Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a problem with the engine light coming on because of the evap code even though the gas cap was on tight? I took my truck in because the engine light was on they did a diagnostic and said it was because of an evap leak because the gas cap wasn't on, even though I know for a fact that it was on tight. When the engine light came on the gas cap was the first thing I checked because I had that happen once before on my old saturn, but the dealership onsists thats what caused it because their computer said so. Now they want to charge me $102 for the service even though I have only had the truck since march and have only put 5000 miles on it. (and I purchased the full 100,000 mi warranty)

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Don't accept their answer. I have software that runs a diagnostic check, and the five Nissans I did an emissions check on, showed a slight EVAP leak. DO NOT pay them a dime and insist on a further analysis. Any EVAP problem is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! I knew it couldn't be the gas cap because I didn't even fuel up the day the service engine light came on, it was at least 4 days previous. The dealer gave some B.S. answer that it can take several days for the code to show up and turn the light on and the cap can be on just one click and unseal itself then reseal itself.(if that was the case it sounds like a defect to me) I didn't pay anything yet, but the manager is supposed to be contacting me.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, but just to correct myself, I bought it used with 17,000 mi on it and put 5000 mi on it myself so its sitting at 22,000 mi, but its still under warranty

·
Registered
495 Posts
My SES came on 4 times with the exact same code, P0456 (very small leak). This is a known problem and Nissan finally has a fix (I hope) with the filter kit . Insist on seeing the code or go to the autozone and rent the reader to see it yourself. I did this prior to bringing it to the dealer the 4th time to make sure they don't bs me. As it turned out, they were honest as expected based on past experience.

Edit: Forgot to mention they fixed mine even at past 3 yrs since it was an on going problem.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
mrgrim420 said:
Has anyone else had a problem with the engine light coming on because of the evap code even though the gas cap was on tight? I took my truck in because the engine light was on they did a diagnostic and said it was because of an evap leak because the gas cap wasn't on, even though I know for a fact that it was on tight. When the engine light came on the gas cap was the first thing I checked because I had that happen once before on my old saturn, but the dealership onsists thats what caused it because their computer said so. Now they want to charge me $102 for the service even though I have only had the truck since march and have only put 5000 miles on it. (and I purchased the full 100,000 mi warranty)
I just had mine fixed under waranty. It was the same code and was the evap canister. They replaced it and it's fine now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How much would it cost to get this repaired if your truck was out of warrenty? My truck keeps throwing the same code. After awhile it has been restting the light, as luck would have it though the light keeps coming on everytime I want to stop and price a new truck. Maybe it's telling me something.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Isn't that part of the emission system and should carry the 8 year 80,000 mile warranty? I'm not sure how long the emission warranty is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts