Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my trucks getting toward 65,000. I still have 10,000 miles left on my dealer waranty. I really like this truck and I want to keep it for a while, but I think I'll be through that waranty by the new year. Should I get an after market waranty. Got a quote for 5 year 100,000 for 189 a month for 18 months. Yeah? No?

·
Premium Member
76,985 Posts
Hmm.....what does that warranty entail? How hard are you on your truck? If you beat on it all the time, it may be worth it.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm.....what does that warranty entail? How hard are you on your truck? If you beat on it all the time, it may be worth it.
I am kinda hard on her. Mostly this San antonio traffic. And the heat. I think it covers most everything. You can take it to the dealer, or any *** certified mechanic.

·
Registered
740 Posts
$3400 for an aftermarket warranty that probably has a deductible and does not cover many things that break often. That would take a lot of major repairs to go through $3400. If I were you, I would just save the $189 each month. That way if you need repair funds, you should have them. If no repairs are needed or less than the $3400 than you have all that cash in the bank. Thank of all the mods you can buy with that $. I paid $1400 for a 100k unlimited time bumper to bumper warranty when I bought the truck new. I will probably never need to use it to the amount of $1400 and will probably be out money. I hope I never need it. $1400 is a reasonable amount to me, but not $3400. How many vehicles do you know about that have had to have even $3000 in repairs before 100k miles? Probably not very many. I am not saying it does not happen, but very rarely. If they were not going to make $ on the deal they would not offer it to you. The odds are heavily in their favor.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$3400 for an aftermarket warranty that probably has a deductible and does not cover many things that break often. That would take a lot of major repairs to go through $3400. If I were you, I would just save the $189 each month. That way if you need repair funds, you should have them. If no repairs are needed or less than the $3400 than you have all that cash in the bank. Thank of all the mods you can buy with that $. I paid $1400 for a 100k unlimited time bumper to bumper warranty when I bought the truck new. I will probably never need to use it to the amount of $1400 and will probably be out money. I hope I never need it. $1400 is a reasonable amount to me, but not $3400. How many vehicles do you know about that have had to have even $3000 in repairs before 100k miles? Probably not very many. I am not saying it does not happen, but very rarely. If they were not going to make $ on the deal they would not offer it to you. The odds are heavily in their favor.
Nah, 0 deductible. And it does happen. How much do you think the parts and labor for a new transmition causts from the dealer? A/c work? I don't know if it will brake down on me, but from the looks of these threads, and how expensive repairs cost, i'm kinda nervous about my other waranty expiring.

·
Premium Member
76,985 Posts
True, the odds do favor those that sell the warranty. Myself, I'd just keep my money, but I'm pretty easy on my truck. Is that warranty good to 100,000 miles, or does it grant 100,000 miles when bought?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A head for a ford causts 2700 installed.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True, the odds do favor those that sell the warranty. Myself, I'd just keep my money, but I'm pretty easy on my truck. Is that warranty good to 100,000 miles, or does it grant 100,000 miles when bought?
Good to 170,000.

·
Premium Member
76,985 Posts
You may also want to consider how much your truck is worth presently. I know the depreciation value is terrible, so you may want to weight the difference in a warranty with deductibles vs biting the bullet and buying another truck when something major breaks. Why spend $3400 if the truck isn't worth more than 6-7K? Ya know?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may also want to consider how much your truck is worth presently. I know the depreciation value is terrible, so you may want to weight the difference in a warranty with deductibles vs biting the bullet and buying another truck when something major breaks. Why spend $3400 if the truck isn't worth more than 6-7K? Ya know?
There's no deductable. And if my truck has depreciated that bad, I'm buying a chevy LOL.

·
Premium Member
76,985 Posts
There's no deductable. And if my truck has depreciated that bad, I'm buying a chevy LOL.
:lol: I understand. But seriously, I looked up the blue book on mine with 50,400 miles, and it's worth a little over 10k in great condition. Heartbreaking. I've only had it just over three years and it's worth less than half of what I paid for it, and I didn't pay sticker.

·
Registered
740 Posts
A head for a ford causts 2700 installed.
Maybe at a Ford dealer, but probably not that much at an independant mechanic. I am the first to say that auto repairs are not cheap. My wife drives a Lexus ES350 and the dealership wanted $700 just for an oil change, power steering fluid flush and to turn the rotors. Of course I did not allow them to do that, I can put new rotors and pads at all four tires myself for almost half that. If she were to have a major repair needed I would not take it to a Lexus dealership. My wife drives 35k highway miles per year and a warranty will not last very long and be a waste of money for her car since it ends so soon time wise. I would be willing to gamble that you would not have $3400 in repairs. Another thing to think about is, will you drive 100k miles in 5 years? I value mileage over years in a warranty. I only have 25k miles on my truck in 2 years so it would take me 8 years to drive 100k miles if my driving habits stay the same. Therefore that particular warranty would only cover me approximately 62K miles when the allotted 5 years are up. To me it is worth the risk to not have the warranty, but I can come up with the cash if I need to for major repairs. If you cannot foot the bill for a major repair, than it may make sense. You will probably still lose money over the long run with that warranty, even if you do need some repairs. Check the fine print and see if you need to provide certain maintenance services to not void the warranty. My experience with warranties are that they are difficult, at best, to get something covered . You have to jump through hoops to get what they promise you and you have to follow their rules to the T or they have an out. I do not know about your dealer, but mine and most others I have been to have had very limited success when it comes to fixing a problem. I just get the typical "cannot duplicate the issue" or that is "normal for this truck" Just my 2 cents worth. :cheers:

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
What year is the truck?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Truck is 05

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
3400 is a lot of money.
Negotiate the price down.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Exactly 04-05 had the highest rear end issue, 06-07 had alot less, 08+ has nearly none but ive read about a few replacements.
Why are you still bothering us?? What happened to our month long vacation?

Sorry for the thread jack!

:rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts