Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd see what some of you guys think.

I haven't gotten around to doing the IPDM relay recall. Haven't had any kind of problem with my Titan not starting. I'm at 76k miles on my 04 and I'm thinking it might be prudent to let the dealership take a look at my exhaust manifolds before I get out of warranty just in case they've got any issues.

So I'm wondering if I should get them to do the IPDM recall at the same time. On one hand, I'm always reluctant to fool around with a good thing - there's always the chance the dealership could screw something else up. On the other hand, I'd hate to be stuck somewhere because I didn't get the relay changed. I also want to get some kind of visual verification up in the air that the exhaust manifolds look like they're going to be fine.

So 3 questions:

1. What would you do? Leave well enough alone or take it in?
2. What's the frequency of IPDM relay failure, and is there some pre-warning or does it just go and leave you stuck?
3. Where do you look for cracks or damage on the exhaust manifolds?

Thanks~

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Get the IPDM recall done and have them inspect the exhaust manifolds.

·
Premium Member
58,769 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
it it done!!!!!! I didn't have any problem on my 04 and then one day driving down the interstate my truck shut off on me doing 75mph. It was crazy my brakes stopped working for the most part and I couldn't really strear the truck, I used the snow banks on the side of the road to slow down. It happened twice on the way home, then next day it died on me again and wouldn't start for 2 hours, stuck on the side of the road in 0 degree weather with no heater sucks. The day after that it wouldn't start at all. I had to have a roll back come and take the truck to the dealership. So I would say take your chance if you want, but I hope you keep a change of underwear in your truck.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I need to get the IPDM recall done on my truck as well, but I've been hesistant into bringing it in. If they could replace the relay as soon as I get there without having to leave it with them for most of day, then I would do that. However, it seems you always have to leave it with them for most of the day even for a simple procedure as R&R'ing the ECU relay. This shouldn't take no more than 3 minutes tops to do something simple like this. And, when I go there, they always want to do a complimentary wash/wax with their dirty rags that have been used on the last 100 trucks that came through the dealership. So, you have to keep on top of them because if you don't, they'll go ahead and wash it anyway even when you told them specifically to NOT wash it.

Checking for cracked exhaust manifolds when you bring it in won't be free of charge. They'll want their $85 "diagnostic fee" to check them. They shouldn't charge you to check a known common problem like that, especially if you're bringing it in for other recall work, but they do.

If I had it my way, I'd just buy the ECU relay on my own and replace it myself. Unfortunately, I don't think you can purchase the relay individually. You have to buy the whole IPDM module to get it. It's just another scam to get you into the service department so they'll get credit from Nissan on the recall work. They don't call them stealerships for nothing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
they will charge u the $85 to check them but if it turns out to be cracked then you don't get charged the $85

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
they will charge u the $85 to check them but if it turns out to be cracked then you don't get charged the $85
The dealers usually have a nasty habit of turning deaf and blind when you bring it in for them to check the exhaust manifolds. A lot of owners on this forum have complained about this. You bring it in, the dealer gets your $85 diagnostic fee and tells you nothing is wrong. A few months later, you start experiencing major (cracked manifold) symptoms and bring it in again, only for them to now admit that they are indeed cracked. This way, they not only get to keep the $85 diagnostic fee when you first suspected a problem, but they get reimbursed from Nissan for doing the warranty repair. A nice win/win situation on their part if you ask me.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If I had it my way, I'd just buy the ECU relay on my own and replace it myself. Unfortunately, I don't think you can purchase the relay individually. You have to buy the whole IPDM module to get it. It's just another scam to get you into the service department so they'll get credit from Nissan on the recall work. They don't call them stealerships for nothing.
Actually you can buy the new ECU relay and change it yourself. When it officially became a recall, Nissan cheaped out and all of a sudden just the ECU relay was for sale and they did not replace the whole IPDM anymore. Go figure.

Anyways, I think I paid like $2.50 for one, so I bought another one and keep it in the truck. It took me a while to get the old one out. I never had a problem with my truck, but for only $2.50 I can get the "fixed" version so why not. I still haven't got the fuel sender unit recall done though. Mine works fine and I don't want them to tear apart the truck for something that is still working.

In general, I stay clear of dealerships. Although, the 2 times I've been to Riverside Nissan for warranty stuff I didn't have any problems. They replaced my manifolds at 78K miles with no questions asked and no haggling or anything.

To the OP, definitely get your ECU relay done. When the ECU relay starts to go, the computer tends to dump extra fuel into the engine which is no good for the cats. I'd recommend just buying the relay and doing it yourself, its really easy and cheap.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Why NOT do the recalls? It's a recall for a reason.

·
Premium Member
58,769 Posts
my brakes stopped working for the most part and I couldn't really strear the truck, I used the snow banks on the side of the road to slow down. It happened twice on the way home
So let me get this right. After your truck died, left you with no brakes, and you had to hit snow banks to stop it, you cranked it up two more times and drove it home? :bang:

·
Premium Member
58,769 Posts
Checking for cracked exhaust manifolds when you bring it in won't be free of charge. They'll want their $85 "diagnostic fee" to check them. They shouldn't charge you to check a known common problem like that, especially if you're bringing it in for other recall work, but they do.
When I had my Titan in for a recall they went over the whole truck looking for anything that they could fix. They did it for free. Ask them to take a look and see if there is anything they think needs to be done on your truck and give you an estimate. Mention the manifolds. When you pick it up they will give you a list of things that they want to do. If the manifolds are not on it, you're good to go.

·
Registered
397 Posts
So let me get this right. After your truck died, left you with no brakes, and you had to hit snow banks to stop it, you cranked it up two more times and drove it home? :bang:
lol yeah I drove it home, I wasn't sure what was wrong with it. I never got a recall thing in the mail. I only found out because I called my buddy that worked there and he said it sounds like it could be the ECU relay. I did get off the interstate though and took back roads real slow.... But it was cold out and I wasn't going to wait 2-4 hours for a tow truck to come.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Actually you can buy the new ECU relay and change it yourself. When it officially became a recall, Nissan cheaped out and all of a sudden just the ECU relay was for sale and they did not replace the whole IPDM anymore. Go figure.

Anyways, I think I paid like $2.50 for one, so I bought another one and keep it in the truck. It took me a while to get the old one out. I never had a problem with my truck, but for only $2.50 I can get the "fixed" version so why not. I still haven't got the fuel sender unit recall done though. Mine works fine and I don't want them to tear apart the truck for something that is still working.
Thanks! I'll just go and pick one up from the parts dept and do it myself. Much better for me that way.

I hear you on that. Like the saying goes...if ain't broke, don't fix it. Whenever you have them tear into something that ain't broke, the potential for future problems arising from the repair, or items that have to be removed for the repair, increases.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
JDMartin....

Your name isn't Jack is it? If so....do you happen to be from Nebraska?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^Nope, not Jack, and not from Nebraska :D Been called Jd most of my life..

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I went ahead and did the recall. Took quite a while. While I was there they looked at my exhaust manifolds (free of charge). Said they looked good, no cracking. So that was good to hear. They also offered to sell me brakes at $599, which made me laugh since I already bought everything to do them myself for $150 and that includes new rotors and the ceramic brake pads (I hate brake dust). I politely declined. They also said I needed to get some seat belt recall latch done, which they had to order parts for. Anyone messed with this? Is it for the front seat or the back seat?

While I was waiting, I checked out the 2011 Titans. Really not a whole lot of difference between it and my 2004 other than a nicer interior (better console & materials IMO), a power rear window and the assisted tailgate. I guess there's also some brake upgrades and work on the rear axle, but all in all I'm pretty satisfied with how my first year Titan holds up against the newer ones. If it was cleaned up, parked next to each other in the same lot 99% of the population wouldn't be able to tell which is which.

·
Premium Member
58,769 Posts
While I was waiting, I checked out the 2011 Titans. Really not a whole lot of difference between it and my 2004 other than a nicer interior (better console & materials IMO), a power rear window and the assisted tailgate.
Drive one and you will notice a big difference. I had a 2006 SE 2WD CC with big tow. It was totaled. I now have a 2011 SL 2WD CC with big tow.
Although the trucks are outfitted very similarly, the two trucks drive very different. The 06 was a beast. It roared and snorted and hauled ***. We made jokes that you had to throw raw meat at it before you got in in the morning. The 11 is slower, quieter, and much more refined. It was like I went from a motocross bike to a goldwing. Ultimately though I like the beast better.

·
Super Moderator
37,256 Posts
I still have a few of the relays left for this recall ... the dealer is cheaper, but if you don't want to hassle with the dealer you can get them from me.

:)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Drive one and you will notice a big difference. I had a 2006 SE 2WD CC with big tow. It was totaled. I now have a 2011 SL 2WD CC with big tow.
Although the trucks are outfitted very similarly, the two trucks drive very different. The 06 was a beast. It roared and snorted and hauled ***. We made jokes that you had to throw raw meat at it before you got in in the morning. The 11 is slower, quieter, and much more refined. It was like I went from a motocross bike to a goldwing. Ultimately though I like the beast better.
Hmmm....I think I would like mine better as a beast. It's already pretty quiet, but I like the nice exhaust note it's already got and I already object to the torque between the tow gears like I had on my last T and the non-tow gears that I've got on this T - I can *definitely* notice the difference off the line.

But I did like the interior - since my interior's starting to show some wear, I may do a little work and outfit it somewhat like the newer T's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts