Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I don't have a Titan yet but I am thinking I might just get one. At least once the locking diff becomes available(whenever that is). I test drove a King Cab(I will get a Crew Cab) and it does have an awesome motor. I have a 01 Supercrew 4x4 and it is a nice truck, but what the heck you only live once, so I am researching the Titan. Tell me what you think:

1) If the tow rating is 9500 on a crew cab LE and you do the tow math GVWR - truck and load = tow rating( I think I got that right) what can one actually tow? 4x4 CC LE with Big Tow package.
2) When is the locker due?
3) Does the dash squeak? I thought I heard some noises on my test drive.
4) What about that Dana 44 rear? Is it enough for what is darn near a 3/4 ton rig?
5) Does anyone have the XM option?
6) Any problem getting the air bag options?
7) You guys that have had one for a while does the ride still please you like it did when you test drove it?
8) Any word on what the 2005 model might bring?
9) Rumor has it Toyota is bringing out a 5.8l 360 horse HD Tundra. Any scoop on that one?
10) Have there been any line changes to address known issues such as Tailgate problems, etc.?
11) Does everyone like the interior including the dash board?
12) Heck, anything else that pops to mind would be appreciated!

I know that is a lot but just pick and choose what you would like to comment on and number it for me. I thank you very much for your time. I have read most every post but I think I would like direct feedback.

FNG Titaneer : :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
You mean you haven't gotten one yet?!?!?! LOL

Tell me what you think:

1) If the tow rating is 9500 on a crew cab LE and you do the tow math GVWR - truck and load = tow rating( I think I got that right) what can one actually tow? 4x4 CC LE with Big Tow package.

The tow rating of 9500 is what you can actually tow with the truck...sticking to the 80% rule for safety, you can tow 7250 easily.

2) When is the locker due? After April this year from what I have read.

Mine Doesn't.

4) What about that Dana 44 rear? Is it enough for what is darn near a 3/4 ton rig? The Dana 44 is a 'proven' design. I am not worried about it holding up.

5) Does anyone have the XM option? No, but will eventually and do the install myself.

6) Any problem getting the air bag options? Don't have the 'extra's.

7) You guys that have had one for a while does the ride still please you like it did when you test drove it? We can't STOP driving this thing. 3700 miles in 34 days of ownership.

8) Any word on what the 2005 model might bring? Rumors have it soemtime in the future maybe a supercharged version.

9) Rumor has it Toyota is bringing out a 5.8l 360 horse HD Tundra. Any scoop on that one? No idea.

10) Have there been any line changes to address known issues such as Tailgate problems, etc.? Don't know if they have 'changed the line' but my tailgate plastic was replaced by the dealer on Monday and all is well.

11) Does everyone like the interior including the dash board? It's not stunning to look at but everything is where it should be.

Why haven't you bought this truck yet! LOL

Other things to add: The power in this truck makes you feel like a high school kid again. The ride with the Off-Road Pkg is stiff but not overbearingly so imo. It's nice to own a truck you don't see on every street corner.

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
#3) (Dashboard squeak) I had a squeak coming from the panel under the steering wheel...I meant to fix it but now it disappeared on its own!

#7) (Fun to drive) I still love it a month after...I have had a good number of Fords and really "wanted" to buy Ford again. It was the handling and power of the Titan that swayed me away from Ford. Time will tell if it was a good move but I love driving it.

#11) (Dash Layout) It is simple..the Ford is better in my opinion but not by much. Just use the pedal on the right if you start to find the dash boring!

#12) (Anything else?) The Utilitrack system is awesome...I bet other manufactuers will have this very soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I appreciate the replys. I gotta run and will post more later, just wanted to say the above. :upsidedow

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Test drive.

Well, I went and test drove both the F-150 and the Titan. Spent over 30 minutes in both. Both are very nice trucks. I have a 01 Supercrew and the new F-150 engine is so very similar in performance that in the end I did not have a reason to move to a new 150. While the tow capacity is more and the interior is nicer than mine it is unimproved performance wise. I also thought it had too much highway road noise.

However, the Titan is another story again. The drivetrain is responsive and powerful, right now power, no waiting. The single most important thing, besides safety, is the drivetrain. There, the Titan is superior, period. Plus I like the steering response a little more than the 150, and I think the ride is slightly better(particularly over the rear end). The rear axle may be lighter and stronger, IMHO. So between the two, hands down Titan wins. If they were to put a solid 450 ft lb torque diesel in the 150 then I might rethink it. They are roughly similar trucks, drivetrain aside. I did like the rear seat foldup features in the Titan more as well as the fold down passenger front seat. Also, the F-150 is heavier and I assume part of that is due to the cast iron block.

When I decide to get one will depend on the rear locker availability, since I want one. I guess April or May. Their ordering methods at Nissan are to order only once a month and only then do they know about such things as availability. What do you guys think about all this? :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Titaneer,

Well since everything I have heared so far is 'April' on the locker waiting until May to get an April truck is going down the right road. It may help you though however to go in the end of March and talk to the fleet sales guy at the place your looking. If he is a smart cookie, he will listen to what you desire in a truck and make one of 'his' trucks and order for what you want (read-instant sale). Just a thought.

As far as the comparison, it was the Nissan power and responsiveness that drove me to this truck over the others as well (And the mags call it a twitchy throttle? LOL).

Chris

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Titaneer said:
Howdy folks,

I don't have a Titan yet but I am thinking I might just get one. At least once the locking diff becomes available(whenever that is). I test drove a King Cab(I will get a Crew Cab) and it does have an awesome motor. I have a 01 Supercrew 4x4 and it is a nice truck, but what the heck you only live once, so I am researching the Titan. Tell me what you think:
If you have taken a test drive you will know it's a better ride and you will get around a lot quicker for your MPG.

Titaneer said:
The CC LE tow rating is slightly lower due to the extra wieght of all the "goodies". I have used a Loaner to tow my 6000 lbs plus 22 foot trailer and it tows like a dream.
Titaneer said:
2) When is the locker due?
I would order with it and then wait until May/June delivery at the earliest
Titaneer said:
I can't tell if it's the dash or my Wife when I hit the gas!
Titaneer said:
4) What about that Dana 44 rear? Is it enough for what is darn near a 3/4 ton rig?
I may end up killing someone over this, "It's not a Dana 44" It is a totaly new design based on the Dana series of Rear End Assy. Only time will tell, but it seams pretty tough.
Titaneer said:
5) Does anyone have the XM option?
Nope, I plan on getting a Delphi Roady so I can use it in the Truck and Trailer.
Titaneer said:
6) Any problem getting the air bag options?
I heard yes, but just might have been an early production issue.
Titaneer said:
7) You guys that have had one for a while does the ride still please you like it did when you test drove it?
I wish I had my truck to give you a true review, but as long as you aren't on a concrete buckboard freeway, it rides great!
Titaneer said:
8) Any word on what the 2005 model might bring?
We will see in a couple of months, but for right now Nissan is pretty tight lipped.
Titaneer said:
9) Rumor has it Toyota is bringing out a 5.8l 360 horse HD Tundra. Any scoop on that one?
What is a Toyota?
Titaneer said:
10) Have there been any line changes to address known issues such as Tailgate problems, etc.?
I haven't seen any TSB's, but I'm sure there are some in the works.
Titaneer said:
11) Does everyone like the interior including the dash board?
Love it!
Titaneer said:

I know that is a lot but just pick and choose what you would like to comment on and number it for me. I thank you very much for your time. I have read most every post but I think I would like direct feedback.

FNG Titaneer : :cheers:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Titaneer said:
"Howdy folks,
I don't have a Titan yet but I am thinking I might just get one."

Bottom line...DO IT! After that you'll be asking yourself why you waited so long. :upsidedow

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to tell you guys.......

I heard that ticking sound at idle on the Titan I drove. I thought maybe the injectors clicking. It's very hard to hear, unlike the piston slap on my 150.
:gunz:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts