Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure how to describe this other then when I am going down the road and stay at a steady speed between 45 to 55 mph more around 51mph I get a shutter almost like the truck is bouncing going down the road. Anyone else have this issue and have any ideas what would cause this? I have a 04 CC Big Tow w/ 100K on it exactly. It rolled today on my way to work :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
i had a similar shudder from 43-48 mph. turned out to be the front drive shaft u joints, see if there is any play in the drive shaft

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
how's your shocks and tires look?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I've had this since new even with the new wheel combo. According to the dealer this is "normal". I'm just waiting for the truck to fall apart on its own to get something else. just need a good excuse to do so.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
will do ... and is there a way to tell if it is the front or the rear being the problem?
Me too - front shaft U-joints. I'll post a picture tonight.
On mine it was the aft joint - one of the bearing cups had _zero_ needles in it - another had just a few. Obviously the rubber seals failed a while back and the bearings just rusted to bits. I believe the front joint is a lot better shielded from road spray and probably that's a factor in the aft joint.

Since you have to pull the shaft to replace the joints, and they're cheap - why would you not just do both ?

The OEM joint doesn't have a grease Zerk fitting - the replacements I bought do. OK - the factory joints were Spicer and good stuff, but even good stuff won't last long with no lubrication. I also flushed out all the grease that came with the new (Federal Mogul) joints and pumped them full of Swepco 101, a moly-disulphide grease that's excellent in CV joints. If they can handle Rzeppa CV joints, Universal-joint needle-bearing cups should be a walk in the park...

_This_ will cause vibration...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
When I had my transmission replaced with another used unit, I noticed that I have a vibration from about 40 to 50, but only in 4th gear.

Is it possible that the u-joints could still be the problem?

Any idea on what the dealer charges to change them vs buying the parts and doing it myself?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah...I would still think front u-joints. Mine were bad at 80k. Vibration/shutter from 45mph to about 65mph. Replaced the tires, had the alignment done twice before I found the TSB. The aft joint (closest to the t-case) was actually clicking at parking lot speeds. Once I got to speed the road noise drowned out the clicking, but the vibration was steadily getting worse. Once the front drive shaft u-joint were replaced (and the drive shaft balanced) all was smooth again.

Dealer wanted +$800 to do it, local Goodyear shop did it for $200...but I had just dropped nearly $1k on new rubber with them so I guess I might have gotten a deal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm also getting a driveline vibration at similar speeds and conditions. I have a 2008 with 44k on it. Would it be out of the norm for a worn u-joint with my year and the miles it has on it?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i had a vibration between 35-55mph and it turned out to be a bad rear pinion angle. w/ the miles i would guess u joints as well

·
Registered
122 Posts
i had a vibration between 35-55mph and it turned out to be a bad rear pinion angle. w/ the miles i would guess u joints as well
I tried a 1* pinion shim w/ no change at all. What year is yours? Do you know what degree shim was used?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
mine vibrated very bad for a solid 3 weeks at all different speeds. All of a sudden, it just stopped vibrating. I even took my truck into the shop and they couldnt figure what was wrong with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Billaj...from your description I bet you had mud or something stuck to a wheel or ? that finally worked its way free.

The fact that the stock u-joints lack a zerks fitting so they can be greased is surprising. I think ArtechnikA is right that the aft joint on the front shaft is doomed to fail due to the added exposure to the elements combined with the lack of a means to appropriately maintain/lubricate it.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I tried a 1* pinion shim w/ no change at all. What year is yours? Do you know what degree shim was used?
mine is a 2010 and i used a 1.5deg shim. i measured my angle prior to though, so i already knew what i needed

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
The fact that the stock u-joints lack a zerks fitting so they can be greased is surprising. I think ArtechnikA is right that the aft joint on the front shaft is doomed to fail due to the added exposure to the elements combined with the lack of a means to appropriately maintain/lubricate it.
I've done a bit of research on this and there is quite the controversy on 'sealed/lifetime' vs greasable U-joints, each method with its advantages and drawbacks. After reading the discussions, I'm still comfortable with my decision to use grease-fitting joints, but I'm not in a position to recommend them to everyone in every circumstance.

On my failed joint (especially) and to some extent the others too, it was obvious that the elastomer seals had hardened and failed. Once the seals fail it's really just a matter of time before the joint fails, no matter what kind you've got. Ozone and heat are contributors to the seals hardening and failing, which may be another reason the aft joint has a hard time - I think it probably runs hotter.

I also believe good grease can help the situation, and that you won't be getting the very best grease in a bargain joint. I have no idea what Spicer is using in their premium joints so I can't speak to those. But when I did my joints, I did flush the factory grease and use a product I have confidence in.

Yes, I have promised myself I'll get under there every autumn and grease them, and accept the consequences if I don't keep that promise...

·
Registered
122 Posts
mine is a 2010 and i used a 1.5deg shim. i measured my angle prior to though, so i already knew what i needed
I tried the 1* with no change at all, then I just tried 1.5* still with no change. If pinion angle was the 100% culprit I would assume even though I didnt have the correct degree there would be some improvement over 0*. How did you measure your angle and figure out what was correct?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
47k miles, front driveshaft aft u-joint. yanked it, brought it to rhode island driveshaft, 100 bucks they did both (spicer) with grease fittings, and balanced the shaft. wish I had thought about this before I had my rolling gear balanced 3 times.. fml

1 - 20 of 32 Posts