year now, and i wanted to wait to see what nissan had to offer after hearing about the TITAN. i'm not dissapointed i waited. the truck has it all, power, looks, you guys know the rest, i dont need to go on. i also love the feeling of having "the new kid on the block" with all the gawks and questions you get from people on the road. i also like the fact that only 100,000 are being made, so unlike the f-150 and the ram, you won't be sein a TITAN on every damn street corner (like im starting to see the new f-150)

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
sparent said:
I am actually on the market for my first truck. I am looking at the F-150, and now the Titan as my two favorites.

I have a open mind, please give me your reasons why I should pick the Titon. I am very logical, and love refferences to backup statements. (such as reviews, stats on websites)

1 Question that stands out so far.. Does the Titan offer a reverse sensing system?

I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks for your help, I hope to be swayed and a new Titan owner in the comming week.

Steven
:cheers:
My LE Crew Cab has a reverse sensing system that beeps loudly inside the cab as you approach something in reverse. There is a switch on the dash that allows you to turn it off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sound System

How about the sounds system? I havent heard much about this, and it doesnt look like you are going have any options for an AfterMarket system. Can anyone add anything to this? I happen to be into music, and have to have a solid sound.

Does it support MP3?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More questions..

-Is that a power sliding rear window that goes down?
-How is the turning radius in comparison to the Ford? (I know.. I should go and drive it, but I'm kinda excited and want to know now!)
-Headlights plenty bright?
-Dual Zone Heating and Cooling?
-Mileage computer/fansy gizmo with tempature.. all that.. you know what I mean

You know what I wish I seen more of? The Expidition Climate-controlled seats. I love the idea of having Leather cooled in the summer so I dont break a back sweat and stick to the seats so damn easy. LOL!

I am an options kind of guy. I want the top-of-the-line truck. If I get it, I see myself getting every option there is. hehe

Anyway, If I am going to drive the truck.. I know that is for sure.

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Did someone mention the most important one? (at least for me), the only one that offers 5 speed auto trans. This is the main reason why the Titan is so fast but still maintains good mileage (at least for the kind of power it has).

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
amati5 said:
Did someone mention the most important one? (at least for me), the only one that offers 5 speed auto trans. This is the main reason why the Titan is so fast but still maintains good mileage (at least for the kind of power it has).
the dodge with the hemi now comes standard with 5 speed automatic just so everyone knows ( i know like you care ) :jester: i would like to correct myself it is an option but almost always paired with the hemi

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
sparent said:
How about the sounds system? I havent heard much about this, and it doesnt look like you are going have any options for an AfterMarket system. Can anyone add anything to this? I happen to be into music, and have to have a solid sound.

Does it support MP3?

Thanks again!
LE Crew Cab w/Fosgate/Nav/DVD

It appears to me that the Fosgate radio & 6CD changer are tightly integrated with the DVD & Nav system, thus making radio replacement impractical. I don't know that to be the case for sure, but it appears that way. At least you would need to be very thorough in your research. The Fosgate sound system is very good (10 speakers - 350 Watts), at least for me. The CD changer does not play MP3 cds (Whaaaaaa) but will play CDRs. However, there is an aux jack on the face of the radio that allows you to plug in an MP3 player (e.g. IPOD or portable MP3 CD player), which you can power from the cigarette lighter sockets, of which there are two right below the radio. The one closest to the driver stays on when you turn the key off, the other one turns off with the key.

There is a little well in the console behind the shift lever (between the shift lever and the main center console box) where you could place an MP3 player, or you could put it in the main center console box next to the DVD player.

If you search on the net, it seems that you might be able to add a satellite radio. Google: Nissan Titan XM Satellite

·
Registered
382 Posts
sparent said:

Does it support MP3?

Thanks again!
The Rockford fosgate system sounds great. The player has support for mp3, it has a imput for a external mp3 player above the second dc outlet on the passenger side of the console.

The aftermarket needs some time to catch up to make a faceplate for aftermarket sound systems, its not broken up beause of the size of the fosgate system's indash 6 disk changer.

The only place other then your local dealer to buy the nissan xm system is here: http://www.leeauto.com/parts/titan.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tikigod said:
The Rockford fosgate system sounds great. The player has support for mp3, it has a imput for a external mp3 player above the second dc outlet on the passenger side of the console.

The aftermarket needs some time to catch up to make a faceplate for aftermarket sound systems, its not broken up beause of the size of the fosgate system's indash 6 disk changer.

The only place other then your local dealer to buy the nissan xm system is here: http://www.leeauto.com/parts/titan.html

Does the DVD Player play movies on the in dash screen also or is it just on an overhead in the back? If not, can the dash be used to display anything other than the NAV? Does it display Time, Trip, Temp, and all that jazz also?

Also, off subject... Do you have a problem with Brake pad dust on the wheeles or mud sling on the truck?

Thx

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
sparent said:
Does the DVD Player play movies on the in dash screen also or is it just on an overhead in the back? If not, can the dash be used to display anything other than the NAV? Does it display Time, Trip, Temp, and all that jazz also?

Also, off subject... Do you have a problem with Brake pad dust on the wheeles or mud sling on the truck?

Thx
The In-Dash screen displays NAV, settings menus, control indications (e.g. when you turn the A/C on, etc.) time, trip. But it does not display DVD. I have not noticed TEMP on the In-Dash screen, but outdoor temp shows on the interior rear view mirror.

Haven't noticed brade pad dust, but the truck is filthy at the moment from driving in snow and sloppy roads.

NAV system seems remarkably accurate (e.g. when passing under an overpass, the NAV display shows the little arrow exactly in position), also adapts to new route if you make a wrong turn or take an alternative route. There is a separate manual for the NAV system that is equal in thickness to the owner's manual.

BTW, you can go to www.nissan-techinfo.com and register for free and then download the owner's manual and nav system manual.

·
Registered
382 Posts
bestatchess answered pretty much all your questions. I've seen the nav display interior temp. for driver and passenger in lower left and lower right. Maybe its a setting to display.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Brake dust...oh yeah...lots of it. The pads are on the soft side meaning there is quite a bit of dust. Performance wise though, the brakes are excellent.

chris

1 - 20 of 32 Posts