Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't think that comes by it self might have to get the linkage or Might have to match it up with some thing after market .or get a rubber insert and c clip to fit

If u don't know how it works u can't fix it......Sent from my titan

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried calling around and still couldnt get an answer. I also dug through the internet trying to find that part but no luck yet. So I ziptied the shift cable to the arm so I could drive my truck again. This has got to be a common problem if this part just deteriorated like that.. all the older 2004 and 2005s hopefully see this thread. Because I feel it would happen eventually to all of them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think that comes by it self might have to get the linkage or Might have to match it up with some thing after market .or get a rubber insert and c clip to fit

If u don't know how it works u can't fix it......Sent from my titan
Yeah I could seee having to order a whole new shift cable linkage just for this 1 cent part.

·
Registered
154 Posts
did you eventually repair that broken piece...I have an 04 and it just happen to me......or do you have a pic of the zip tie repair

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did you eventually repair that broken piece...I have an 04 and it just happen to me......or do you have a pic of the zip tie repair
I didnt take pics sorry! I should have :banghead: But if you could that would be great! I ran zip tie through the shifter cable end and the mount and snugged them tight where it would have orinally been.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just had it happen to my 2005, and was able to figure it out before I found this. I was backing out of the driveway, and went to shift to drive, and it felt like the column shifter just broke loose, and freaked me out. Pushed the truck back into the driveway, shut off the engine, but couldn't get it to turn off completely, as it was stuck in ACC. First thought was that the transmission went out, but logic kicked in and made me realize the transmission would not make the shifter act like that. Took the covers off the steering column, moved the gear shifter, and saw the linkage just hanging as the shifter was moving. Same as other people, the plastic piece had shattered into a bunch of pieces. Got a zip tie, tightened it down as much as possible, and good to go.

Now I wonder how many people this has happened to, they get the truck towed to Nissan or wherever, and are then told it's a transmission issue, when in fact it's a .10 piece of plastic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just had it happen to my 2005, and was able to figure it out before I found this. I was backing out of the driveway, and went to shift to drive, and it felt like the column shifter just broke loose, and freaked me out. Pushed the truck back into the driveway, shut off the engine, but couldn't get it to turn off completely, as it was stuck in ACC. First thought was that the transmission went out, but logic kicked in and made me realize the transmission would not make the shifter act like that. Took the covers off the steering column, moved the gear shifter, and saw the linkage just hanging as the shifter was moving. Same as other people, the plastic piece had shattered into a bunch of pieces. Got a zip tie, tightened it down as much as possible, and good to go.

Now I wonder how many people this has happened to, they get the truck towed to Nissan or wherever, and are then told it's a transmission issue, when in fact it's a .10 piece of plastic.
Thanks for providing the pics! This seems like its going to be on everyones truck mod list shortly. My zip tie is just fine and I keep a spare in the glove box just in case...but I don't think I will I have any worries.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for providing the pics! This seems like its going to be on everyones truck mod list shortly. My zip tie is just fine and I keep a spare in the glove box just in case...but I don't think I will I have any worries.

No problem, I figure it may save someone from freaking out, or getting taken by an auto repair shop.

I see we think alike. I put a few spare zip ties in the center console for just in case. My only concern is how long the zip tie plastic may actually hold with the movement on the linkage. I set a reminder on my phone to check once a month, until I feel certain it's going to hold.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
No problem, I figure it may save someone from freaking out, or getting taken by an auto repair shop.

I see we think alike. I put a few spare zip ties in the center console for just in case. My only concern is how long the zip tie plastic may actually hold with the movement on the linkage. I set a reminder on my phone to check once a month, until I feel certain it's going to hold.
Gotta say GO CANES... first miami fan ive seen on here

Sent from my Big @$$ phone...

·
Registered
1 Posts
This cable cost $30 at the dealer and takes about 3hrs to installed. I did it in 3hr dealer says 4.5. The hardest thing is 2 #10 screws on the fire wall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had this happen and bought the part. It's cheap, but the install looks like a pain. Are there any manuals that have the install directions?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I had this problem about week ago-
My local dealer sells the whole cable for about $30
Instead of spending hours swapping out the cable
I just used an axle nut & crimped down the prongs & a zip tie. Hope this helps anyone looking For a quick fix until their part arives

1 - 20 of 54 Posts