Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 KC SE. Currently 71,300 miles. :smoke: At 69,700 the truck died on the freeway. Would start, but would not take fuel. Towed to dealer (no SES light ever on), and they diagnosed it as a bad IPDM to the tune of $400. Driving it home from dealer, it died again! Towed to another dealer - 4 hours away from the first - (no SES light ever on), and they diagnosed it as a bad fuel pump:teethmast . When it died, the motor sounded like a band of cymbals and tambourines banging around due to all the backfiring and sputtering it was doing. The transmission would not shift. Supposedly, the bad fuel pump caused a drop in pressure which told the computers there was a problem, and everything else stopped:huh: . NOW.:crying: ......driving the truck down the road, the SES light does come on. By the time I get pulled over, the SES light is off. Took a look under the hood, and all vitals were fine. Get back on the road, less than 8 miles later, SES on again. Get out, discover my oil dipstick is now barely touched by oil. Walk to a store, put 2 quarts in to get off the road. Less than 2 miles. Check oil, dipstick ok. 5 miles later, I shut it off, make a call. Start it up, great cloud of smoke, Batman!!! Towed to dealer, and all I have been towed as of today is that it will take a new engine....at least! I can't help but wonder if the earlier problems with the backfiring have now reared their ugly heads. Anyone have any input as to this, as I am not looking forward to this type of repair bill :grimrippe for this new of a truck. I know they did not charge me for this truck like it was a disposable one, and I certainly was not expecting a disposable truck for that amount of money!:bandit:

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I don't know what to tell you. I do wish you luck.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
They told me that wifey's car needed a new engine last week.
Yesterday it is just something with the fuel system.
Wait and see what they really find after the initial diagnosis.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry to hear your problems!!! thats a lot of stuff happening. It might be the cat problem too since you have oil consumption. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got word today, that the cost to teat the engine down to find the problem that caused all this will be $1,500. My 3 calls to Nissan have resulted in me being assured that I would hear from a district rep. next business day have resulted in 3 consecutive days of NOT hearing from district rep. The total cost for the known repairs is now $11,000!!!! If, and only if, they find nothing else. Anyone have any ideas how to help?:crying:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TitanOwner2008 said:
Seems a little steep since a new engine cost $5400.00 from Nissan.
$5789. to be exact. Plus labor. 14 hours to tear old one down. Not looking pretty. Can I trade it off? Well, after it's fixed yeah. As it sits, what is it worth?

Found an almost exact set of circumstances:

check out thread "titan dies on road today" from this board. I tried to post link, but not allowed. Posted by dandy in march 2004.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts