Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to forums. This is my first time every joining one ! Pretty cool stuff I didn't know there was such a big site all for the titan.

Story goes like this:

I've had my 04 titan for about 10 years now. Got it at 120 000km, now its at about 278 000km and has never let me down! EVER !

I do all of my maintenance and repairs for basic to difficult.

My truck has Developed a clank, or a clunk, or a bang, or a knock (whatever you want to describe it as. The sound only occurs when you let off the accelerator, then it will clunk, sometimes once, other times 4-8 clunks. And it also does it when you re apply throttle from a coast (when your just rolling no load, then press the gas pedal) . It's driving me absolutely Insane.

At first it sounded like it was coming from the rear end, but I've changed both rear driveshaft u joints And greased the hell out of the skip yolk to no avail...

So I moved to the front d-shaft.
The u joints are perfect with no play but I ordered them off rock auto since I had a 5% off coupon and I needed the larger oil filters and some bushings for the sway bar and some end links.

The backlash seems normal to me, I am having some up and down movement where the front driveshaft meets the t-case. It sounds like the noise might be coming from the front forsure now.

This problem sounds just like a bad u joint but I cannot pin point it. I've read all the threads about loose trans bolts and front diff bushings etc but all is well and I triple checked it all.

I got so angry I took it to a well known mechanic (I hate taking my cars to a shop labour is ridiculous it's been years since I've been to one). He couldn't figure it out either and didn't charge me...

Took it to another shop and same deal... Couldn't figure it out and agreed the front u joints are fine and say the noise is definitely in the front portion of the truck.

Please help me... I'm tired of the sound And to be honest it's not a pleasant thing to hear at 6am driving 45km to work.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Check your trans mount, and if you have a 2pc rear driveshaft (rare for 4wd, but possible) check the carrier bearing mount.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ran into the same problem. I’m no mechanic but I swore it a metallic clunk coming from the front of the truck. It ended up being broken parking brake shoes, took multiple trips to the mechanic to diagnose. Worth a look

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your trans mount, and if you have a 2pc rear driveshaft (rare for 4wd, but possible) check the carrier bearing mount.

Hey, thanks for the input!
I have a 1 pc rear ds so it's not that, I checked the bolts to the trans but not the mount it self. Is it bolted to the cross member?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran into the same problem. I’m no mechanic but I swore it a metallic clunk coming from the front of the truck. It ended up being broken parking brake shoes, took multiple trips to the mechanic to diagnose. Worth a look
Last week I did all the leaf spring bushings , hellwig traction springs (thinking both of those would solve it and none did). I read on here that it could be the parking brake shoes but when I pulled the rotor off they are All intact and seated. This problem is related to the application of torque or force to the driveline I'm certain it has to be based on when the sound occurs ( letting off the gas= no more force , and applying gas = apply force to driveline)

Thanks for your input man ! Appreciate it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Last week I did all the leaf spring bushings , hellwig traction springs (thinking both of those would solve it and none did). I read on here that it could be the parking brake shoes but when I pulled the rotor off they are All intact and seated. This problem is related to the application of torque or force to the driveline I'm certain it has to be based on when the sound occurs ( letting off the gas= no more force , and applying gas = apply force to driveline)

Thanks for your input man ! Appreciate it
Of course! I assumed the same with mine. The noice occurred most when getting on/ off the gas, so I assumed it was the carrier bearing (mine being a 2pc drive shaft; 2wd). Ended up being the parking brake, took months to figure it out. Hope you find the solution!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course! I assumed the same with mine. The noice occurred most when getting on/ off the gas, so I assumed it was the carrier bearing (mine being a 2pc drive shaft; 2wd). Ended up being the parking brake, took months to figure it out. Hope you find the solution!

That's crazy ! A parking brake shoe making that sound would you believe it haha ? I honestly wouldn't even have checked if I didn't read it on here last week.
Thanks ! I hope so too.
Going to crawl under it at work tomorrow and check the trans mount like someone else just mentioned.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Yeah, the trans mount is a rubber bushing sandwiched between steel. The rubber tears and allows your trans a lot of movement. Can even be so bad the driveshaft yoke can strike the floorboard.

But for sure check your parking brakes and make sure the shoes aren't delaminating.

·
Registered
2020 Baja Storm Titan Pro4x
27 Posts
There is a guy called Aaron Hines on youtube who has videos on the Gen 1. Has about 35 videos on his page for them not sure if there is one for this, but maybe you can ask him. Says on his page he's a master mechanic, but I don't know him personally so I can't verify it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got under the truck today . The trans mount is torn to bits. Going to replace it with the 05 frontier mount . Hope it fixes the problem. And now the slip yoke is leaking trans fluid from the seal after I greased it.. need a new seal.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Glad you found the issue. When you replace the trans shaft seal, snap some pics and consider writing it up as a How-To. A quick search didn't yield any prior how-to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you found the issue. When you replace the trans shaft seal, snap some pics and consider writing it up as a How-To. A quick search didn't yield any prior how-to.

I'll be sure to do that. Going to try to get the mount locally so I don't have to wait for shipping. This sound needs to **** off right away lol.. now my armada needs a blend door actuator... Did it on my titan last year I have big hands and **** it was a mission. Under the drivers side dash .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts