Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My service engine soon light came on last week right after i filled up with gas. I made sure the gas cap was on tight and a few trips later the light went out. Just like the owners manual said. The light came on again the other day during normal driving. Any ideas? Help needed.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
TFRIZ said:
My service engine soon light came on last week right after i filled up with gas. I made sure the gas cap was on tight and a few trips later the light went out. Just like the owners manual said. The light came on again the other day during normal driving. Any ideas? Help needed.
What about taking it to the dealer and asking them to service the engine? Seems that would be the logical step when the light comes on, but that is just me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
TFRIZ said:
In which hole did you put the gas in? :jester:

In your defense, sometimes service people won't do anything unless the service engine light is on and there are fumes coming out of the hood.

At least they might be able to extract a failure code.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rrumaner said:
What about taking it to the dealer and asking them to service the engine? Seems that would be the logical step when the light comes on, but that is just me.

do you think it is normal for a vehicle with less than 3000 miles to have the service engine soon light to come on? Should the engine need service? I realize that i can take the truck to the dealer for service. It is just the principle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
TFRIZ said:
do you think it is normal for a vehicle with less than 3000 miles to have the service engine soon light to come on? Should the engine need service? I realize that i can take the truck to the dealer for service. It is just the principle.
I think you are on the right track, wait and teach that oxygen sensor a lesson! Parts and systems that malfunction must be taught a lesson. Besides, if the engine REALLY needed service don't you think you would see smoke, hear grinding, or have trouble starting?

·
Registered
739 Posts
The light came on in my CR-V after two or three months. Had to change the oxygen (or CO2) sensors. It happens to even the best built vehicles/companies.

Sensor problems seem to be a big issue with all vehicles now adays.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
TFRIZ said:
So what if it only has 3,000 miles on it. Something is wrong and needs to be checked. How hard is that to accept? You did get a 3/30K b-2-b warranty when you bought the truck didn't you?

What is the big deal?

·
Registered
429 Posts
TFRIZ said:
TFRIZ- I know you may not want to take it in I would feel the same way especially since it seems to be fine running but if if the light keeps coming on that certainly is an indication of a problem. What could be a minor thing could turn out to be more serious perhaps you even being stuck on the road and having it towed. I read this car magazine recently sating that there have been large increases in computer chips going bad in new vehicles. And we all know that chip does a lot of thinking. Hopefully it is not that but the warranty will cover that as well. Please post the end result of this problem you are experiencing . Take Care!!!

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
TFRIZ said:
I think it would be better just to put some warm clothes, hiking shoes, bottled water and power bars in the back seat and continue to wonder about it.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
bestatchess said:
I think it would be better just to put some warm clothes, hiking shoes, bottled water and power bars in the back seat and continue to wonder about it.
And don't forget the batteries for the flashlight and radio.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can take it to an Auto Zone they will do a scann for free! Then you can know what is going on and will also know if the dealer is being dishonest! :upsidedow

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you fill your tank while the engine is running and the Emission system just happens to test itself at the same time, it will find an EVAP small leak and turn on the SES light. Once it tests itself again and there is no leak than the light should go off. As for the normal driving conditions incident, it could be anything, you should get it looked at!! :cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is very common. Your first clue was when it happened; right after you filled up. It's very likely your gas cap is not on properly or it's defective.

Cheers,
...Colin

·
Registered
93 Posts
Seems to me I have seen something on this forum about making sure you turn the gas cap 3 clicks after it's tightened after you fill up with gas. Have you tried taking the gas cap off and then putting it back on - with the engine off of course? I had an Explorer that was sensitive about the gas cap and the Check Engine light would come on if the cap was not tight. As someone stated before it could be something really minor and you may end up having the dealer check it out before it's all over.

Good luck!

:cheers:

·
729 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to check engine codes easily.. For example, my SRT-4 allows me to turn the key to the on/off position 3 times, and then the code number is displayed where the digital odometer is. That would be very handy, along with a factory code listing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Procedure

ekool said:
I wonder if there is a way to check engine codes easily.. For example, my SRT-4 allows me to turn the key to the on/off position 3 times, and then the code number is displayed where the digital odometer is. That would be very handy, along with a factory code listing.
There is a way to get codes from the vehicle without tools!!
This is the procedure:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition to the on position and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat folowing procedure quickly 5 times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress accelerator pedal.
b. Fully depress accelerator pedal.
3. wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the mil light starts blinking.
4. fully release accelerator pedal.
note: It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
The ECM returns to normal conditions when ignition switch is turned off.
The number of blinks indicates the DTC code!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Titanparts1 said:
There is a way to get codes from the vehicle without tools!!
This is the procedure:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition to the on position and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat folowing procedure quickly 5 times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress accelerator pedal.
b. Fully depress accelerator pedal.
3. wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the mil light starts blinking.
4. fully release accelerator pedal.
note: It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
The ECM returns to normal conditions when ignition switch is turned off.
The number of blinks indicates the DTC code!!

This smells of april fools!! :jester:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Titanparts1 said:
Actually it's not, I read that right out of the service manual!!

I wouldn't do that to you guys!!
section #, page #, and page # for codes!
:coolsmile

1 - 20 of 34 Posts