Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2011 Titan CC 4x4 SV FFV for my wife for Valentines Day. I drove it to 500 miles (regular gasoline). I then started putting E85 after 500 miles on it (mainly because 2.96 per gallone is eaiser on my wallet then 3.45 a gallon) now as of yesterday it has aproximately 1500 miles on it. Yesterday afternoon the SES light came on. Took to Autozone and put an OBD II on it and it gave 5 codes errors ranging from main cylinder missfire to main vaccume hose leak. Had wife put REAL GASOLINE (no ethenol content) in tank. Took to dealer this AM, (light was on all night and all the way to dealer) When I got to the dealer, the light turned off when service wrighter started the truck. WTH?????

anyone out there have experience with this>????

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Nothing is perfect so I wouldn't sweat it, im sure the dealer will get it figured out. I know its frustrating I have been there and done that but just blow it off.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just got off the phone with the service guy...
he said the computer does have a code fault BUT....
the part the code is saying is at fault is acutally working..??...

·
Premium Member
58,579 Posts
I purchased a 2011 Titan CC 4x4 SV FFV for my wife for Valentines Day. I drove it to 500 miles (regular gasoline). I then started putting E85 after 500 miles on it (mainly because 2.96 per gallone is eaiser on my wallet then 3.45 a gallon) now as of yesterday it has aproximately 1500 miles on it. Yesterday afternoon the SES light came on. Took to Autozone and put an OBD II on it and it gave 5 codes errors ranging from main cylinder missfire to main vaccume hose leak. Had wife put REAL GASOLINE (no ethenol content) in tank. Took to dealer this AM, (light was on all night and all the way to dealer) When I got to the dealer, the light turned off when service wrighter started the truck. WTH?????

anyone out there have experience with this>????

I'm not going to comment about the SES light coming on with E85 and not with gasoline, or the merits or demerits of using it, but you are not saving anything by buying E85 at the price you have quoted.

A gallon of gasoline has 125,00 btu's per gallon of available energy. Ethanol has 84,600 btu's per gallon of available energy. Using a little simple math, E10 commonly available around most of the country has 121,566 btu's of available energy per gallon and E85 has 90,660 btu's per gallon of available energy.

I am assuming that like most of the country, E10 is what is available in your area. E85 has 74.58% of the available energy in a gallon of E10. Until the price of E85 drops below 74.58% of the price of E10 it is not worth purchasing. If E10 is running $3.45/gal in your area, E85 needs to be below $2.57/gal to break even.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's what the dealer has told me:
Code showing main cylinder miss fire. The service tech could not find the problem and had to call the "tik line" or "tech line" for Nissan USA. Only match to my problem is when vehicle is filled up with 1/4 or less tank of gas going from E85 to Gasoline or vise versa the ECM attmepts to compensate for the octaine change and the code is thrown. Remedy: dont fill up truck with E85 or Gasoline with less than 1/4 tank of the oposite in the tank....

WOW! i have an E85 compatiable vehicle.....but with restrictions??????

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Here's what the dealer has told me:
Code showing main cylinder miss fire. The service tech could not find the problem and had to call the "tik line" or "tech line" for Nissan USA. Only match to my problem is when vehicle is filled up with 1/4 or less tank of gas going from E85 to Gasoline or vise versa the ECM attmepts to compensate for the octaine change and the code is thrown. Remedy: dont fill up truck with E85 or Gasoline with less than 1/4 tank of the oposite in the tank....

WOW! i have an E85 compatiable vehicle.....but with restrictions??????
That's actually a good idea and makes sense.

You have to remember that the truck is going to dump a lot more fuel into the engine when you run e85 than when you run regular gas since E85 doesn't have ability to make as much energy. That's one reason FlexFuel Titans naturally run richer than non FF Titans.

The ECM would have learned the fuel settings for regular gas, then all of a sudden it's running solely E85 and not producing the power it should be making. It's starving for fuel and the ECM has to relearn the fuel settings for E85 and takes a while for it to do so.

As mentioned before, you're not going to be saving any money by running e85 over regular gas. You're also going to get 20-25% less fuel economy, hence the reason for not saving money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts