Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone yeah this is my first post, so go easy on me :)

I live in maine where we get our share of bad weather. I've been looking at Titans for awhile and there is one locally that is a very good deal almost to hard to pass up, but the catch is it's 2wd.
I have never driven a 2wd truck up here, so for people that might have a 2wd would this just not be worth it?

what are your experiences?

I want to lift it and put on 20's most likely, but i would keep the stock rims and get the best snow tires i could buy for winter and with sand bags could the truck handle safely in snow, without killing me or someone else?

Anything else i could do to make it handle better?

Should i just fork up the extra for 4wd?

Thanks

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
We do not get alot of snow here, but with a good set of tires and a tru-trac, I think you would be fine.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Go with the 4x.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
you live where it snows a lot. go with a 4x4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We do not get alot of snow here, but with a good set of tires and a tru-trac, I think you would be fine.
snow in maine, I dunno what are you talking about:D

Yeah normally I wouldn't consider a 2wd, but $10k for an 04 with 23k on it in flawless condition, in my color to boot has got me questioning that, still might not be worth it..

Trutrac is an LSD system correct? would this be a big help for a 2wd?

I know the 04 is a first year model, but they seem to be reliable from what i've read. Although he has had the brakes replaced under warranty already, but there is a known braking issue correct?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts

I know the 04 is a first year model, but they seem to be reliable from what i've read. Although he has had the brakes replaced under warranty already, but there is a known braking issue correct?
trutrac is a locking on the go system. not a limited slip. VERY big help for 2wd.

if he had the brakes replaced under warranty, then you should have no probs. have a mechanic check the differential before buying it.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I do ok when I. Take my truck to the snow with weight in the bed and air down my terra grapplers from 40 to 35 ish but I don't live in it and they keep the roads well plowed for tourists in minivans and **** up at tahoe. That is a cheap truck and a true trac will help but if I lived in snow I'd have a 4wd. I wouldn't want to have to deal with a foot or two of snow in a 2wd

·
Registered
122 Posts
I live in delaware and have absolutely no need for 4wd. We don't get too much snow, in fact this whole winter we only got one big storm and that on produced 6" of snow. I drove all day in it though with my 2wd lifted (6") titan. I didn't even need the sand bags in the back. I also go offroading every once and a while and have never gotten stuck. I go through all of the same places my friend with a 4wd jeep goes. When I was first buying a truck I thought buying 2wd was a bad idea but now I can see it wasn't bad at all because I have never needed 4wd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trutrac is a locking on the go system. not a limited slip. VERY big help for 2wd.

if he had the brakes replaced under warranty, then you should have no probs. have a mechanic check the differential before buying it.
Ok thanks for clarification.

I didn't ask him but would the titan still be under warranty because of the low miles or would the year have put it out of it?

Has there been a recall on the rear diff, or are you sheet out of luck if it goes? Is it common?

sorry for the million questions.
Also don't want to sound like i'm set in my ways on getting the 2wd, just if i can make it work safely I see know reason not to get it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
obviously living in the south i haven't dealt with snow except for once but my 2wd handled better than expected...i can really coment on mud...i just have all terrain tires and they hardly spin out in the mud, and this is without the trutrac system.so i would say go with it but i held out to get the truck i wanted and if you feel like you need 4wd a reasonably priced one will show up soon enough

·
Registered
187 Posts
Help me out here...becuase, i thought the E-Locker that came equipped on my 4x was the locking on the go system, whereas their truetrac was their limited slip.

OP: Just for fun, why not check out and haggle a few dealers with 4x4 Titans and weigh the difference in costs?

There is an old saying with guns and 4X4's, better to have them and not need them then need them and not have them

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
My 1996 Olds Cutlass work beater car is needing replaced and I've been considering a cheap used 2wd for a beater....

but then again, I still have my 4wd if I need it tho too.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
snow in maine, I dunno what are you talking about:D

Yeah normally I wouldn't consider a 2wd, but $10k for an 04 with 23k on it in flawless condition, in my color to boot has got me questioning that, still might not be worth it..

Yes, the tru-trac is a LSD and it would be a big help for our one wheel wonders!

Yes, we did have brake issues and that should be taken care of on that truck.

I believe that is incorrect. The tru-trac can transfer power to different tires, it doesn't just lock!

First year, you put down the cash and roll the dice.
My 04 has been a great truck so far and I have 83000 miles on it!

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I grew up in Boston, my first truck was a '84 Toyota pickup 4WD. I never turned on the 4WD in the snow unless I was using the plow on it. Good tires should be enough to get you through, especially if you stick to primarily plowed roads and not trying to plow through 6+ inches. If you find you need a little more traction, throw a trutrac in...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

I do ok when I. Take my truck to the snow with weight in the bed and air down my terra grapplers from 40 to 35 ish but I don't live in it and they keep the roads well plowed for tourists in minivans and **** up at tahoe. That is a cheap truck and a true trac will help but if I lived in snow I'd have a 4wd. I wouldn't want to have to deal with a foot or two of snow in a 2wd
Yeah winter budgets for portland are big and they do a decent job of keeping the roads clean. I don't live in the country or have a long driveway i live in the middle of a city otherwise 4wd would be all i would consider.

First year, you put down the cash and roll the dice.
I agree, but i'd rather have a first year nissan then a ford per se

I live in delaware and have absolutely no need for 4wd. We don't get too much snow, in fact this whole winter we only got one big storm and that on produced 6" of snow. I drove all day in it though with my 2wd lifted (6") titan. I didn't even need the sand bags in the back. I also go offroading every once and a while and have never gotten stuck. I go through all of the same places my friend with a 4wd jeep goes. When I was first buying a truck I thought buying 2wd was a bad idea but now I can see it wasn't bad at all because I have never needed 4wd.
Nice thats good too know, i always thought delaware got more snow then that. More then likely though my truck will be a road Queen

obviously living in the south i haven't dealt with snow except for once but my 2wd handled better than expected...i can really coment on mud...i just have all terrain tires and they hardly spin out in the mud, and this is without the trutrac system.so i would say go with it but i held out to get the truck i wanted and if you feel like you need 4wd a reasonably priced one will show up soon enough
Thats what i've been thinking but the dealers are looking for close to 17k-20k for 04's and 05s and even though its a buyers market alot of the owners are pricing there titans high, it could just be a maine thing. The guy selling just bought the truck to haul stuff when he needed too must be nice!

Help me out here...becuase, i thought the E-Locker that came equipped on my 4x was the locking on the go system, whereas their truetrac was their limited slip.

OP: Just for fun, why not check out and haggle a few dealers with 4x4 Titans and weigh the difference in costs?

There is an old saying with guns and 4X4's, better to have them and not need them then need them and not have them
Thats a great saying and yeah its always better to have something then not have it, i don't want to be regretting my decision. My logic is with the cheap price if could put money into it and get it to handle decent.

Yes, the tru-trac is a LSD and it would be a big help for our one wheel wonders!

Yes, we did have brake issues and that should be taken care of on that truck.

I believe that is incorrect. The tru-trac can transfer power to different tires, it doesn't just lock!

My 04 has been a great truck so far and I have 83000 miles on it!
awesome :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Isn't 4wd a little cheaper than your first fenderbender from not having it??? :D

x2 on getting the TruTrac and good tires regardless if 4x4 or 4x2.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I live in CO with snow! Although this year we havn't really had any snow in Denver...anywho my u-joint went out on the front driveshaft so I took it out until I could get it fixed. Well we did have snow and driving in it SUCKED! You have to figure though, how much snow do you get? If you can find a Titan with 4wd get that instead of the 2wd. But if you really like it, get it, get tru-trac and hope for the best. The money you'll spend on 20's and tires plus super duper snow tires for the 18's and the tru-trac, you are spending almost the same amount either direction you go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Isn't 4wd a little cheaper than your first fenderbender from not having it??? :D

x2 on getting the TruTrac and good tires regardless if 4x4 or 4x2.
Haha i can count on someone bumping into my car first, i usually have to parallel park for work and sometimes when I'm at home when the GF is parked in the driveway.

I live in CO with snow! Although this year we havn't really had any snow in Denver...anywho my u-joint went out on the front driveshaft so I took it out until I could get it fixed. Well we did have snow and driving in it SUCKED! You have to figure though, how much snow do you get? If you can find a Titan with 4wd get that instead of the 2wd. But if you really like it, get it, get tru-trac and hope for the best. The money you'll spend on 20's and tires plus super duper snow tires for the 18's and the tru-trac, you are spending almost the same amount either direction you go.
Very good point, with the Tru-trac and super duper tires thats probably close to $2000 I'm guessing

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
i'm not sure how much trutrac is.. however the tires without a doubt will cost a lot. If you get 4wd you can keep the stock tires as those are good enough for snow. I have the crappiest of crap tires on my titan (worse than the goodyear sra tires!) and they did awesome when we did have snow (and I had 4wd).

Or you could buy an offroad toy? If I didn't have 4wd in my T I'd just use my Bronco lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts