Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a month ago my light came on. read the code and it said bank 1 and 2 below threshold.. replaced the upstream 02 sensors.. still have code.. then thought maybe the cats were stopped up so i gutted the upstream set of cats (since i have rear resonators) still have the code after cleaning cats. then i knew i had an exhaust leak at the manifold so i replaced them with headers. still have the code now.. what else could be setting this code off. i know i am still running rich because of excess exhaust and smell..

anybody have any ideas on this? i have spent right at a grand already and can't get this thing taken care of

thanks in advance

russell

·
Registered
855 Posts
disconect your battery and let it sit over night, itl reset the computer and the light will go off. Of you fixed the problem it will stay off but if the problem was not fixed itll come back on shortly.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Had the same problem, it turned out to be my crappy magnaflow cats. You can use defoulers which helped me when trying to pass emissions but that does not change the fact that they need replaced. If you have a tuner that is probably why.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have no cats after header install. my tuner has been set to stock settings and it still came back on. so maybe i needed to install new cats with the mufflers? seems like my gas mileage has gone down after the headers were put on..

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well if you have no cats that is why you are getting the code, you can still try defoulers to space your O2 sensors away from the main stream of exhaust. If that does not work Uprev or new cats is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
sure wish the exhaust shop would tell you what you need to do.. they gutted my cats and said it would be fine then later installed my headers and didn't attach aftermarket headers.. this is aggrivating.

my upstream 02 sensors are in the collector of the new dt headers.. if i add cats how will this affect the reading? they will be after the 02 sensor.. seems like i should have done alot more reading so i could have told the "PROFESSIONALS" how to do their job.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
There is a TSB on resetting the ECU after those codes. I can't find it quickly but I had to go to Nissan to have them do it. My Actron will erase the code but won't prevent it from using the old parameters.

You could try this:
From Technosquare website:

Please read all instructions and be familiar with them before any attempts.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

ECU Resetting Procedures

The Easy Method:

After experimenting with different timing, and reading posts by other members, I've come up with a condensed method of doing this reset. This method works EVERY time, even w/o a stopwatch. I've used this method successfully a dozen times, or so, now w/o a watch. After a few times, you won't need a watch or instructions. You'll get so darn good at it, you'll find yourself doing it while waiting at a traffic light.

Timing is not as critical with this method...no stop watch needed. Just count in your head...one-one thousand, two-one thounsand, etc, or use stop watch. The most critical step is step #3....wait 10 sec, instead of 7.

1. Ignition "ON", count to 3.
2. Depress/Release pedal 5 times...hard and fast.
3. Count to 10 (not 7!) and fully depress pedal
4. Count to 12 (SES should be blinking), release pedal
5. Count to 10, depress pedal
6. Count to 10, release pedal.
7. Turn off ignition, then start engine. Done!

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning
Operation Procedure

1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
Operation Procedures

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
Operation Procedures
1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys for the responses.. hopefully some more people will chime in.. if uprev will take care of it I will sale my bullydog and buy uprev

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I've been running with no cats for 6K miles and no codes. I used 2 spark plug de-foulers on each side. When I used 1 one each side I threw a code, put 2 on each side, No codes. When you screw your 02 sensor into the de-fouler it wont go all the way into it. It will go in about 3 threads. That's how mine is and it's fine. Go to autozone and get you some of the longer ones. I have a thread on here somewhere what part # it is. I'm going to dinner now but I'll try and find it later. Just do a search on it and see if you can find it.

Do you know your AFR? My exhaust smells like yours and I'm not running rich, it smells like that because of not having cats. I bet de-foulers (2 on ea side) and you will be fine:)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no i don't know my afr.. i posted the other day asking how to find it in the bdgt but never saw any response.. i think i saw somebody saying that it has that function... i will do some research on the defoulers.. thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
First off I would like to know the error code you are getting? for example.....Pxxxx Also what year is your titan?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
p0420 and p0430 both are catalyst system efficiency below threshold one is bank 1 and the other is bank 2. i have a 2006

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The upstream sensors are for your AFR your second set of sensors read to make sure you cats are operating correctly. So replacing the upstream sensors would not have fixed anything. You can do the de-foulers, or do uprev , or just add in some cats where the stock resonators are and move the second set of sensors behind the new cats. No need to have the wires extended for the second sensors .. just un-clip the harness from around the transmission and they should reach behind the new cats.

And the resonators are not cats ... unless you have a 4x4 ... even then you would need to move the second set of sensors behind the secondary cats on a 4x4 with long tube headers installed.

·
Registered
469 Posts
import2nr is correct you will need to move those sensors behind the cat. Also Uprev can get rid of that code all together, I myself have no cats on my truck and Uprev fix me up so I have no codes either :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok well the plan is i am going to go get some defoulers and see what that does and if that doesn't help i will just sell my tuner and get uprev it looks like...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts