Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck threw a code Tuesday morning
P0456
EVAP Emission
Control System
Leak Very Small

I replaced the gas cap (just in case) and have 100 miles on that and SES is still on. I had a something replaced under warranty for the EVAP control at 30K. Now 44k I need to know what this is and how bad it is. I just filled up with gas so I will get an idea of how bad it hurts my gas mileage.

Also Ilooked under the truck right behind the fuel tank and there is some sort of emissions box that has a few hoses going in and out and there is a smaller gadget next to it that has hoses going and out of it. None of these hoses have hose clamp but feel tight, for what ever that is worth.

Anyone have this code/problem and have to pay to have it repaired?

Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Replacing the gas cap was the right thing to try. If that was the problem I would expect the CEL to have reset within 100 miles. You must have access to a code reader since you know the code - have you tried clearing the code to see if it comes back. If it does, I would take it to the dealer. Their tech machines can read sub-codes you can't see with a code reader that will likely pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The local auto parts place does a decent job at reading codes. Just for fun I am going to my old Gas cap on my other truck and see if it throws a code. If so I might have to have the code cleared.

No haven't visisted the dealer yet, BUT it looks I might have to. I have been doing some looking around on line and there is a recent TSB on the EVAP control valve sticking open. If I canget the part I will repalce that but as I was crawling under the truck this evening I noticed my right side axle seal is leaking. So I need to get that squared away ASAP.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the 142 miles mark after replaceing the gas cap the SES light went out. I called the dealership to make an appointment and he told it would take 26 key cycles and driving before the SES Code would clear if I fixed the problem. He also said that after market cap will not work on any Nissan, if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I have been running for 22 months with a Stant locking gas cap and never had an SES light illuminate.

·
Registered
196 Posts
same here on the stant locking cap - 16 months and 28k with no code thrown. I'm glad you solved your problem.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Check your hoses for cracks around the fittings, that will give you a code

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still no code after another 150 miles this morning. I bought a Stant regular cap and seems to be what the problem was.

Tomorrow I am going to get out the hose clamps and put them on all those hose cennections that don't have clamps. The way I see that will be a problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Shane06fl said:
Still no code after another 150 miles this morning. I bought a Stant regular cap and seems to be what the problem was.

Tomorrow I am going to get out the hose clamps and put them on all those hose cennections that don't have clamps. The way I see that will be a problem.
If its the plastic canister that I think you are talking about, dont waste your time. On the left side of the vehicle there is a plastic box with some hoses coming into it, this isthe evap control assy. They are at very low pressure, no need for a hose clamp. The only problem that you may have, is with the valve which twists into the control box. If you do not see a round container attached to this (filter) then you can get that to stop this from getting gunk in it and failing. But there is no need for hose clamps, or they would have been there.
PS there is a bulletin about these valves and the addition of a filter.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will crawl under and look for the filter on the valve.

I had the axle seal replaced today and asked the mechanic to kindly check that out to make sure all was okay, he did and said it all looked fine. Still no SES light. I think the gas cap fixed it.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I've had the SES Light come on on two occasions. Both after getting on the throttle a little. I have a Stant Locking Gas Cap & both times all i did was unplug the Negative Battery Terminal for 10 mins. This caused the light to turn off both times. If it does it again i'm going to put the original cap back on & see if it continues to come on. The only reason i even have the Stant is my crackhead neighbors have been known to steal peoples gas. I don't trust 'em!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have about 3000 miles on new gas cap, no code.

I thought all Clearwater had was retirees, now there is crack heads!!

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I thought all Clearwater had was retirees, now there is crack heads!!
your absolutely right. Hence, the locking gas cap. Bought a different locking gas cap. 600 miles,No problems. (you need the 1/4 turn locking one, not the threaded one.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts