Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the install went pretty smooth. I also installed my 5100's on the hightest setting (turned out to be a mistake. See attached photo). The UCA tube is hitting the side of the coilbucket, so I obviously need to correct this but I am not sure which is the best/correct way..

If I move the shock setting to the middle postion, how much clearence will I gain vs the lowest setting? The part that annoys me, is that I had done reasearch on this before I bought the kit and no matter how much I read, I still confuse myself with this whole issue. :huh:

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
You have to put the 5100's on the lowest setting for non pro4x models. If you are Pro4x you have to run a similar setup as mine.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just have an 06 4x4 with the BT pkg. So I won't gain enough clearence with the middle setting? Thanks AZPRO4X

·
Registered
234 Posts
put them on the middle setting..someone else on here has the same set up with the 5100 on the meddle setting. only thing he did have to do was a pwm. which is no big deal.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I just have an 06 4x4 with the BT pkg. So I won't gain enough clearence with the middle setting? Thanks AZPRO4X
From what I've heard, the only way to get rid of severe contact is to use a smaller spacer, like a 1.5" PRG. A 2" spacer might be enough, but if not, you'd be in the same boat.

You can grind the lips where the contact is, but it looks like the RC tube will hit the main part of the bucket anyway. Preload isn't supposed to add to the bucket contact, so I'd get a new spacer. Someone measured the 5100's and said they were a little longer, but their spring perches are higher, and PRG told me that's what gives the extra 1/2" of lift when you use the bottom perch. The other alternative is to use the latest revision PRG UCA as they provide the most clearance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellas. What makes this frustrating is that you get several opinions on the same situation. So without considering the spacer, my understanding is if I use the loweset setting, I should only gain 1/2" from the shock only due to the perch location? I don't have the time for the truck to be down any longer. I just removed them off of the truck and am getting ready to take them to the shop to have them adjusted again. I wish I could find out how much clearance I would gain dropping down to the middle position vs the lowest. I'm guess here, but I would say an 1 inch or so.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Preload doesn't cause coil bucket contact. It doesn't lengthen the strut. You will have as much contact on the lowest setting as on the highest setting.

·
Registered
899 Posts
That was the hardest concept for me to understand. Then, I cranked my PC coilovers about an inch and a half and the UCA didn't move at all. Then it all started making sense. The total extended length of the strut/spacer or coilover is what causes the contact, and preload has no effect on the extended length.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NorCal was right. I put them on the lowest setting and still had the same amount of contact. So I removed the spacer and will sell/trade it for a smaller one. It was a good learning experience for me and now I have a full understanding of how that stuff works. With the spacer out and the 5100's on the lowest setting, I still managed a little bit of lift. Even though I'm bummed out because I don't have the look that I want after all that work, the 5100's ride beautifully. I'll put a smaller spacer in there and I'll be real close to level.

Another good note, along with all of this suspension stuff over the weekend, I bedlined my rims. Which I was very happy with the end result.

NorCal; can I use the factory end links with the smaller spacer like we talked about, or should I use the extended ones that came with this RC kit?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I would use the aftermarket ones when you add the spacer and/or set the 5100's on a higher setting. I think that the sway bar turning can be caused by either type of lifting. < edit ... I am now 99.9% sure that preload lifting will not necessitate a longer aftermarket endlink, because it doesn't push the lower control arm down like a spacer or a longer strut does ... the swaybar endlink attaches to the LCA so the taller spacer/longer struts pushing it lower would affect the links, but preloading the coils with a higher spring prech on the 5100's doesn't change the strut length just makes the spring compress less under the truck's weight.

It happened on mine when I flipped the hats on my DRE coilovers, (which is like adding a 2.5" spacer plus they had preload too for 4" of lift). You're probably fine for now with just the 5100's, but at the top setting plus a 1.5" leveling kit, you are probably getting into the range where you should use them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I'll hang onto them and sell the spacers then.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spoke to RC this morning about perhaps swapping out to a smaller spacer. They said negative and that I either have to put factory struts back on or take off the kit. He said that they 5100 is only to be used with a .5" to 2.5" kit.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Sell your RC spacer then buy a Tuff Country spacer like I did and you wont be out any money.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sell your RC spacer then buy a Tuff Country spacer like I did and you wont be out any money.
This is the route that I ended up going with.

The 1.5" spacer from Tuff Country was at my doorstep friday and installed it over the weekend with the 5100's on the middle position. That setup raised me 3 inches, which put me level with the rear. Truck looks awsome and the 5100's ride like a freaking dream.

Reactions: AZPRO4X

·
Registered
56 Posts
So freaking glad I found this thread!

I installed the RC 3" with UCAs and Bilstein 5100s set to the middle setting today. Although not as severe as the pics above, I'm getting CB contact after grinding off the lip... I may grind a little more off to see if that solves it, but I may just go this route. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Add an a taller bumpstop too ... from the RC website's pic, they don't include them, and pushing the LCA down with a taller spacer will prevent the short stock one from contacting the frame to stop the compression cycle, so the strut can bottom out. There's a thread on here of a guy that bent his strut and swaybar endlink, most likely because of this. $15 to $20 at an auto parts store. Stair strpped cones. Prothane makes them.

Bent strut and broken endlink ... RC 3"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Add an a taller bumpstop too ... from the RC website's pic, they don't include them, and pushing the LCA down with a taller spacer will prevent the short stock one from contacting the frame to stop the compression cycle, so the strut can bottom out. There's a thread on here of a guy that bent his strut and swaybar endlink, most likely because of this. $15 to $20 at an auto parts store. Stair strpped cones. Prothane makes them.

Bent strut and broken endlink ... RC 3"
Yup that was me (bent strut). Ordered new 5100's, bump stops and 1.5 tuff country spacers. going to set the 5100's in the middle setting and hopefully will be ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm glad I just read this too! Hey Corbin, thanks for the great information in your write up. I have the same model as you, but an 07. If I were to do the same installation as you did and used the low setting and a 1.5" spacer, what do you think my total lift would be in the front. You said three inches with your set up so would it be safe to assume I would get 2.5 and a little less than level?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I'm glad I just read this too! Hey Corbin, thanks for the great information in your write up. I have the same model as you, but an 07. If I were to do the same installation as you did and used the low setting and a 1.5" spacer, what do you think my total lift would be in the front. You said three inches with your set up so would it be safe to assume I would get 2.5 and a little less than level?

Thanks again!
Bottom 5100 setting gives 1/2" lift and middle setting 1.5", so with a 1.5" leveling kit, you'd get either 2" or 3". You could run either of these setups with stock UCAs on an '04-'07.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts