Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attention Nissan techs, dealer experts, or anyone who knows what to do here!!

I'm having an issue with my truck. After several months of small fixes and diagnostic fixes I'm guessing its a driveline or tranny problem. See below for my problem. If it is in fact a tranny problem I unfortunately have to go through the dealer. I have an 08' w/ 44k on the ticker so it should be covered under the 5yr/60k drivetrain warrenty. I say unfortunately because like others I have never had a good experience with dealers and I'm pretty sure they are trying to screw me regardless wheter I'm buying a vehicle or getting service. Sorry for all the legit dealers/tech but I have had some bad experiences.

Issue: I'm getting a shutter/vibration from the tranny/rearend between 40-60mph in 5th gear while goosing the gas a bit just enough to keep it going. I can replicate it all the way up to 80mph. If just cruising in that range it will vibrate on its own sometimes but not always. Its mainly occurs when I release the throttle and then apply a small amount of throttle again. Its almost like there is play in the tranny/driveline and the release or addition of throttle shocks the truck. Just picture throwing a rock into a lake...a big initial splash then a few seconds of smaller ripples. I can feel the everything from the tranny back shake. Dropping to 4th seems to make it go away or maybe just mask it somewhat. If its vibrating and I really get on the gas it goes away.

1: Balance tires - no change
2: Force balance tires - no change
3: Shims. Tired 1*, 1.5*, and 2* - no change
4: Dealer # 1 check while in during recall fix - no issue found
5: Dealer # 2 in for the vibration - "yeah its there, must be normal"
6: New rear shocks - no change
7: Replaced both u-joints on the rear shaft - no change...maybe a slight reduction
8: lubed slip yoke - no change
9: Pulled front drive shaft and road tested to rule in/out shaft - no change

So my issue now is how do I go about dealing with the dealer/techs. I don't care what anyone says....there is something wrong here. The shutter/vibration is NOT normal for a $40k truck. My dealer experience thus far:

1. Dealer #1 In for recall stuff. The tech takes a ride with me before hand and feel "a little something". He gives it a once over while doing the recall work and sees nothing abnormal. On my own fault they try hard to sell me some $100+ diagnostic fee which I have to pay if nothing is found. I tell them forget it becuase I forsee them saying "nothing found" and eatting $100 for nothing. Hard for me to trust some 24 y/o kid who cares nothing about my truck and his main concern is the service fee.

2. Into dealer #2 for the vibration. This time its my neighbor who is a service manager so I assume he will get to the bottom of it. He feels the vibration some what. They force balance the tires and its still there. "Yeah, we feel it. Must be normal...just drop to 4th when driving around" I can't complain much b/c he did this for free w/ no paperwork being generated probably to my benefit so the normal diagnosis can't be used against me in the future.

My question is how do I correctly go about having the dealer find this issue and fixing it. I'm not talking about going in there and causing a scene. What's stopping these dealers from not finding it or saying its normal then I'm up sh*ts creek w/o a paddle??? My latest idea is going to a private transmission shop for a diagnosis but I have a feeling Nissan won't care about anything but their findings. Recommendations or comments about my issue or dealer game plan??

Sorry for the long post but this truck is pissing me off!

·
Registered
260 Posts
You might have a tire that's actually bad. I had that problem with the tires that came with the truck when I bought it (some cheap Chinese all-season LTs). I went back and forth with the dealer a few times & they balanced them each time, but it never resolved. Finally they got me new tires (better all-terrain LTs) & the problem has been gone since.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might have a tire that's actually bad. I had that problem with the tires that came with the truck when I bought it (some cheap Chinese all-season LTs). I went back and forth with the dealer a few times & they balanced them each time, but it never resolved. Finally they got me new tires (better all-terrain LTs) & the problem has been gone since.
I had the stock Goodyears on and got my current tires 1.5 years ago @ 22k. I'm rolling on Toyo Open Country's. I'm not sure if the shudder/vibration was there with the Goodyears. I have had these tires balanced a few times with no luck. I've rotated them a few times too. The fact that I can reproduce it at will and its not a constant vibration make me lean away from the tires. I do have the old stockers laying around....for the hell of it I could try to swap them out and see what happens.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I think I found my issue but I'm not sure what's causing it. As I said, I'm get a rear end vibration that feels like an unbalanced tire at certain speeds/rpms. I first thought it was a driveline or tranny issue but that hasn't panned out yet.

I've been noticing the truck feels wierd going over potsholes and bumps. I poke around a bit and decide to give a nice downward jolt to the rear bumper while parked. You would expect for the rear to compress and bounce back up but it didn't. Instead the whole bed/rearend bounced and vibrated up and down a bunch of times before it finally stopped. Its not like a missing or blown shock bounce. Its very short and choppy. There is no way its normal. Pushing on the rear bumper or jumping up and down in the bed can reproduce it 100% of the time. It looks like its from the rear half of the truck. No cab bounce and if you look at the seem between the cab and bed its very noticeable.

To just isolate the cause I jacked the truck up with the jack under the rear diff to rule out crappy tires. Bounce/vibration is still there. I then jacked the truck up and supported the rear with jackstands under the frame. I dropped the axle so its hanging from the rear w/o the tires on the ground so the truck is now unsupported by the rear axle. Its still there and maybe worse now.

My guess is at just the right speed and gear, an other wise normal hard shift or gas stab for example, makes the perfect storm. Instead of the truck taking it like its supposed to and being unaffected its being transfered to the rear and the bed vibrates and bounces. I gave the rear frame rail, bed mounts, and bolts an once over and found nothing abnormal. Any suggestions based on what I found?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you figure out the issue? My truck has similar symptoms.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
My most recent addition is the PRG tranny mount but the symptoms still persist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts