Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting ready to level the T and fellow members suggest I replace the rear shackles due to some failures. Question, do I need to get the rubber bushing insert for the new Nissan shackle? On another post, someone had told me Nissan's new shackle is part number 55220---I hope this is the new and improved one. And I wasn't sure what came with it.

thanks

dave

·
Super Moderator
160,780 Posts
Typically, the bushings don't come with the new shackle. Re-use your old ones.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Not sure on price difference but I would look at the PRG shackles before buying the Nissan ones, maybe not enough price difference to get the PRG ones which I am sure are better.

·
Super Moderator
160,780 Posts
I'm sure Greg's are better, but they're $140 while the '08 OEM ones run <$60. Less than half the price, so if you don't need the height adjustability of the PRG ones...the '08s will hold up under anything you ought to be asking your truck to do.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
There's no grinding to be done with the 08+ shackles, but with the PRG set there is.

·
Super Moderator
160,780 Posts
That's true, too. Didn't think of that, but you're right.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had read that about PRG shackles and for the price, I figured I would go OEM new style. I'm not going to be doing anything crazy with my T.

I just wanted to know what parts came with the shackles because I will be ordering online. Our local stealership employee's are buttholes and the less I have to deal with them, the better my life is.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I had read that about PRG shackles and for the price, I figured I would go OEM new style. I'm not going to be doing anything crazy with my T.

I just wanted to know what parts came with the shackles because I will be ordering online. Our local stealership employee's are buttholes and the less I have to deal with them, the better my life is.
I picked up a used set from an 08 Titan forum member . I never did get a definitive answer if the OEM 08+ shackle came complete with the inner shaft and bushings in place. A couple of guys said yes, and a couple said no.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Will have to PM BigBruno then on it and find out what they come with. Why did you have to grind the PRG shackles? I don't want to mess up that purdy finish they have, but I should get mine ordered from David and get those on before they become an issue down the road. I saw some pics once of the 08 factory shackles but can't find it again, would like to compare them to the PRG ones to see the difference, other than the lift which I wouldn't use anyhow.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
That picture is the old style shackle without the welded back plate. Here's my 08 shackle pic:
Not true...The Courtesy Link is showing the newer style..
The bushing is pressed in and should come installed in the replacement shackles...

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Will have to PM BigBruno then on it and find out what they come with. Why did you have to grind the PRG shackles? I don't want to mess up that purdy finish they have, but I should get mine ordered from David and get those on before they become an issue down the road. I saw some pics once of the 08 factory shackles but can't find it again, would like to compare them to the PRG ones to see the difference, other than the lift which I wouldn't use anyhow.
The grinding is done on the part the shackle mounts into, not the shackle itself. There are a couple of tabs that need to be ground off because the PRG shackle uses nylon face bushings, and they would wear off rubbing against those tabs. There's a few threads here with pics for the PRG shackle install.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awesome! thats what I need to know. I was planning on buying from courtesy anyway.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Not true...The Courtesy Link is showing the newer style..
The bushing is pressed in and should come installed in the replacement shackles...
Look closely at the pic I posted; the right shackle shows the backside of the shackle and has that backing plate. To me, the Courtesy pic is not showing any backplate, just like the old 04-07 shackle.

Never mind, after I expanded the Courtesy pic by 400%, it looks like there is a back plate...lol.

·
Registered
152 Posts
hello iam new to titantalk, i have a 06 nissan titan, and want to level the rear, i have been between suspensionmaxx shackles or prg shackles dont know which ones to go with. could use some advice from some people thanks

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
hello iam new to titantalk, i have a 06 nissan titan, and want to level the rear, i have been between suspensionmaxx shackles or prg shackles dont know which ones to go with. could use some advice from some people thanks
I know nothing about Suspensionmaxx....could be a fine set of shackles...or could be junk...BUT I do know the PRG are race quality made in the USA...:)

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I don't think you can get 2" drop from shackles. The PRG shackles cost more, but would appear to be substantially more robust.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts