Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gentlemen, maybe one of you can steer me clear on this. I recently raised my 2010 4x2 Titan with 1.5 spacers on the front and 2in blocks in the rear. I had it realigned and a cam kit installed to change the factory settings to get the alignment right. When I am decellerating usually around 35 to 30 (right around the shift point) I get a shuttering in the steering wheel. I had the tires rotated today and it is still there. Guessing it is not a tire issue, does anyone know what may be causing this? Anyone else who has lifted their Titan experience this and if so, how did you correct it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
you will need to measure your pinion angles and install the correct shims, unless you already have. its a very simple and common issue...especially with lifted trucks. i had the exact same issue on my 2010, but just at stock height. vibration right at 35mph (btw is when the torque converter unlocks) while slowing down....braking or not. i had to install 1.5deg shims

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you will need to measure your pinion angles and install the correct shims, unless you already have. its a very simple and common issue...especially with lifted trucks. i had the exact same issue on my 2010, but just at stock height. vibration right at 35mph (btw is when the torque converter unlocks) while slowing down....braking or not. i had to install 1.5deg shims
Can you explain a little more indepth about the measuring part of this? Is yours a 4x4? Mine is a 4x2 so there is not too much up front that can be causing this in my mind. What am I looking for when I measure? What exactly should I measure? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Where can you get the shims and what is the correct angle that they should be at so I can get the correct ones? My T is doing the exact same thing since I put the Rancho lift on it.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Any off road shop will have shims ..

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Can you explain a little more indepth about the measuring part of this? Is yours a 4x4? Mine is a 4x2 so there is not too much up front that can be causing this in my mind. What am I looking for when I measure? What exactly should I measure? Thanks for your help.
well it could still be numerous things causing this vibe...but it sounds very similar to driveline. ill try and make this as short as possible. mine is a 2wd btw. you will need to buy a angle finder or also known as angle protractor($10 at the hardware store). do not jack the truck up, weight has to be put on all the wheels like normal. find a level surface to park on to make it easier. now, move the truck so that the rear u joint is vertical and so that the face of the u joint is parallel to the ground. the optimum pinion angle is to have the #2 driveshaft angles equal and opposite on both sides..

1. Transmission and #1 driveshaft angle: mount the angle finder on an untempered and flat part of the transmission(probably the output shaft or yoke). note this angle. now place the angle finder on the bottom side of the #1 driveshaft. note that angle. now calculate the difference between the 2 angles to ensure that there is no more than i believe 1.5deg difference. if thats good move on. if not, take the truck to the dealer and have them fix it. a lift has absolutely no effect on this portion of your driveline unless you have a drop on the carrier bearing.

2. #2 driveshaft angle: Place the angle finder flush on the bottom of the #2 driveshaft closest to the carrier bearing. note that angle.

3. Rear pinion angle: since the truck has already been position in the correct place, place the angle finder flush with the face of the rear u joint closest to the pumpkin. ensure it is flush as the u joint is non magnetic. note that angle

4. now take the subtracted total from step #1 and subtract it from the angle in step #2. note that angle

5. the angle from step #3 and the angle from step #4 should be equal and opposite of each other. if so, you have no issue and start looking elsewhere. if not, find the difference between step #3 and step #4. that difference is the approx angle of shim that is needed to correct it.

hope this helped. it really only takes about 5-10min to do. best to rule it out. problems could also be a driveshaft out of balance or a torque converter shutter(which the dealer wont fix). good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VK56DEHAN,

Thanks for the info and you were dead on with the problem, I measured mine and then took it to an off road shop to have them measure it and we both came to the same conclusion that it was off by 2 degrees. Shims are being installed on Wednesday and hopefully will solve the problem.

Did this correct it completely for you? Do you have any other issues out of yours now?

Thanks again for the friendly advice and accurate diagnoses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts