Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some Feedback for Good Tires

My '06 Titan has some wearing thin Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's and they need replacing in a oil change or two. I have the stock 6 Lug 18"s; looking to powder coat my extra set of stock wheels black and get the new rubber.

I have no modifications or anything special. Just looking for a nice piece of tread for occasional desert fun and highway runs to work and back. I have done some searching around but got no where since my experience in this important department is lacking. The different types and widths of tires etc what will fit (30-33"s)..money is somewhat limited but I want to pay for what is going to last awhile and look good doing it.

Appreciate the feedback.

(I have been a mole on this forum for a long time since I got my Titan; have read a lot)

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
my stock goodyears didnt last long, I installed the Coopers Discoverers and love them. Other tire to buy is Bridgestons Revos

·
Premium Member
58,355 Posts
I have the revos. They definitely have stiffer sidewalls and better traction especially in the wet. My only complaint so far is that my highway mileage dropped by about 1 mpg. Consumer reports says that the revos have one of the highest rolling resistance of any tires that fit our 18" rims. Having said that I will not go back to the Goodyears. 1 mpg is not worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
I've really liked my ProComp Tires. My next set I am hoping to get either the Xterrains or Xtreme Mud. For more road use though, the all terrain or xtreme all terrains would be better but still look 'truck'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 06 LE 4x4 and it came with B.F. Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A, P285/70R17, 2833 Lbs max rating. I pull a work trailer about 7000 Lbs and a boat trailer about 7500 Lbs. I go into dirt, but mostly hwy. Tires wear great and had no problems with them. There about $225.00 a pop here. I had Dunlop tires on other trucks, but they are a sticky tire and don't last. Here are some tire manufacturers. AUTOPEDIA®: Tire Manufacturers

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I have a 06 LE 4x4 and it came with B.F. Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A, P285/70R17, 2833 Lbs max rating. I pull a work trailer about 7000 Lbs and a boat trailer about 7500 Lbs. I go into dirt, but mostly hwy. Tires wear great and had no problems with them. There about $225.00 a pop here. I had Dunlop tires on other trucks, but they are a sticky tire and don't last. Here are some tire manufacturers. AUTOPEDIA®: Tire Manufacturers
Most people get less than 25k miles out of the OEM Rugged Trail. They are a sort of aggressive looking all season design, and they are often referred to as Crappy Trails. I thought they were an ok tire but mine lasted only 23k miles. I definitely consider them a soft rubber compound tire.

For the same price or less, there are much better tires, even BFG's AT KO is way better of a tire for about the same money. Also, very good for the occasional desert run. I also ran them, before my Toyo M/Ts. They have 30k miles on them, (IIRC), and have probably another 10k miles of tread left but they got extremely slick at 30k in the rain, (seems to be the downside of a hard rubber compound).

A couple of others that many Titan owners like are the Bridgestone A/T Revo, (in some sizes they are offered in both an P and a LT version), and the Nitto Terra Grappler A/T, (likely my next tire). Toyo that owns Nitto, also offers great tires, but they are more pricey, but their 17" and smaller A/Ts come with a tread life warranty ... 40k mile LT, and 50k mile P-metric.

Firestone Destination A/T and its sibling the Bridgestone A/T Revo have a 50k mile tread warranty in the P-metric sizes only, so would be good choices, but limits the size availability to around stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the link & more info about that Tire Size. Tires are everything. I will edit with a couple choices soon to keep posted what I get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NORCAL...I have 40k on my BFG Rugged Trails and have about another 20k to go. The tongue weight on 1 of my trailers is 650 lbs. One would think that the combined weights (tongue and trailer weight) would wear out the tires faster.

I would hardly call them CRAPPY. I have no Idea why YOUR tires only lasted 23K, could be poor maintenance to a lot of Off Road use. I don't know, I'm not there.

Tires cost a lot of money and only the buyer knows what kind of driving he/she is going to do. This forum is a starting point for opinions, but I wouldn't buy a make and/or brand because someone here said they are the best for "ME or OTHERS". Do your own research. Use the link I provided previously and read the reviews.

Outside of what everyone else says about a tire, one might agree that tires are like beer. If everyone like the same beer, there would only be one.

·
Registered
761 Posts
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-wheels-tires-brakes/87483-cooper-tires.html

I went with Cooper Discoverer AT's. 33" with no rubbing and I'm stock suspension and rims, 6 spoke 18". They are just amazazing in the snow and decently quiet on the road for an AT tire. I snagged them from a local place up here for $1028 out the door with their warrenty. Big-O could only get it down to $1250.

Just a tip. Once you figure out what tire you are going to go with. CALL AROUND!!! find who has the lowest price over the phone, then re-call another place and they will price match or beat it.

Edit: only downfall I have seen so far. They are a 3/4 ton tire so supposed to be at 60psi for towing, but 1" on each side was not getting worn. So I deflated to 40-45, much better wear but make the tire look like its low psi.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
NORCAL...I have 40k on my BFG Rugged Trails and have about another 20k to go. The tongue weight on 1 of my trailers is 650 lbs. One would think that the combined weights (tongue and trailer weight) would wear out the tires faster.

I would hardly call them CRAPPY. I have no Idea why YOUR tires only lasted 23K, could be poor maintenance to a lot of Off Road use. I don't know, I'm not there.

Tires cost a lot of money and only the buyer knows what kind of driving he/she is going to do. This forum is a starting point for opinions, but I wouldn't buy a make and/or brand because someone here said they are the best for "ME or OTHERS". Do your own research. Use the link I provided previously and read the reviews.

Outside of what everyone else says about a tire, one might agree that tires are like beer. If everyone like the same beer, there would only be one.
If you do a search here on TitanTalk, or any other Titan forum on: rugged, trails. crappy, stock tires, OEM tires, etc., I think you will find a lot of members have had very poor mileage out of the Rugged Trail tires that came with the Off Road Package.

Your not the first I've seen that has an opposing view of them, there have been a few. However, since there have been so very many members, (in fact the vast majority of Rugged Trail owners over the 4-1/2 years I've been a member here), expressing their experiences of very poor mileage with them, I believe that they are truly a poor choice, and therefore feel compelled to offer my opinion. Do a search here and you will see that you are in the minority on your positive opinion of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts