Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 05 with 77,000 miles, off road package and big tow. I have tried all my due diligence on reading the forums. I did notice rear brake shields stained from fluid and pinion stained. It does have the finned rear end cover. Truck looks taken care of. One owner for last 11 years and they put roughly 5000 miles a year on it. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I'm supposed yo pick up truck this weekend. Its color is alert red as well.!!!

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Weepy rear axle seals - common problem. I've had it on both of my Titans. I just check the rear diff fluid once in a while. Not even going to bother to fix it. Pinion stains, same thing. Unless you have an expensive driveway, I wouldn't worry about it.

Price: I think it should be cheaper. KBB say about $8700 private party. I think that's on the low side, but I would think around $10k or so should be pretty fair. Where did they come up with $13.5 as a value? Have them show you their justification.

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Agreed...the price seems high. No, change that...the price IS high! Unless the current owner has done lots of mods, parts replacements, new tires, etc, negotiate it down.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the truck to have it looked at. Rear axle tubes are leaking, pinion leaking. Needs shocks front/back, drives good, squeeky steering column drives me crazy, the cover on tail gate by handle needs a little two sided tape to hold it in place, lityle aurface ruat passanger side bedside, and I hear a slight exhaust leak that I can't find. Its around manifold and only hear it when you give is gas. So maybe a set of long tubes take care of that, a slight lift takes care of shocks... Rear end that's another story. I think their asking to much at 13,500 with the work that needs to be done.. Any thoughts?

· Registered
919 Posts
Shocks, struts, long tubes with uprev, and getting the leaking rear fixed looks to be about 3k. I would give the 7k and that's probably a gift. Its just not worth 13K to begin with and it needs work, if they don't drop the price, walk away unless you have some money you don't know what to do with.

· Registered
237 Posts
My 05 with 174,900 I picked up for $1,500.
Needed work, but it was nothing I couldn't fix! Love it! Put two thousand mile on it from last Thursday to today, couldn't ask for a better truck!
Works perfect for what I do for a living, not afraid to scratch it or dent it!

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm waiting on a call this morning from them to explain my issues. I was thinking they are to high if a price. Even though body and interior "looks good" there are issues. I'll make them an offer.... If they don't accept I'll continue my search!

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well they said price is $14,700 for the 05. I went and looked at a 2012 & 2013 today both loaded one with 38,000 miles and rear pinion was leaking and had a clunk in the front suspension I'm thinking it needed shocks. It already had new ball joints and axle shaft installed... And it only had 38,000 miles. They wanted $25k for it.
Then the 2013 had rear brake line leaking surface rust on back corner bed side, brake light was on, and all fluids was low. They said they will pit tires on it. It had 48k miles for $26,999.
Soooo out of the 3 the 05 was most least expensive and it was still to high in my book. But, it sure does look nice when I drive by it. I looked up replacement items for rear end... I'd have about $1400 with replacement axles and truetrac. Will that make the rear bullet proof so to speak? I think motor/trans is a strong key point for titan.

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Never fall in love with a used (or new!) vehicle unless money is no object. My opinion is that the price is too high. I would fly out to one of the eBay trucks first before I overpaid on something local.

· Registered
511 Posts
Wow. I don't think they really want to sell the truck. I paid $13K at a dealership three years ago for an 05, same color and miles as the one you're looking at and none of the problems except Midwest rust under it. Keep looking, better trucks for less money are out there. Offer no more than $7K, give them one week to call you. Meanwhile, keep looking as if you lost the deal.

· Registered
66 Posts
I definitely wouldn't pay over or near Blue Book for it with all those issues. I purchased almost the same truck as you're looking at a little over a year ago and didn't notice the exhaust leak. I paid BB and ended up doing the entire Cajun fix with UpRev...

The sad thing is that if they don't come down on the price, some other person not knowing what to look for will buy it and end up eating the cost.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have been searching still. I found a newer one "2012" and it's in great shape, 42,000 miles but it has a clunk in front end. Only hear it on speed bumps, pot holes, things that allow the front suspension to drop down. I wonder about shocks. Ball joints look good, new drivers side axle shaft has been installed at some point. It has rear pinion seal stain on housing which is not a bad fix, hole in muffler which will allow me to change cat-back system. Really like the truck and low miles. Working on a deal now as long as front clunk is not expensive fix. They will deduct cost to fix from amount that we settle at. Good thing this is not my first purchase... This will be around 25 cars I have owned.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
99 times out a hundred, what you just described ends up being a ball joint. if it is, do both sides at the same time.
That is what I thought to. Yet both lower ball joints looked new. The ring around the top of the lower ball joints was nice and shiny and the axle shaft looked newer as it still have the sticker on it. Kind of odd for ball joints at 40,000 miles isn't it? But this is why I asked them to diagnose it. I did get a call from them late in the day saying they are putting it back into service and will fix the issue. They think is might be struts... which it might be, and he said if so they will replace both sides. I also noticed the housing around the pinion seal was wet looking. I will have them look at that as well. I think the price is right for the low of miles on the truck. It seems of these little items seem to be normal items that go out. I would have thought Nissan would have taken care this type of loose ends so to speak of since the truck has been out for so many years. Once they are fixed do they keep reoccurring?

· Registered
511 Posts
A cheap ball joint will self destruct without much effort...perhaps a previous owner did the work trying to keep some costs under control. Shiny parts don't usually attract negative attention at trade in. Your guy is possibly on to something with the struts. I have occasions to hear what sounds like an upper ball joint clicking turn out to be the bearing plate at the top of the strut either failed or installed incorrectly. It happens.
My truck has original ball joints upper and lower + orig struts and are still good at 100K. Struts are set to be replaced next spring as a preemptive maintenance rather than a repair. You should note, that not all techs know there are different methods for checking ball joints based on exact suspension geometry. It's not a one size fits all diagnostic technique and in most cases a large crow bar is needed to check lowers with the truck off the ground. Good luck with your deal. You'll enjoy the truck once you have the keys.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well working on a deal now. I have them down to $24,500 on the 2012 pro4x with 38k miles. It had bad front struts on it they said. It has leather, sun roof, all options on pro4x except navigation and back up camera. Did these trucks have power mirrors

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I still have not purchased either truck. The dealer called my yesterday on the 2013 and told me it can't be certified since it is from Canada. But they still did the inspection for sale as if it was certified. So, I called a local dealer to run the vin and give me any information on the truck. Looks like a new front differential was installed in 2015, gauge cluster, gas tank float system and evac control system, air bag sensor under recall, new tail light bulb, new tires, new skid plates. All of these items were warranty things done to the truck. So my question is once the differential has been replaced do those issue come back up or are the replacement differentials stronger than the 2013 design? Not sure why the skid plates would have been replaced? Also my 2005 pathfinder seemed to always have gas gauge/evap canister issues. Is this a common thing with the Titan? I really really like the look of the Titan and want to pull the trigger, I am just nervous with the issues I read. A buddy of mine has a 2004 with 132,000 with very little issues.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.